Another kid who can't run starmade

Reaction score
    Alright so I bought the steam version of starmade, linked it with this account ect ect and I used to run the free version on an old laptop of mine but I got too big for my britches and I found out I can't build anything bigger than a quarter of a mil blocks without having a few .01 fps errors. Back on topic. New laptop. Fresh out of the box (for the most part it was just refurbished by the manufacturer due to an error in manufacturing) and I installed starmade from steam. Ran it, expected it to work just like before. Launcher worked. The window popped up to play starmade. Loading screen was normal. Hit 100% and it closed. Then I remembered the intel bug from a year ago and thought "No it couldn't still be there" so I launched it again. Still there. I spent a fair amount of time looking online for help without asking anyone and no one else had the same exact issue as me so I didn't dare try any of the fixes for fear of it screwing it up from fresh install. So I came here. I saw on the help thread there was a debug tool to see if I could run starmade. I feared the worst and ran it. It showed up green.

Code:
    Starmade System Checker Report  
    Thu 12/18/2014  
    13:50:34.46  

RESULTS:  
    Windows version: Windows 8.1 64-bit ....PASS    
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz  
    Memory: 12288MB RAM  
    Graphics Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family ....PASS  
    Java version: 64-bit Java 8 ....PASS

And I did skim the other threads for advice but have yet to do anything for fear of messing it up. If any additional information is needed, by all means, ask and I'll give it so I can get this damn game working.

Reaction score
    Please try to update your Intel Graphics Card driver, since older versions are known to cause problems with StarMade.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why do you have so much RAM for such a slow processor... If you have allocated more than 4 Gb as max to StarMade and/or, put it back to 4Gb. Also, don't try to force any Ram allocations. It will mess with your memory.

I often get issues with 100% loading when my settings are to high. So you also could try lowering them (and don't forget to switch 2d texture compression off, it only makes the game slower).

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Tell your Nvidia Control center to execute java in GPU only.
    Adding "javaw.exe" to program list in control center and setting it to 'GPU only' usually fixes it.

As the SMC probe detected only the Intel HD card.
    This is the 'power saving GPU' that may have issues with full GL support and may cause the shaders to crash on startup.

You may also visit the NVIDIA site and get the latest beta drivers for your card, as the stock drivers usually update to 'safe' but not to 'optimized' versions for maximum performance and support of functions.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Nvidia control center...? I don't have that...where would I get it? How would I find out what drivers are best for my card?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1418967308,1418965501][/DOUBLEPOST]

This is what happened when I turned off the shaders for atmospheres...

Reaction score
    • Tester
    i guess andy got confused there and did assume your Laptop (?wild guess?) has also a nvidia gpu as second one.
    have you manualy checked on intels webpage for the latest drivers ? Ih ave heared that the automatic updates do not deliver the latest driver packs.
    If it is maybe something else, are you able to upload the log.txt.0 (normaly newest timestamp) from a resent failed start atempt here?
    Its in your Starmade/logs folder.