ZimmTech: Pirate Fleet Competition [Awards Announced]

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well, I had a go at setting up a battle with PanPiper's fleet. The battle only lasted 5mins, but I spent a little time mucking around setting up and having a look at the debris. Was fun to watch and interesting to see how my computer performed running the server, 3 clients and my capture software.

I also found a stray Isanth in the battle area. Not sure where this came from. Oh and I think the client with my Pirate user did something strange to make PanPiper's Buccaneer head out into deep space.

If you guys have any advice on setting up a battle, I could revisit this, but I think the end result will be the same.

Here's the video I made.
    https://youtu.be/SflWVQCCdbM

Reactions: Panpiper
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    The only advise I would give for a replay would be to start them at a decent range difference from one another (each fleet), like 3-4 K range.

Give yourself a cloak ship to watch with, pre-positioned where you spawn the trade guild ships. but put yourself in the pirate faction.

Also, you might want to increase the number of missile entities (I don't remember precisely what it is called in the config) that are displayed at once (assuming your system can handle it). I noticed that much of the weapon fire was not being rendered, likely because there were more than the default of something like 120 on the map at any given moment.

Last edited:

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I assigned my fleet to TG and yours to Pirate factions. I had a player in each faction as well as myself not affiliated to any faction. Myself and the TG player had a cloaked ship. I did not end up using my own player at all, but will organise things a bit better for next time.

I would like to have the ability to position fleets with the AI turned off, then turn on the AI of every ship all at once. Also, to disable the core overheating so I can survey the wreckage and debris.

Sadly, in the video you will see when I docked my TG player to the pod and exited the core to enter, I lost my assigned structure. The Erox, pod and my cloaked ship flew off without me. Interestingly, the cloak ship was never attacked. So the cloak must have remained active the whole time.

As for my Pirate player, he was sitting on top of your Buccaneer and I think something strange happened with the client causing the Buccaneer to behave strangely. It kept flying backwards sig sagging here and there until it went out of view. I must track it down and fly it back to his buddies to survey for damage, before I delete all the mobs.

If I have time tonight, I'm going to mess around with setting up battles to see how best to video everything.
    I did think of making a player or group of players Allies with 2 factions that are enemies. In theory, they should not be harmed if they do not interact. Then I can use different computers with the capture software to record every angle. Now to find said different computers. :)

Reactions: Panpiper
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    As for my Pirate player, he was sitting on top of your Buccaneer and I think something strange happened with the client causing the Buccaneer to behave strangely. It kept flying backwards sig sagging here and there until it went out of view. I must track it down and fly it back to his buddies to survey for damage, before I delete all the mobs.
    If it was within it's weapon range of an enemy but not at it's maximum range, it would fly backwards to keep it's weapons bearing on the enemy while it retreated to it's maximum range. It would fly in a zig zag (if the AI was being 'smart) so as to be evasive against possible enemy fire. You should have seen it fire a missile barrage every 45 seconds though.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Didn't see any missiles. It sort of slinked it's way out of sight. :)

Well, I found an interesting Battle Mode config option in the server config file. So, I might try this out. It allows for setting up Team A & B factions and spectators. Operates in sector 0 0 0 by default, but looks like it's all configurable.

BATTLE_MODE = false //turn on battlemode (warning, don't use unless you know what you're doing)
    BATTLE_MODE_CONFIG = battleSector=0,0,0,Physics.smsec;battleSector=15,15,15,Physics.smsec;countdownRound=300;countdownStart=30;maxMass=-1;maxDim=300;maxMassPerFaction=-1; //General config for battlemode
    BATTLE_MODE_FACTIONS = [TeamA, fighters, 500,500,500, 0.5,0.1,0.9];[TeamB, fighters, -500,-500,-500, 0.5,0.9,0.2];[TeamFFA,ffa, 0,0,-500, 0.2,0.9,0.9];[Spectators,spectators, 0,500,0,0.8,0.4,0.8] //Faction config for battlemode

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    _______Pirate Fleet Competition_________

Sponsored by ZimmTech
    _____Awards_____

• Grand Prize: Parameter
    • Cosmetic: SirRadAlotMore
    • System: Panpiper
    • Creativity: StormWing0

_______Pirate Fleet Competition_________

Sponsored by ZimmTech
    _____Awards_____

• Grand Prize: Parameter
    • Cosmetic: SirRadAlotMore
    • System: Panpiper
    • Creativity: StormWing0

Hey Congratulations Parameter!

Same to you too SirRadAlotMore, Panpiper and StormWing0.

Sorry, for not recognising this earlier. I guess I'm a little self absorbed lately.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm I wonder maybe we should have a default ship(s) competition. Something like the Isanths where they could be used by players, pirates, trading guild, etc. Basically these could be used by anyone and have no particular faction they are bound to. :)