16GB of ram and still cant run game!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hi forums,

I'm a returning user of 2 years and cant seem to get the game running without a "running low on memory" error every time i start a game. I have looked around the internets and cant seem to find anything that works for me. changing any setting to over 1g of memory will cause the game to not launch. eg. if everything has 512mb it will launch, however if everything is set to 1024mb it will not. (no error code, no crash, just wont launch.)
    If someone can understand what is happening from the provided information below and explain what i should do to fix the problem it would be amazing!

Here's the things i have tried already/you should know before posting a reply:

1. I have 16gb of ram to use, going into the launcher and changing it to half of that (8196mb) will not launch the game at all.

2. based on task manager 'java is only using about 800mb of memory while running the game despite the above change.

3. my java is 64bit (according to my programs and features list)

4. my OS (win10) is 64bit

5. i am running the game through steam.

Also, here is a screenshot of my pc passing all the diagnostic tests from DIAGNOSTIC TOOL -- Starmade System Checker

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Hi forums,

I'm a returning user of 2 years and cant seem to get the game running without a "running low on memory" error every time i start a game. I have looked around the internets and cant seem to find anything that works for me. changing any setting to over 1g of memory will cause the game to not launch. eg. if everything has 512mb it will launch, however if everything is set to 1024mb it will not. (no error code, no crash, just wont launch.)
    If someone can understand what is happening from the provided information below and explain what i should do to fix the problem it would be amazing!

Here's the things i have tried already/you should know before posting a reply:

1. I have 16gb of ram to use, going into the launcher and changing it to half of that (8196mb) will not launch the game at all.

2. based on task manager 'java is only using about 800mb of memory while running the game despite the above change.

3. my java is 64bit (according to my programs and features list)

4. my OS (win10) is 64bit

5. i am running the game through steam.

Also, here is a screenshot of my pc passing all the diagnostic tests from DIAGNOSTIC TOOL -- Starmade System Checker
    The game not being able to launch with more than 1024MB of max memory is a symptom only exhibited by 32bit java being used to run the game. Be aware that it is possible to have both 64 and 32bit java installed simultaniously, and if that is the case, only 32bit java will recieve updates[and as when running java programs the latest version is selected, the updated 32bit version will be used instead of the 64bit version].

I recommend reinstalling 64bit java.

Reactions: aka56
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    make sure there isnt any other version of Java installed on your system

the description you are giving sounds like the game starts with a 32 bit java regardless of the 64 bit installed JDK.

do not set all 3 values to the same size. i suggest 4096/1024/256.

Or try out the new launcher Launcher public beta!
    it uses its own bundled java and has a better memory management part

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can't see any problem from what you have there but then I'm not an expert either. A couple things I can think of.

You could try using the beta launcher. The beta launcher has an option to use a version of java that comes with starmade.

Also the latest version of java I think was 8 and update 101.

If I remember correctly a lot of people have had an issues with integrated graphics chips, which from your cpu I7-3770k does have one.

Hope this helps.
    [doublepost=1469865952,1469865780][/doublepost]The link below shows another thread about a different issue. But down in the post someone describes how to get hold of some of the log files that might be useful.

It says I need to update my intel graphics card to play, but I don't have one.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    make sure there isnt any other version of Java installed on your system

the description you are giving sounds like the game starts with a 32 bit java regardless of the 64 bit installed JDK.

do not set all 3 values to the same size. i suggest 4096/1024/256.

Or try out the new launcher Launcher public beta!
    it uses its own bundled java and has a better memory management part
    OK.

I have uninstalled all java versions on my computer. Removed every file and folder that contained the word 'java.' Uninstalled all versions and backups of StarMade as well as removed all files containing the word 'Starmade' from my computer.

After the great cleanse i reinstalled StarMade by going to StarMade and downloading the Beta Launcher. Installing fresh (release build) and using the built in java that came with the launcher.

...nothing
    no crash, no error log, no sign that it failed. it just did.

Should i consider re-installing my win10 or is that excessive at this point?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was reading up on another forum and windows 10 wasn't causing a problems for most people..

From the link I posted.

Please search in the install folder of starmade for the folder Logs.
    In there should be a file named graphcisinfo.txt and Log.txt.0 (remove the .0 part from this) drag and drop both of them into an answer here?

Just need to check if your starmade is trying to use the integrated graphics on your cpu rather than your video card.

We probably need to get hold of these logs or hope that something pops up on the event viewer or the equivalent for windows 10.

Also is it dying before the game menu or when you load a world in and have you been trying the same world each time?

Last edited:

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    Since you've uninstalled all java versions, you can try reinstalling only the 64bits one now. Hopefully it'll launch again, and if it launches, you'll be sure it doesn't use java 32bits at least :p ( Java SE Runtime Environment 8 - Downloads jre-8u101-windows-x64.exe or jre-8u102-windows-x64.exe )

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was reading up on another forum and windows 10 wasn't causing a problems for most people..

From the link I posted.

Please search in the install folder of starmade for the folder Logs.
    In there should be a file named graphcisinfo.txt and Log.txt.0 (remove the .0 part from this) drag and drop both of them into an answer here?

Just need to check if your starmade is trying to use the integrated graphics on your cpu rather than your video card.

We probably need to get hold of these logs or hope that something pops up on the event viewer or the equivalent for windows 10.

Also is it dying before the game menu or when you load a world in and have you been trying the same world each time?

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Tester
    the log file suggests you are running on Win 8.1 64 bit (sure this is from a win 10 PC ?)
    and it starts indeed with the 64 bit java version of the betalauncher
    your entire logfile looks a bit irregular with video playing messages mixed into the normal startup where they do not belong ??

please change the install path in the new lauchner to c:\starmade
    and let it make an new install there. Maybe this is a permission problem in the user desktop path.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What SmilingDemon said should fix the issues where its trying and failing to find configuration files.

[2016-07-30 22:45:45] [GUI] NO STARMADE-WINDOW CONFIG FOUND. Using defaults

[2016-07-30 22:45:45] Could not read settings file: using defaults (.\keyboard.cfg (The system cannot find the file specified))

Also there is like 44 asteroids in your 2,2,2 spawn sector. And it looked like it was having issues with some of them as its trying to revalidate some of them. Not exactly sure what that means. You might want to start a new world.

[2016-07-30 22:47:16] 43# OBJECT: {RigBExvirtC(2, 2, 2){orig(329.0, 336.0, -69.0)}@1644322565([CCS|CLI Asteroid(53)sec[51]])}

[2016-07-30 22:47:27] [CLIENT] Asteroid(65)sec[63]((-16, 0, -48))[s4096; Hash-14807649; id 49800] WARNING: Revalidating took 572ms (without locks)

Its using your graphics card and not the integrated chip so that's good.

Renderer: GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Here is another update on what i know.

I reinstalled StarMade into C:/Starmade as you can see in the video.

While using the beta launchers inbuilt java:
    Changing the Maximum Memory wont cause the game to crash, however the initial and early gen memory when changed to 1024mb (512 seems to be the max) and 512 (256 seems to be the max) respectively will cause the game to not launch (therefore not creating a log file that i can show.)

An observation i made from the log file while booting in the ram settings that the game accepts (i barely understand the log as i have never been able to play the game):
    Code:
    [2016-07-31 01:28:49] WARNING: Found unknown Windows version: Windows 10

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Tester
    OK This Log at least looks more or less normal and indentifies your OS correctly

[2016-07-31 01:28:32] [LIBLOADER] OS Windows 10 - 10.0
    [2016-07-31 01:28:32] [LIBLOADER] JAVA Oracle Corporation - 1.8.0_101 - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_101
    [2016-07-31 01:28:32] [LIBLOADER] ARCHITECTURE amd64
    [2016-07-31 01:28:32] [LIBLOADER] LOADED WINDOWS 64bit NATIVE LIBRARIES

its very weird that the 1024 is preventing the game from running at all. havnt seen that before vor initial
    (early to high or all of them too high yes thats a problem)

please try to connect to the test server Screenshot_3.jpg
    make sure its that one ... they are named all similar.
    to make sure its not a local problem with running a server and client at the same time .

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Awesome...... The when memory settings are to low you get a:

[2016-07-31 01:29:17] [CLIENT][POPUP] ERROR: WARNING!
    You are running low on memory!
    Please increase the max AND min value
    in the StarMade-Launcher.

But the game won't launch when larger amounts of memory is set.

Only two things I can think of left.
    When logged into windows is this user account an admin account?
    If not try running the starmade launcher as admin.

Reading through some steam tickets and it mentioned that laptops should have the JDK installed not just the JRE of java.
    Other than that I'm out of ideas.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    got an idea.

Open a console (CMD) and type the following commands:

java -d32 -version
    java -d64 -version

and screenshot/copy the result here.
    I bet it contains some line like: "picked up options -xmx512M" or so, which overides the java settings.

In case you find something like this, check your system environment variables for a variable called:
    JAVA_OPTIONS or sometimes
    _JAVA_OPTIONS
    and remove it.
    There is never a good reason to enforce system wide java parameters unless running on a special computer type or high security/available system.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    OK This Log at least looks more or less normal and indentifies your OS correctly

[2016-07-31 01:28:32] [LIBLOADER] OS Windows 10 - 10.0
    [2016-07-31 01:28:32] [LIBLOADER] JAVA Oracle Corporation - 1.8.0_101 - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_101
    [2016-07-31 01:28:32] [LIBLOADER] ARCHITECTURE amd64
    [2016-07-31 01:28:32] [LIBLOADER] LOADED WINDOWS 64bit NATIVE LIBRARIES

its very weird that the 1024 is preventing the game from running at all. havnt seen that before vor initial
    (early to high or all of them too high yes thats a problem)

please try to connect to the test server View attachment 29927
    make sure its that one ... they are named all similar.
    to make sure its not a local problem with running a server and client at the same time .
    Connecting with the following settings.
    Maximum Memory (MB): 2048mb
    Initial Memory (MB): 512mb (changing to 1024 wont launch)
    Early Gen Memory: 256mb
    (attached the log below)

[doublepost=1469952400,1469951841][/doublepost]
    got an idea.

Open a console (CMD) and type the following commands:

java -d32 -version
    java -d64 -version

and screenshot/copy the result here.
    I bet it contains some line like: "picked up options -xmx512M" or so, which overides the java settings.

In case you find something like this, check your system environment variables for a variable called:
    JAVA_OPTIONS or sometimes
    _JAVA_OPTIONS
    and remove it.
    There is never a good reason to enforce system wide java parameters unless running on a special computer type or high security/available system.

- Andy
    here is the screenshot of both commands back to back (running cmd as admin)

Also if you were curious, here is a screenshot of my java settings (pretty default i think)

[doublepost=1469952879][/doublepost]
    Awesome...... The when memory settings are to low you get a:

[2016-07-31 01:29:17] [CLIENT][POPUP] ERROR: WARNING!
    You are running low on memory!
    Please increase the max AND min value
    in the StarMade-Launcher.

But the game won't launch when larger amounts of memory is set.

Only two things I can think of left.
    When logged into windows is this user account an admin account?
    If not try running the starmade launcher as admin.

Reading through some steam tickets and it mentioned that laptops should have the JDK installed not just the JRE of java.
    Other than that I'm out of ideas.
    Yup i can see what you mean...

Firstly is admin: i believe that my account is an admin account as per this screenshot saying so. i am also able to right click and run StarMade as admin (which i have already tried)

secondly i have installed the latest version of Java and JDK (after purging all previous javas from my computer.) testing with this change still makes no difference!

Attachments

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Exactly as I assumed:
    upload_2016-7-31_10-11-4.png

Hit start and type "environment" in the application searcher.
    It should offer two options named like:
    "Change system environment variables"
    "Change environment variables for current user"

Please open both options and search for a variable:
    _JAVA_OPTIONS
    in one of the menus, and remove it.

Make sure you don't have this "Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx512M" when you type the
    java -d64 -version
    All should be fine, once you get rid of that variable.

The Java-Control-Panel you took a screen from is sometimes able to set this variable too,
    so there may be an option in there doing that, but its most likely an ancient leftover from some minecraft memory settings guide.. ^^°

And those guides enforced the memory system-wide instead of application specific,
    we sadly have quite a few of those cases in support,
    where this unthoughtful guide renders our players with very bad performance for no real reason.
    And its hard (to impossible) to identify this situation if its not set to a really low value like 512M.

- Andy

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Exactly as I assumed:
    View attachment 30005

Hit start and type "environment" in the application searcher.
    It should offer two options named like:
    "Change system environment variables"
    "Change environment variables for current user"

Please open both options and search for a variable:
    _JAVA_OPTIONS
    in one of the menus, and remove it.

Make sure you don't have this "Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx512M" when you type the
    java -d64 -version
    All should be fine, once you get rid of that variable.

The Java-Control-Panel you took a screen from is sometimes able to set this variable too,
    so there may be an option in there doing that, but its most likely an ancient leftover from some minecraft memory settings guide.. ^^°

And those guides enforced the memory system-wide instead of application specific,
    we sadly have quite a few of those cases in support,
    where this unthoughtful guide renders our players with very bad performance for no real reason.
    And its hard (to impossible) to identify this situation if its not set to a really low value like 512M.

- Andy
    HURRAH!!!

Problem solved, thanks for the excellent support with this issue!