A Manifesto on Fuel, Balancing, and Various Play Styles

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is not meant to be a suggestion thread, although I hope a variety of suggestions arise from it. If it is in the suggestion forum, it was moved there in error and should be returned to general discussion. I’m not suggesting anything new here - I’m elaborating on much-discussed issues as thoroughly as possible.

There have been a number of discussions about balancing large and small ships, balancing resource costs, generating strategic conflict between factions, and why we should (or equally adamantly why we should not) add fuel to Starmade. Here I will endeavor to bring these separate discussions together and elaborate on various possibilities.

The implementation of fuel in Starmade seems inevitable, but is a topic of hot debate and argument, and even flaming. Now why is this so controversial? It is clear that when fuel is added, it will be configurable so those who don’t like it won’t have to use it. Thus, these changes will not affect those who don’t like the idea of fuel. If you don’t like fuel, play on a server that has it turned off. There are those of us who want fuel, and for a number of good reasons.

Arguably the foremost is that players want a bit of a challenge, a certain struggle in life to spice things up and make gameplay interesting as they fight to survive in a harsh universe. What’s a story without a conflict to drive the plot? Tastes will vary greatly in this from a hardcore survival play style where just keeping the engines lit is a struggle, to a fairly easy play style where fuel is only remotely concerning unless you’re just plain lazy. Of course there is also the rather noisy and outspoken group of players who hate the idea that fuel might be even a slight problem. Such players will choose servers that have fuel disabled completely (unlimited fuel). To accommodate this range of play styles, I expect fuel burn, rarity of fuel sources, and whether such sources are exhaustible will be exposed in the configs.

Another reason players like fuel is the same reason many others hate it: micro-management. Some players find it fun to manage infrastructure, or even perform repetitive tasks. (If some people didn’t like some amount of repetition, RuneScape would have never gotten off the ground). I understand that most don’t, but the key is to strike as much of a balance as possible for the default configs, but at the same time leave enough options exposed in the server configs so that they can be customized for the player base of each server.

Thus far I’ve been stating the obvious. Here’s where things get interesting. Configured in different ways, fuel has the ability to influence average ship size, frequency of faction conflicts over resources, and the ratio of players to ships. How, you ask? Listen up now and critique my theory so it can be improved.

Fuel in most forms will influence the balance small versus large ships if it is in any degree of shortage. If fuel is used as a buff rather than a necessity, a smaller ship with fuel may match or defeat a larger ship without fuel (and a number of smaller ships are already known to have a tactical advantage over one larger ship that equals their combined mass). If fuel is a necessity to even operate a ship, concerns about running out will encourage players to use a ship just big enough to get the job done, reducing average ship size somewhat. In both cases, fuel can be made largely irrelevant in this respect if it is plentiful enough that everyone has far more than they need all the time. If you want balance to be the same as today or nearly the same, make fuel unlimited or practically so in your server configs. The reason for all of this is that when considering a larger ship, one must always ask if the benefits of the larger ship outweigh the cost in fuel to operate it. This is an extension of simple supply and demand economics.

If fuel is sufficiently bothersome and a ship of a desirable size becomes a nuisance to maintain alone, players will more frequently opt to reduce their workload by joining up with one or more other players to maintain a larger ship. Thus, fuel can influence the number of ships manned or maintained by multiple players as it affects how much player experience is improved by working together on one vessel. If this:

http://starmadedock.net/threads/save-player-relative-to-ship-upon-logout.1804/

ever becomes a reality, it will greatly augment this effect by making co-ownership of vessels more convenient. Currently, some servers impose artificial limits on the number of ships over a certain size a faction can field to prevent capital vessel spam. The same thing can be done economically with fuel, however. Capships obviously use a lot of fuel. To field one, a faction must take into account the cost in fuel and the potential to use this fuel for something else, like several battleships instead of a titan and a few frigates. This is more dynamic and interesting than an artificial limit on ships because a lot of things can affect fuel supply.

Of course, one thing that can affect your fuel supply is other factions attacking your fuel sources and taking them. Here’s another interesting factor: the nature of fuel sources. If a fuel source can run out, factions will move around a lot and probably spend more time looking farther than fighting over what’s nearby. For a faction to want to take over an exhaustible resource, the potential gains from that source must outweigh the cost of battle both in fuel and in ships. This is unlikely, not to mention exhaustible fuel sources would mean entire galaxies would eventually become bereft of fuel to burn. This option would only be good for people who like to explore and mine/gather/whatever constantly, with little more than a rare skirmish. I personally would find this boring.

Now what if there were an entirely unlimited fuel source? In that case, get one source and you have it all. All of your energy needs will be met by taking control of one source. Conflict will only arise if there are not enough fuel sources to go around and someone decides taking one over is easier than trading for fuel. In other words, conflict over fuel is still not likely unless someone is just being a control freak. Such an option could be ideal for moderate play styles where there is little micro-management (once you’ve got it made, you’ve got it made), some potential for conflict (people get suspicious or greedy and take more than they need), but in the absence of a big, scary, greedy empire, there’s little need to fight over fuel.

Next, think of a similar inexhaustible fuel source, but imagine that there is a limit to how much the source produces in a given amount of time. Factions will start out happy enough and will stay put, at least until they begin to outgrow their fuel sources. Then they will look to the stars for more. However, that “more” is more valuable than something that’s here today and gone tomorrow. Someone else probably wants it too. Conflict grows increasingly likely as factions grow in size. In the future on high-population servers, this may escalate to the point of driving factions away to other galaxies. Cool war zone, bro. This is my favorite option as it drives faction interaction and conflict harder than the others.

Before I close, here’s an angle that might not have been so obvious. A power source that is practical for a mobile, maneuvering ship might not be all that cost effective on a non-moving station or a planet. Purely as an example, let’s say ships run on antimatter. The stuff’s a bother to get as it has to be refined from, say a charged nebula that might have any of the fuel source properties I outlined above. Now let’s say I have a space station. Rather than use precious antimatter fuel, I elect to power my station with massive solar arrays that a ship can’t really carry as they are too heavy and bulky to be practical. This adds advantages to having a space station over a large ship other than being able to put your factories on it. How about a planet? Besides being pretty (unless you have your segments drawn set so high you get 5 fps near planets… silly people), starmade’s planets all seem to have molten cores. That means we can use geothermal power, which is cheaper than solar panels! Look at that: finite energy has the potential to solve one of the biggest problems with planets: their current lack of utilitarian usefulness. Add to this a feature like “deep core miners” from this thread:

http://starmadedock.net/threads/a-m...n-interactions-and-resource-acquisition.4613/

and planets will be popular for bases before you know it. Keep in mind of course that the power sources I outlined here are just examples. They could be entirely different, but this is something to consider when designing suggestions for fuel and such.

If you’re still reading by this point, thank you for hearing me out. If I’ve made any mistakes or left things out, please let me know. If you have ideas for particular fuel mechanics, feel free to link them below. One thing is for sure: the addition of an optional and highly configurable fuel mechanic is a positive thing for Starmade and its community.

Reaction score
    I don't play PVP much as I've just started and tend to lean more towards system work but I really like this. The idea of fuel bugs me but it would make putting together my Super Weapon Class Ships much harder. It would be fun if nothing else. You hit a lot of it spot on, asteroids, some anyway, if I'm correct are speculated to contain vast quantities of frozen usable fuel in the universe as well. I'd have to dig the article out again.

Reaction score
    What about solar power?

Imagine power capacitors as solar batteries, which load themselves when exposed to the radiance of a star. The closest they are from the star, the fastest they do. At least one block of a capacitors group must be exposed to fuel its hidden twins, but the more of them are exposed the fastest the process works.

By the way, different type of stars could provide different types of refueling.
    Eg : A red one is slower to fuel than a white one but the nerf of hidden blocks fuel speed is reduced, etc

Now let's say the power reactors would regain power (still automatically but) slower but, on the other hand, power capacitors provide a very interesting energy supply when fully loaded. Like, enough to reach the heart of the void before getting empty with a reasonable percentage of your total mass in capacitors.

Then, we could see : -Truly dedicated void-exploring/galaxy-jumping ships (wich can go to the deeper space but can't waste power with firing/salvaging/etc)

-the deadliest ships would have to stay close of star systems

-void stations would be a true challenge, with the need of energy convoys refueling them with power beams

-a new philosophy on designing power blocks groups

-a more immersive game (solar power is actually the most used ressource in human space exploration)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have never been a great supporter for the addition of fuel mechanics, but this manifesto has convinced me that fuel would be beneficial to the game, and particularly to player interaction of all kinds.

In addition to fuel requirements for sublight travel, as you have brought up, I think that fuel should also become a factor in FTL travel. I have observed a few community members state their fears about FTL causing a very sparsely populated universe, with players generally too far apart to benefit (or suffer. . .) from interaction with others. Fuel, I think, would be an ideal way to limit this 'over-spreading', and create a universe which is more densely populated towards its core.

How this FTL fuel might be implemented is not as important as the idea that it should be, but I do have a few thoughts nonetheless. Perhaps it would depend on different resources to what you suggest for use in sublight travel, or perhaps it would require products which had been refined more than usual, to represent its use in a more complex and specialized process. Fuel cost, I imagine, might depend on ship size, travel distance, method of travel, and efficiency of the drive in question (eg. the current jump drive's ship block count:jump drive block count ratio, and related 'sweet spot').

I think that fuel usage might make static installations such as gates rather interesting, especially those used by factions or with particularly high traffic. Players might band together to keep large public gates open. . .or steal from the fuel storage for their own gain. Set up planetary fuel mines to ensure a factions's travel network stays online. . .or interfere with such an operation to make their infrastructure come grinding to a halt.

Overall, I think that the ideas you present are positive. As you suggest, they ought to encourage player interaction, something which is of great importance in a sandbox game that seems to have a large emphasis on multiplayer.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    good job valiant, you have impressed me, I still think it would be cool to only have the blocks for batteries and have a multi-block generator, and set it up in a GUI which opens when you press on it, and the power output is directly respondent to the type of fuel/how much, better fuels are rarer and bigger ships needs more fuel and possibly more reactors, anyway, that is only my Idea XD, anyway, I have already had one of my ideas implemented, so I am happy XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Just imagine drones running only on batteries, returning to the mothership to recharge...
    God, that's awesome.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What about solar power?

Imagine power capacitors as solar batteries, which load themselves when exposed to the radiance of a star. The closest they are from the star, the fastest they do. At least one block of a capacitors group must be exposed to fuel its hidden twins, but the more of them are exposed the fastest the process works.

By the way, different type of stars could provide different types of refueling.
    Eg : A red one is slower to fuel than a white one but the nerf of hidden blocks fuel speed is reduced, etc

Now let's say the power reactors would regain power (still automatically but) slower but, on the other hand, power capacitors provide a very interesting energy supply when fully loaded. Like, enough to reach the heart of the void before getting empty with a reasonable percentage of your total mass in capacitors.

Then, we could see : -Truly dedicated void-exploring/galaxy-jumping ships (wich can go to the deeper space but can't waste power with firing/salvaging/etc)

-the deadliest ships would have to stay close of star systems

-void stations would be a true challenge, with the need of energy convoys refueling them with power beams

-a new philosophy on designing power blocks groups

-a more immersive game (solar power is actually the most used ressource in human space exploration)
    You know, you could throw this in the suggestion forum... Anyway, what you've described here is an unlimited, inexhaustible power source (starlight is infinite in the game). In other words, get one blue star and you have it all. That works to some extent, but it's not as flexible as stuff like nebulae that can either be exhaustible, inexhaustible, unlimited, or limited in how fast you can gather.

Let me clarify a little by what I mean when I say the rate you gather is limited or unlimited. With a star, as many ships as you want can sit and gather at their maximum efficiency. With a nebula for example (which might be emitted over time from a star) you can have a lot of ships sucking stuff up, but only until the nebula temporarily runs out of "stuff." Then you have to wait a bit for the star to cough up more nebula.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I have never been a great supporter for the addition of fuel mechanics, but this manifesto has convinced me that fuel would be beneficial to the game, and particularly to player interaction of all kinds.

In addition to fuel requirements for sublight travel, as you have brought up, I think that fuel should also become a factor in FTL travel. I have observed a few community members state their fears about FTL causing a very sparsely populated universe, with players generally too far apart to benefit (or suffer. . .) from interaction with others. Fuel, I think, would be an ideal way to limit this 'over-spreading', and create a universe which is more densely populated towards its core.

How this FTL fuel might be implemented is not as important as the idea that it should be, but I do have a few thoughts nonetheless. Perhaps it would depend on different resources to what you suggest for use in sublight travel, or perhaps it would require products which had been refined more than usual, to represent its use in a more complex and specialized process. Fuel cost, I imagine, might depend on ship size, travel distance, method of travel, and efficiency of the drive in question (eg. the current jump drive's ship block count:jump drive block count ratio, and related 'sweet spot').

I think that fuel usage might make static installations such as gates rather interesting, especially those used by factions or with particularly high traffic. Players might band together to keep large public gates open. . .or steal from the fuel storage for their own gain. Set up planetary fuel mines to ensure a factions's travel network stays online. . .or interfere with such an operation to make their infrastructure come grinding to a halt.

Overall, I think that the ideas you present are positive. As you suggest, they ought to encourage player interaction, something which is of great importance in a sandbox game that seems to have a large emphasis on multiplayer.

If planets produced energy that was usable by "geothermal generators," then a lot of gates would probably end up being built on orbital platforms over planets to ensure constant online status. Either that or they'd need massive solar panels to keep running.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If planets produced energy that was usable by "geothermal generators," then a lot of gates would probably end up being built on orbital platforms over planets to ensure constant online status. Either that or they'd need massive solar panels to keep running.
    I rather like that prospect.

Reaction score
    Just imagine drones running only on batteries, returning to the mothership to recharge...
    God, that's awesome.
    I second this. Honestly, if they add fuel, I think power capacitors should gain a huge buff. Instead of using a ton of power caps for a tiny bit of extra capacity, power caps with very large capacities could allow ships to charge up, fly around, shoot, and explore until power runs low, and then return to base.

This might help with limiting players from running in all directions, as it would require infrastructure to be built up before exploring further afield.

tStonger emphasis on power storage = better reason to add fuel sources/static power generators
    [DOUBLEPOST=1420244743,1420244600][/DOUBLEPOST]
    +1 This would further make planets strategic assets and points of conflict.

Reactions: kupu

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I second this. Honestly, if they add fuel, I think power capacitors should gain a huge buff. Instead of using a ton of power caps for a tiny bit of extra capacity, power caps with very large capacities could allow ships to charge up, fly around, shoot, and explore until power runs low, and then return to base.
    You still need a way to limit the power output of such craft, not just their capacity. Otherwise a ship could be a fuel hog bug have ungodly power output while its fuel lasted.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    hmm just thinking, capital ships might use some energy/gravity based form of "thrust" i mean a warp bubble is not thrust... whereas smaller ships most likely rely on chemical reactions / controlled explosions to create thrust if we could get both kinds of acceleration thrusters creating more thrust / mass than the gravity based system but would require fuel. i would be totally for it. Why? because i hate a game forcing me to cooperate with others. If i want to cooperate with others then because i like playing with them. So no i don't want to fight over ressources in an endless space environment. I love fighting in a game for the pure fun of it.
    I understand fuel would add something to MP but i am not certain this is really what we would wish for. There should be advantages to be gained by victory sure but it has been shown in the past that games offering very little and thus keeping the losses low perform better because the victorious still feels the adrenaline and cheers over an achieved goal, whereas for the looser the frustration should be kept low to motivate them to rebuild quickly without being crippled. So no fighting over fuel is not an option i would want to have in the game. Maybe add it so you can fuel fighters so they an use engines which really make them agile but when it docks it can just be transported at no cost when the ship it docked at runs on energy/gravity based mechanics.

Also this kind of fits more into my vision of a sci-fi space sim game.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    now I want fuel xD
    as long as it can be enabled/disabled in the options almost any idea is awesome
    I think unlike some options, this one really should be in the launcher options as its a major survival feature :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    hmm just thinking, capital ships might use some energy/gravity based form of "thrust" i mean a warp bubble is not thrust... whereas smaller ships most likely rely on chemical reactions / controlled explosions to create thrust if we could get both kinds of acceleration thrusters creating more thrust / mass than the gravity based system but would require fuel. i would be totally for it. Why? because i hate a game forcing me to cooperate with others. If i want to cooperate with others then because i like playing with them. So no i don't want to fight over ressources in an endless space environment. I love fighting in a game for the pure fun of it.
    I understand fuel would add something to MP but i am not certain this is really what we would wish for. There should be advantages to be gained by victory sure but it has been shown in the past that games offering very little and thus keeping the losses low perform better because the victorious still feels the adrenaline and cheers over an achieved goal, whereas for the looser the frustration should be kept low to motivate them to rebuild quickly without being crippled. So no fighting over fuel is not an option i would want to have in the game. Maybe add it so you can fuel fighters so they an use engines which really make them agile but when it docks it can just be transported at no cost when the ship it docked at runs on energy/gravity based mechanics.

You know, that would be no fun for everyone.
    As far as am concerned, factions would fight over BIGGEST fuel sources, while lone playes won't be bothered by gathering/mining/obtaining it (since they won't need as much).
    And, by biggest I mean enough for huge station/shipyard and some titans.
    (I assume that logical thing is that lone player technically won't be able to get titans and such.)

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

You've just re-explained the importance of good configurability. Starmade has a complex community encompassing a number of different play styles that sometimes work together and sometimes don't.

You know, that would be no fun for everyone.
    As far as am concerned, factions would fight over BIGGEST fuel sources, while lone playes won't be bothered by gathering/mining/obtaining it (since they won't need as much).
    And, by biggest I mean enough for huge station/shipyard and some titans.
    (I assume that logical thing is that lone player technically won't be able to get titans and such.)
    You're most probably correct. The only reason to kill off a weak faction on your border is if they are a potential threat. Even then it's arguably better to try to ally with them or assimilate them rather than building a vendetta.

Reaction score
    I love the idea of fuel, I think it would add a lot of depth to the game. The only concern I would have would be the sheer frustration someone would feel if they get stranded in the middle of nowhere with no gas. Perhaps add different levels of power reactors. the reactors that use fuel could be the highest power output. Solar could be a middle tier, and then the current unlimited reactors could have the lowest output. This way, fuel is still important, as higher tier reactors would still be desirable for combat ship, and the lower tiers would be useful as back-up reactors that would allow you to limp home if you run out of fuel.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I love the idea of fuel, I think it would add a lot of depth to the game. The only concern I would have would be the sheer frustration someone would feel if they get stranded in the middle of nowhere with no gas. Perhaps add different levels of power reactors. the reactors that use fuel could be the highest power output. Solar could be a middle tier, and then the current unlimited reactors could have the lowest output. This way, fuel is still important, as higher tier reactors would still be desirable for combat ship, and the lower tiers would be useful as back-up reactors that would allow you to limp home if you run out of fuel.
    Well... As for now, we have cores, right?
    They could make for emergency reactor. So, you plomp down core+1 thruster block, and you fly to the nearest fuel station. Or, if your ship is small enough, you cut power on everything besides thrusters.
    Or just introduce emergency reactors, that have limited usage (up to some % of ship mass) and have small energy output (but are ALWAYS online).

Reactions: Arkudo
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    You've just re-explained the importance of good configurability. Starmade has a complex community encompassing a number of different play styles that sometimes work together and sometimes don't.

You're most probably correct. The only reason to kill off a weak faction on your border is if they are a potential threat. Even then it's arguably better to try to ally with them or assimilate them rather than building a vendetta.
    If you ask me the entire crafting survival part of starmade will altogether still need a lot of work until it becomes real fun/thrill ... Yes maybe configurability but maybe a new concept in general. I just hope if fuel then be it easily obtainable anywhere.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If you ask me the entire crafting survival part of starmade will altogether still need a lot of work until it becomes real fun/thrill ... Yes maybe configurability but maybe a new concept in general. I just hope if fuel then be it easily obtainable anywhere.
    If it's easily obtainable everywhere, then there's no point. And when did anyone talk about crafting?

You are just that guy, aren't you.