A New "Wave" [Pirate Ship Community Contest]

Reaction score

Pirate Ship Community
    Contest

$100.00 Visa Gift Card Grand Prize!
    as well as rewards for places 2nd and 3rd!

Overview:
    • Create five ships that would consist the most ideal and powerful "Wave" of a Pirate response.
    • Diversify the systems of each ship as much as possible to create the greatest and most lethal ensemble.
    • Keep the Cosmetics in unity with each other to provide the obvious feel they are a fleet.
    • Make them mean. Both in looks and systems the goal is to create pirate replacements/additions for servers/players who are looking to really push and enhance the bar on difficulty and experience.
    • The winner of the contest will win at LEAST a $100.00 (USD) Visa Gift Card. Second and third place holders will also receive rewards ( yet to be determined)

Contest Rules and Regulations:
    • The finished submission for the contest must consist of five different ships as a "Wave" or "Squad"
    • The wave may only have Fighter class and Corvette class ships.
    • Fighters are defined as to be between 100-400 Mass. Corvettes between 401-1000 Mass.
    • Ships must be custom in design and made for this contest.
    • You may not have more than three Corvette Classed ships among the group.
    • Entries will be judged based upon Cosmetics, System and Ship Diversity, Overall difficulty the wave provides and that their is a sufficient amount of RP entailed for a pirate vessel.
    • Contestants will upload their designs to the community content area. Preferably all five designs in a single zip file to maintain their relationship and avoiding mix-and-match fleets. For extended information,You can create a thread in the Shipyards forum area and set up a link to it from the community content entry. There's options for pictures and descriptions in both places (CC and Shipyards threads). Then just post a link to the CC entry for all information on that fleet here on this thread!
    Other Details
    • The winners will be chosen on May 1st by the members of the Savage Horizons community, As well as two "Honorary Judges" whom will be respected and well known members of the Starmade community.
    • If you have any questions feel free to post them here! If you do not like, or agree with something above, please be courteous when posting about it here and do not cause drama. Any ideas that would help make this contest more ideal for the community or if anyone is interested in sponsoring the contest with us, Please don't be shy.
    • This Contest is being sponsored and was created by Savage Horizons (http://savage-horizons.enjin.com/)Hardcore RP Server with direct intentions to use the winners designs as our main Pirate ships on the Server, As well as provide the entire community, both Player and Servers alike the ability to enhance their Starmade experiences where pirates are concerned.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like making Carriers. Sadly the AI is dumb and cant send fighters out of them but they work good behind my keyboard.

Reactions: CyberTao
    Reaction score
    Anyone planning on taking place in this event, please feel free to post here, just so we can get the hype up and get the word out!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Looks like a fun contest. Where do we send the design files once we've created the five ships?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Really interesting contest. The mass restriction means that the ships can be made in a very reasonable amount of time, which is also very nice for people that already have too many projects under way (like me, lol).

And there's also moneys. A very big motivator xD

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    If I can come up with some designs I certainly will be participating!

Reaction score
    Looks like a fun contest. Where do we send the design files once we've created the five ships?

This is my first contest, so i am not sure how it is usually done. Would be awesome to see the pictures and stats or info posted here, and the files themselves sent to my email? or all of them sent and i can post peoples submissions? Not sure. Any advice into this area would be greatly appreciated!
    [DOUBLEPOST=1426452530,1426452464][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, the grand prize is going to be given to a site moderator who is Trusted to act as a middleman. I will post soon as this is done, just want people to know it's a legit contest! ( I had heard their have been problems relating to this type of thing in the past and want to avoid them)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Panpiper

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How the Station Contest was done well: I recommend having contestants and teams uploading to the community content area. Preferably all five designs in a single zip file to maintain their relationship and avoiding mix-and-match fleets. For extended information, they can create a thread in the Shipyards forum area and set up a link to it from the community content entry. There's options for pictures and descriptions in both places (CC and Shipyards threads). Then just post a link to the CC entry for all information on that fleet.

Don't worry about contestants copying designs. Even slight redesigns will be recognized and voted down.

Finally, I don't see any reason why a single contestant/team can't submit more than one fleet design. I say if they are feeling up to it, let them submit multiple fleets.

Reaction score
    How the Station Contest was done well: I recommend having contestants and teams uploading to the community content area. Preferably all five designs in a single zip file to maintain their relationship and avoiding mix-and-match fleets. For extended information, they can create a thread in the Shipyards forum area and set up a link to it from the community content entry. There's options for pictures and descriptions in both places (CC and Shipyards threads). Then just post a link to the CC entry for all information on that fleet.

Don't worry about contestants copying designs. Even slight redesigns will be recognized and voted down.

Finally, I don't see any reason why a single contestant/team can't submit more than one fleet design. I say if they are feeling up to it, let them submit multiple fleets.

I agree and love your ideas for submission. And that is exactly how we will do it! I hope you don't mind if i almost directly quote you in this process for the rules and regulations on uploading. Thank you for this very helpful information!

And i could possibly see more than one entry per team, but my fear is that we will only have a select few teams pumping out A LOT of designs, That and the fact i would also fear that there would be a decrease in the diversity of each wave the team was producing. At the same time, i see it as this: If you have more than one member of your team, then each member may submit a Wave Design on behalf of there team. Does that sound like an acceptable medium? ( I would also say that if any of the teams submissions look or feel the same as the previous or next submission on their behalf, it would be a large docking of points for diversity. Something to be aware of.)

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I agree and love your ideas for submission. And that is exactly how we will do it! I hope you don't mind if i almost directly quote you in this process for the rules and regulations on uploading. Thank you for this very helpful information!

And i could possibly see more than one entry per team, but my fear is that we will only have a select few teams pumping out A LOT of designs, That and the fact i would also fear that there would be a decrease in the diversity of each wave the team was producing. At the same time, i see it as this: If you have more than one member of your team, then each member may submit a Wave Design on behalf of there team. Does that sound like an acceptable medium? ( I would also say that if any of the teams submissions look or feel the same as the previous or next submission on their behalf, it would be a large docking of points for diversity. Something to be aware of.)
    That all sounds good to me.

I wouldn't worry too much about diversity and teams. The voters will see the similar designs and simply decide which one is best (and soundly berate any copycats). Plus, the best builders will be their own harshest critics and will force diversity on themselves.

Individual team members should be free to submit entries as individuals in addition to the content they submit with the team. (Example: I might submit a fleet as myself, and then another, hopefully wildly different fleet as a member of "Jayman's marauding engineers" where my minions may or may not have done most of the building work.) Based on what I saw with the station contest, team submissions are usually from a group of about 3 top builders, give or take a few, and the results are almost always spectacular and unique among the entries.

TL;DR: Don't worry about limiting the contest, other than what a fleet should consist. The cream of the crop will rise on their own merits.

Reactions: Menoetius
    Reaction score
    Hmm im not sure. I really feel if everyone is only given one chance, they come up with the best that they can do. And i think i like it that way. I am sorry but after giving it thought i just think it will work out better. As the grand prize is also substantial, i don't want one team flooding the contest. So i will state, only one Entry per person or team. I don't want "minions" doing the work and displaying their talent, and someone else reaping the rewards. Not that those dynamics within your team are any of my business. I guess i don't want to see the names of half a dozen people on 3 dozen entries. I am sorry for the change form my first comment on this choice! Since it is Savage that is hosting and judging this, this may just have to be an accepted difference with this contest from most, on this specific point.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jayman38

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Just to be sure, do you want the "scroungy held by space-tape" pirate type or the "well equipped mercenary" pirate type?

Reactions: Menoetius
    Reaction score
    Just to be sure, do you want the "scroungy held by space-tape" pirate type or the "well equipped mercenary" pirate type?
    As far as cosmetics, Either! As far as Systems, probably closer to the "Well equipped mercenary" Pirate as the goal is to make them as dangerous as possible! ( We will say these pirates had a lot more funding than normal :) )
    [DOUBLEPOST=1426524610,1426524492][/DOUBLEPOST]And I apologize for not having all of this clear and detailed prior to event launch! Thank you guys for working with me and helping out so much, we have a great community here!

Reactions: jayman38

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Well kepticks here so I guess that means I won't bother.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Nuuuu! I might not even participate (even though the chance of that happening is slim). And who knows? You might completely obliterate me at small ships :p.

I'm honestly not that great at small ships. The only ones I've ever made were all based on the same ball drone design.

Reaction score
    Nuuuu! I might not even participate (even though the chance of that happening is slim). And who knows? You might completely obliterate me at small ships :p.

I'm honestly not that great at small ships. The only ones I've ever made were all based on the same ball drone design.

NAO!! Balls are evil.lol
    [DOUBLEPOST=1426530909,1426530797][/DOUBLEPOST]
    "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    - Theodore Roosevelt
    "Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

And did I mention, There will be Second and Third place prizes as well!

Reactions: Keptick