Implemented Save player relative to ship upon logout

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    When a player logs out while in the gravity of or "aligned" to a ship, that player's position should be saved relative to that ship on logout. That way, a crew member can remain with the ship when not online.
    Don't want to get kidnapped? Fine, just leave the gravity of the ship before you log.

In other words, I'm on the U.S.S. Enterprise as the phaser room guy. I log out. Later the bridge crew gets on and flies away. When I log back in, I'm still in the phaser room, in the same position relative to the Enterprise. On the other hand, if I were outside of the Enterprise when the helmsman flew away, I'd still be spacewalking in that same position in the universe.

So what if the ship gets changed while I'm offline? Say the phaser room gets filled with shield blocks by some blundering junior engineer? Stuck-in-block protection. It's already in game. No sweat.

What if the ship is destroyed? Logically, I should spawn where the ship blew up. So when the ship explodes, it should just change my saved position to the universe-relative location where the ship went kablooey. Stuck in space? No worries. Everyone knows you should carry at least one core with you at all times.

EDIT: It's been brought up multiple times that this feature might be exploitable. As such, a player should ONLY save onboard a ship if the ship belongs to said player's faction, or to no faction at all. In order to allow guests to remain onboard, allowance could be made for players sitting on chairs linked to faction permission blocks, and this feature could be configurable either by factions or server admins.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    This is a splendid idea, hopefully it is indeed possible. From this I'd also like undeathinators to be able to be mounted on ships, but with some absurd power draw. This idea should be implemented though, to encourage crews and transport.

Reactions: SapioiT

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Good idea, Orphaniel. If the ship blew up, the spawn point could be reverted to the original world spawn point.

Reaction score
    This has been requested for so long, I always considered it a bug that the game didn't align. Devs take notice!

Reaction score
    the undeathinators and plex lifts dont work on ships because of spawning at high speeds, and vertical movement at high speeds

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    the undeathinators and plex lifts dont work on ships because of spawning at high speeds, and vertical movement at high speeds
    The game is not yet optimized to handle high speeds. It will be, surely. Adding ship-player position saves is a good idea, and can be implemented later on, when physics are more stable.

Reaction score
    I don't think the game engine could be able to do this. Perhaps a block you activate that spawns you to the nearest vertical 2x1 space and in the gravity of the ship.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I don't think the game engine could be able to do this. Perhaps a block you activate that spawns you to the nearest vertical 2x1 space and in the gravity of the ship.
    Why would the engine not be able to support this?

Reaction score
    Not that it wouldn't support it just that being inside a ship is exactly the same as being in space. The game can't tell whether you are inside a ship. So thats why I thought of a block to do that same job.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Not that it wouldn't support it just that being inside a ship is exactly the same as being in space. The game can't tell whether you are inside a ship. So thats why I thought of a block to do that same job.
    The ship also has coordinates for block placement. If a player is in gravity/grappled to a ship, the player's location in the ship coordinates are where they spawn on entering the game instead of their universal "space" coordinates.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Right, MYbattlecruiser; the whole idea stems around requiring the player to be in gravity or "aligned" (the weird thingy where you clip your boots to the ship with spacebar) in order to be saved onboard. As for undeathinators, a player would spawn either in the same gravity they were in when they used the undeathinator, or aligned to the ship if they were not in gravity.

Reactions: SapioiT

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I hereby declare this thread bumped! This is a change that should probably happen while the game is still in alpha, along with chairs and similar content. As a matter of fact, the two idea would compliment each other well if released simultaneously or in close succession.

Reaction score
    By the power of Mannimarco, King of Worms I hereby necro this thread with Valiant70. Purely because he mentioned chairs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Right now the game doesn't even spawn you in the same position you left. I often find myself outside a space station when I log back in (if I was in a space station), and I always find myself somewhere else. I also feel that if you log out while in a ship, you should be in the ship when you log back in.