Bug About 40 minutes ago logins quit working correctly on my server

Reaction score
    I am running StarMade v0.1869 (20141220_094754) (latest dev build) on a dedicated server. We have USE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION and REQUIRE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION set to true.

About 40 minutes ago one of the players could no longer log in. He got 401 error on trying to log in (IOException Server returned HTTP response code 401 for URL https://registry.star-made.org/oauth/token). After several tries and finding a thread where someone was able to fix this by resetting their password, he reset his password and tried to log in. At this point another said that the authentication servers were updated recently.

I restarted the server (and checked for an update first). I also reset my password. Now both of us are getting authentication errors when trying to connect. "Server Reject: this login name is protected on this server! You either aren't logged in via uplink, or the protected name belongs to another user! Please use the "Uplink" menu to authenticate this name!"

We tried deleting the cred file from %appdata%/.StarMade as this was another suggested solution. No difference.

We also tried turning off require authentication (only to realize that the names used were already protected and thus, couldn't be logged into). (So after that we turned it back on.)

Now every time we try to connect with our pre-existing login names, we get the "Server Reject: this login name is protected on this server!" error. If we use a DIFFERENT login though, it works. Both require / use auth are set to true, but our previous names are inaccessible.

(Additionally, I find StarMade will no longer save my login between restarts.)

What do?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1419142587,1419141857][/DOUBLEPOST]Update:

Tried turning off authentication, logged in successfully. I hoped maybe that would reset the data or something, so I shut it down again and turned authentication back on.

When we tried to log in again, we all got the 401 IOException from before changing our passwords.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Happened to everyone. I think it is resolved now however.

Reaction score
    Been doing this to me since last night. First time playing also.

Everytime I logout I have to make a new character, or like it's doing to me now, will not connect to uplink no matter how many times I change my password. So I can't log into any server that needs uplink
    [DOUBLEPOST=1419184942,1419184856][/DOUBLEPOST]Cleared client cache on the loader and it works fine now.

Reaction score
    I've been having this problem since yesterday, reset password and was able to uplink but when i tried to connect to redshift i got the (Server Reject: this login name is protected on this server) deal, logged in with a new username and it worked. Now it's doing it again and this time i can't even use uplink (IOException Server returned HTTP response code 401 for URL https://registry.star-made.org/oauth/token) along with the server. Tried full repair, Cleared client Cache and reset password. I'm also using the Steam version. Could it be something to do with the Steam link feature?

Reaction score
    Clearing Client Cache from the Tools menu on Launcher has not worked for me, still receiving same 401 error trying to connect / uplink or connect to MP servers.

There's another thread over in Registry/Account Support forum full of players with same issue ...

Reaction score
    Yeap, the client cache as well as a complete fresh install did nothing. In the meantime my server is just running without auth.

Reaction score
    Check out this post from someone over in the other forum (Registry / Account Support):

http://starmadedock.net/threads/uplink-issues.4894/page-3

"Update. Figured out that it's not that the uplink is broken, it's that the user creds db has been striped of case. Example: I was "MikeOmni" now my profile lists as "mikeomni" - I can now uplink with the latter. Problem is now that the case of the user logs has changed, no multi server will recognize you now that your log is different than what it's always been before this started yesterday. I don't know if any admins have access to change profile names in the registry db, but it would be greatly appreciated if someone could help solve that.

I've also noticed that the forum still knows I'm MikeOmni with the case, but the registry does not. This may suggest that they are separate databases for the registry and the forum. Perhaps the registry can be repaired with the forums login database if there is no backup of the registry or it's that the db or backup thereof became corrupted? Just a thought and an observation."
    I just talked to someone in support via emails and suggested this same thing when he sent me my credentials in their database. My username was registered as "Envie" not "envie" and that may be why the servers are now rejecting the uplinked account credentials.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Reaction score
    I need mine changed up to: Hammaneggs
    Edit: I was the other player on Guard's server.

Last edited:

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Yes yes please! That's how it always should be haha.
    User guard13007 has been renamed to Guard13007! Please notify this user ASAP of this change.
    Fixed. =)

I need mine changed up to: Hammaneggs
    Edit: I was the other player on Guard's server.
    User hammaneggs has been renamed to Hammaneggs! Please notify this user ASAP of this change.
    Fixed. =)

You two should be able to play again.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Solution found - read:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/uplink-issues-oauth-token-401-since-20th-december.4911/

Offering direct name change without support ticket for you three right here =)

Guard13007
    Your registry name is in all lowercase - Need it changed to Guard13007?

baltex
    yours is saved all lowercase too, did you possibly use Baltex and need it changed to it?

Pseudo
    All lowercase, need it changed to Pseudo?

- Andy
    If your offer still stands, I would greatly appreciate the change to "Pseudo".
    Thank you!

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    If your offer still stands, I would greatly appreciate the change to "Pseudo".
    Thank you!
    User pseudo has been renamed to Pseudo! Please notify this user ASAP of this change.

Sure. =)

- Andy