Advanced Build Mode tools tutorial?

Reaction score
    New to this game (just started with v0.200.335), find it very compelling, but having some difficulties with build mode. It is clear to me that in order to create larger and more complex structures, I need to master the advanced build mode tools, but I feel like a child grasping in the dark. I have puzzled-out how to use templates that others have created, but I cannot understand how to use the selector tool to copy and paste, or to create my own templates. All I can do is save over an existing template in the list. There's no way to create a new one? That doesn't make sense. Can I read a tutorial somewhere that will clearly demonstrate how to use these? I have already found a pile of useless garbage where people ramble on while skipping over all essential points that I need to understand.

How do I select a volume of blocks to cut, copy, and paste?

How do I create a template?

What is the Create Docking tool? (I tried to use this and all it did was create a phantom ship core hanging in space that I could not select or access.)

What are the ODD buttons in the Symmetry Tool for?

Why are there no in-game tutorials for these tools? Are these tools new, so they haven't been fully fleshed-out just yet? Or are there an advanced set of tutorials that I haven't discovered?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    New to this game (just started with v0.200.335), find it very compelling, but having some difficulties with build mode. It is clear to me that in order to create larger and more complex structures, I need to master the advanced build mode tools, but I feel like a child grasping in the dark. I have puzzled-out how to use templates that others have created, but I cannot understand how to use the selector tool to copy and paste, or to create my own templates. All I can do is save over an existing template in the list. There's no way to create a new one? That doesn't make sense. Can I read a tutorial somewhere that will clearly demonstrate how to use these? I have already found a pile of useless garbage where people ramble on while skipping over all essential points that I need to understand.

How do I select a volume of blocks to cut, copy, and paste?
    The volume selected is adjusted with the standard brush size sliders. Set the size of the brush you want. Then under Selection click on 'copy brush'. It will change to 'select area', hover the cursor over the blocks you want to copy and click. You can then click 'paste' under Selection again and paste where you want. Note: The copy tool only ever copies in the one direction so you have to get good at placing temporary marker blocks in the corners of your copy area. Copies from top corner and pastes diagonal opposite bottom corner. You can rotate the copy in any direction. Mouse wheel rotates in one plain. the other plain rotations I've set custom and can't remember defaults so check in your options under keyboard controls for 'Copy Area Rotation' to see what yours are set to.

How do I create a template?
    Once a copy area is loaded for pasting the 'Save' button under 'Selection' will become active. Click it and a save dialogue pops up allowing you to name it. You can create a new name or copy over an old name.

What is the Create Docking tool? (I tried to use this and all it did was create a phantom ship core hanging in space that I could not select or access.)
    Create docking tool can be used on any rail block to spawn a core with a rail docker attached. It's a little tricky to get the hang of. Click create docking then look at a rail you want to spawn an entity on and click, this is where the docker will spawn. It will then give you a second outline box to place. This is where the core will be placed on the entity. You can move it around and place it in thin air or anywhere there is space. It's attached to your view point so it always places a few blocks in front of you.Click again and an arrow will appear. The arrow indicates the top forward face direction.. Click again, name it and voila, you have a docked entity...

What are the ODD buttons in the Symmetry Tool for?
    This button takes the build plane from the middle of the block and places it on the edge of the block. It's for building even sized objects. Easy to see, just place a plane on a block and then click the odd button.

Why are there no in-game tutorials for these tools? Are these tools new, so they haven't been fully fleshed-out just yet? Or are there an advanced set of tutorials that I haven't discovered?
    A lot of work was done on tools fairly recently. The game is under heavy development and tutorials are a 'finishing' touch that have not been created/fleshed out as of yet. There are plenty of people around here still willing to help out if you have questions. The build tools in StarMade are exceptional. Once you get fluent with them it makes certain other voxel building games look positively primitive... I literally can't play them anymore because they feel so clumsy, slow and amateurish in comparison.

Hope this helps a little.
    Good luck on your building. ;)

EDIT: clarity

Reactions: Tolnorus
    Reaction score
    So regarding selecting, I have played with it some more and thought I'd share my results.

With the selection pane open (not the brush pane), I click Copy Selection. The Copy Selection button changes to *CORNER1*, and a blue wireframe cube appears immediately before me. Also at this point, holding CTRL to halt my perspective movement and obtain a mouse-pointer-controlled yellow wireframe reticle is suspended. I must move my perspective so that the blue wireframe cube overlaps the block position for the first corner. When reaching that position, I click LMB and *CORNER1* changes to *CORNER2*. I repeat the process to choose the second corner. After I do this, I click Save. A dialog appears to name my template. Thereafter, the new item appears in the dropdown list box.

But your instructions led me to do the tinkering that led to this discovery, so thanks! =)

Reaction score
    What really confused me (and I still find strange and a bit annoying, though I am now aware of it at least) is that when either pasting a template or selecting an area, a left-click is required to select a block, but that action also executes a place-block command. The way around this is to have an empty slot on my hotbar selected. This prevents me from placing a block when all I want to do is select a position, but even then the editor gives me a warning message that I don't have anything selected so I cannot place a block! The existence of this warning message is what convinced me at an earlier stage of experimentation that I was doing something wrong and not successfully selecting. That message needs to be changed to be relevant to the selection action, and block placement should be suspended during selection. Do the developers read everything, or should I submit an official suggestion separate from this thread?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    I always use the copy brush option and not the copy selection option. I find it quicker and easier. Which ever way works for you.
    Left click does not place a block for me in either mode as long as the copy has not been executed so I'm curious about that. It's not expected behaviour afaik so either there's either a flaw in your method or you've a bug with your particular setup. Any chance a special mouse/software or macro might be doing double click or something like that?
    Devs certainly don't read everything here. I'd do some further experimentation before posting a bug though as I haven't heard this issue before and if it was a common one it'd undoubtedly have been raised all ready.