ZimmTech: Pirate Fleet Competition [Awards Announced]

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Finally got around to actually building my fleet, built my fighter today. I'm basing my fleet around the lore which I'll soon be releasing for my faction. Here is the page if you're interested for when I release the lore: Star Corp.

Here are some photos of the fighter.

It looks quite nice, considering I'm awful at small ships. It's effectiveness, is, subjective I guess. It's meant to rely on a carrier and be a part of a swarm, so it's not very strong individually, I'm also incapable of doing an interior (and systems) in such a tiny space, so that's what has cost it's effectiveness so much.

Despite the fact that it's not too good in stats, I'm quite happy with how it turned out. As long as it looks good, I'm happy. :P

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    lol if it makes you fee any better I opted for doing a sort of external room and hallway setup since making an internal one would balloon the Loot Pinatas to insane sizes.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Hey would you all prefer if I released videos as submissions are sent in or once the competition closes and during the judging? I feel at the end would be best but I'd like to know what you all want.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hey would you all prefer if I released videos as submissions are sent in or once the competition closes and during the judging? I feel at the end would be best but I'd like to know what you all want.
    From what I could gather, are you asking if you can create video previews of the entries? If so, then I say yest to that.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Were you planning to do a shoot off between the various submissions, to judge their relative combat effectiveness? If so, you'd likely be well advised to wait till the end. If it is just a question of looks, then there would be no harm in doing videos as submissions come in, as it might help others to know how the judging criteria might affect their own work.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I would like to suggest a slight modification to the rules. Instead of five different ships, none above 1000 mass and only three above 500 mass, how about a stipulation that there be five ships and that their 'total' mass may not exceed a certain limit, like 3500 mass or something? This way if someone has a ship they are very fond of that they feel fits their lineup, but that would otherwise exceed the 1000 limit, they could include one anyway?

I've finished another one, Bandit:

Reactions: Lone_Puppy
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Were you planning to do a shoot off between the various submissions, to judge their relative combat effectiveness? If so, you'd likely be well advised to wait till the end. If it is just a question of looks, then there would be no harm in doing videos as submissions come in, as it might help others to know how the judging criteria might affect their own work.
    I was planning on looking at both aspects, looks and effectivness.

I would like to suggest a slight modification to the rules. Instead of five different ships, none above 1000 mass and only three above 500 mass, how about a stipulation that there be five ships and that their 'total' mass may not exceed a certain limit, like 3500 mass or something? This way if someone has a ship they are very fond of that they feel fits their lineup, but that would otherwise exceed the 1000 limit, they could include one anyway?

I've finished another one, Bandit:
    The problem I see with that is there wont be a balance of harder and easier ships. For example if a player submits two heavier more powerful ships then the other three with be small drones that wont do anything besides be annoying even for beginners.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I'm about half-way done with my entry. I think it would be good to release the competition video after the entry date is past. That way, people who entered early can tweak their entries up to the close date, if need be, and later entrants don't have an advantage over early entrants by seeing how you judge before submitting their entry.

It might be nice to have a standard "starter ship" and "intermediate ship" you pilot when evaluating combat effectiveness. That way, you could get a sense for the challenge they would present to both a newbie and light ship from a more-established player. It also gives you a similar benchmark between pirate groups.

I would love to see a pirate vs. pirate AI fight between the some top contenders, though :D

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Um... yea... I'm afraid if a starter ship means day 1 or day 3 build, then it only stands a chance against my Shrikes, because the Myrmidon absolutely wrecks everything in its weight class and a little above XD

Reactions: Lone_Puppy
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I'm about half-way done with my entry. I think it would be good to release the competition video after the entry date is past. That way, people who entered early can tweak their entries up to the close date, if need be, and later entrants don't have an advantage over early entrants by seeing how you judge before submitting their entry.

It might be nice to have a standard "starter ship" and "intermediate ship" you pilot when evaluating combat effectiveness. That way, you could get a sense for the challenge they would present to both a newbie and light ship from a more-established player. It also gives you a similar benchmark between pirate groups.

I would love to see a pirate vs. pirate AI fight between the some top contenders, though :D
    I mostly plan on comparing the entries against each other and seeing how those stats compare to an isanth being a bench mark but standard starter ships is a great idea but what does that look like and how would that be standardized?

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    From what I could gather, are you asking if you can create video previews of the entries? If so, then I say yest to that.
    I agree, videos show more than snaps. So, that's a yest from me to. ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I would recommend having the fleets controlled by the AI fight it out between them. That might be a bit of work to set up, but if you are zipping about in god mode recording video (in a neutral faction so you don't distract their fire), you could get quite an interesting competition and video suite.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Starter ships are rarely armed. One of the examples of a nice starter ship is the Eclipse you spawn with on Shattered Skies. Some shields, a salvager, some storage, and a single anti-missile turret. No offensive weaponry whatsoever.

A starter ship would be something no larger than 500 mass, that much you can craft yourself in 1 day. Probably not many weapons and certainly no effects as those take a lot of resources to craft (and pretty rare ones at that, like hylat) and little shielding (unless player got very lucky and ran into some blue asteroids, which only spawn in certain star systems, or found a planet plate with rammet and sertise) I estimate 10K shields with 500 regen at most on a day 1 build. Probably a permajammer tho, since power costs very little to make, and a very good thrust/mass ratio (thrusters are also cheap)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Um... yea... I'm afraid if a starter ship means day 1 or day 3 build, then it only stands a chance against my Shrikes, because the Myrmidon absolutely wrecks everything in its weight class and a little above XD
    To my mind, 'at least' half the point of a 'competition' such as this is to create ships that will give players more of a challenge. Of course it is up to the players themselves (for SP games) or the server admins (whom players voluntarily join) just which ships and how much challenge they wish in their universe. Having ships that can give a fight to their weight class is a very good thing. Having ships that can give a fight to ships significantly heavier than them is even better.

I've had reports from the multiplayer server where I play of players running from fights versus my Corsair with ships ten times bigger. (I've built the pirates for that server.) Fortunately for this competition, my Corsair is too heavy.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Alright so I definetly plan on doing a sort of show case video of each entry and then videoing fights between them or at least between the top contestants. Sound good?