You Have Failed Us

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Sadly this thread is like this old one from April 2016.
    Do not make this game die
    If you can be arsed to read it them you will see that the game has not progressed as a playable game since then.
    I quote DukeofRealms post and Ithirahads reply, progress has actively regressed.

Do not make this game die

These forums are more entertaining than the actual game is, my StarMade community are asking the same question “ how has the game become so worse and unplayable, evolution means getting better doesn’t it?”
    It’s time this was not available on steam to purchase, as like others I did until being told here the demo was the same thing as the retail.
    Is that not reasonable?

Edit: I and we don’t want the game to fail but my god it seems hell bent on losing any advantage it may have had and it’s future. Really so sad.

Reactions: FlyingDebris

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'd love to do a SRS (Simple random sample) to figure out the proportion of the playerbase that approves of the Power 2.0 update, however I would need a comprehensive list of all members of the "active" or "formerly active" community, then I could give a relatively solid statistic. The problem is that getting that list would be very difficult, if not impossible, without some degree of inaccuracy. Perhaps a signup that would be distributed via link? Other polls in the past have not been able to provide sufficient evidence.

Maramonster

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I feel like the new integrity is just punishing everything that isn't a borg cube. Especially for those who want to have any sort of interior.

I understand the changes to power, and I understand the power streams to prevent islands. I just don't see the benefit of integrity, given it's heavy calculation cost.

Reaction score
    The new power system is working just fine for me. I hope they update the weapons modules so that they don't depend on the reactors so much, and instead allow us to use ammunition, for instance. Cannons would only need a minimum amount of power from the reactors (railguns still need a metallic object to be propelled towards its target) so instead of using 100% energy usage these would require 50% and ammunition. This would also allow different types of ammo made from different types of capsules. Cannons can also be combined with Damage Beams to create energy based weapons like plasma cannons (which could deal more damage to armor and have more penetration than kinetic weapons) that would require double the amount of power from the reactor than kinetic cannons. There can also be energy capacitor modules that can be linked to all energy damage weapons so they can fire longer before having to pull energy from the reactor itself. This could free the reactor a bit and allow the making of smaller ships like light fighters that won't require an insane amount of weapon modules to influence damage which makes no sense. Instead the size of the weapon module can influence the type of ammo that will be used (in this case kinetic cannons), and all ammo will be pulled from the cargo module that the cannon computer will make use of by being linked. On the other hand, energy beams would require a minimum amount of modules, but a larger amount of capacitors to influence damage and no need for a cargo module linked to it to be able to fire. As for missiles, the missile tubes module will have to be large enough to fire the ordnance designated, also the modules would have to be build in a straight line pattern, and the longer the launch tube is the bigger the ordenance it would be able to fire, and the amount of energy this weapon system would require can be a bare minimum, because it makes no sense that you need so much energy to launch missiles since the energy is stored in the ornance itself which is self propelled ^_^ (perhaps for plasma missiles and torpedoes you may need 100% energy dependence). I also think that for a lock-on missiles it would be good to have that option available in the scanner tech tree. That is what I think could make the current system even better.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I feel like the new integrity is just punishing everything that isn't a borg cube. Especially for those who want to have any sort of interior.

I understand the changes to power, and I understand the power streams to prevent islands. I just don't see the benefit of integrity, given it's heavy calculation cost.
    They said it's something they want to change. They are trying to come up with a way to fix it/replace it.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    They said it's something they want to change. They are trying to come up with a way to fix it/replace it.
    Maybe don't let a crappy power system get past the whiteboard after blatant logical errors are revealed? Then you don't have to find ways to overhaul half the system you just published.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1

Islands are still more or less a thing for those determined enough, just wrap em up in a cheap pole of hull or motherboard, look a 3x3 stick at 2k+ away strafing at 100-200 or more m/s is not easy to hit even for AI is all, and the AI aim for other systems (when they even aim in the right direction) anyway.

the stream & integrity really seem like a poorly thought out bandaid on a problem they just cannot contain on their own (and are already quite a headache as just the two extra sizing/shaping mechanics to juggle during any shipbuilding), still stuck in the mindset of 'beam me up doctor the mandalorians are infiltrating the SGC again', real life in starmade is wierder than fiction in starmade sorta thing, yaknowwamean?

otherwise not counting that the game is unplayably bugged right now besides sit at base playing lego with a chatroom, but im warming to the rest to be honest, not for the same reasons i enjoyed the old game and i will be sad to see it go.

Personally I'm having fun playing with the config on the old gamestate, experimentation with the config on a major overhaul scale isn't something I've considered so far due to the games agile developement process, always another update around the corner ready to break your lovely .xmls. That's not true anymore, and quite a lot can still be done with the .199.653a gamestate to make it more generally enjoyable/competetive/immersive. A good example would be old LCB Hardcore server with its station only shields, elwynn infinity & the like giving us reverse FP systems is another looser example, these are mostly minor modifications though (not that i know the full extent of those servers changes just for the sake of example), and aren't an overhaul on their own. Spoilers!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    When the update first hit I was very sceptical and I even voiced that I felt cheated. I had been unable to play the game for about six months due to a fried laptop so I guess it would have been pretty easy to simply walk away. Over the last couple of weeks though I have been learning the new system and getting to grips with it.

No, I admit, I don't build big combat ships but the ships I have made are pretty special to me, even when I have taken an old design and refitted it (like my small collection of Isanth Type VIs).

The update has allowed me to revisit some of these ships and refit them (mostly not for the first time) again. Ships that 6-12 months ago I was happy with I am now finding fresh ideas and ultimately better ships.

One small defence drone that has been refitted twice before has better shields, manoeuvrability and weaponry. A mining drone that was on its third update has a better salvage array with a mining bonus chamber, more cargo space and even some flashing lights (wow!). I have just finished updating the Isanth Type VI System Shuttle and this is faster, obviously has a jump drive (that it didn't have before at all) which auto-charges and has the maximum jump distance.

I still don't like the stupid power turd but I have seen some very creative ways of concealing it already and so this will just have to be like the logic lines that nobody seems to mind now anyway.

I am not 100% delighted with the update, nor the prospect of having to do this again for weapons or any number of further updates but hey, as someone suggested before, you can always go play with Space Engineers which personally I found to be a polished turd of a game that didn't allow me to express my creativity.

I'll stick with StarMade. It might be bugged, flawed and not to everyones taste but I can still spend hours immersed in the game.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    When the update first hit I was very sceptical and I even voiced that I felt cheated. I had been unable to play the game for about six months due to a fried laptop so I guess it would have been pretty easy to simply walk away. Over the last couple of weeks though I have been learning the new system and getting to grips with it.

No, I admit, I don't build big combat ships but the ships I have made are pretty special to me, even when I have taken an old design and refitted it (like my small collection of Isanth Type VIs).

The update has allowed me to revisit some of these ships and refit them (mostly not for the first time) again. Ships that 6-12 months ago I was happy with I am now finding fresh ideas and ultimately better ships.

One small defence drone that has been refitted twice before has better shields, manoeuvrability and weaponry. A mining drone that was on its third update has a better salvage array with a mining bonus chamber, more cargo space and even some flashing lights (wow!). I have just finished updating the Isanth Type VI System Shuttle and this is faster, obviously has a jump drive (that it didn't have before at all) which auto-charges and has the maximum jump distance.

I still don't like the stupid power turd but I have seen some very creative ways of concealing it already and so this will just have to be like the logic lines that nobody seems to mind now anyway.

I am not 100% delighted with the update, nor the prospect of having to do this again for weapons or any number of further updates but hey, as someone suggested before, you can always go play with Space Engineers which personally I found to be a polished turd of a game that didn't allow me to express my creativity.

I'll stick with StarMade. It might be bugged, flawed and not to everyones taste but I can still spend hours immersed in the game.
    Congrats.

Maramonster

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    See, therein lies the problem. Did they not test this outside of "Yep, no crashes"? Between this and the hasty fix to Power 2.0, I just get the feeling they're not playing their own game as much as they should be.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    See, therein lies the problem. Did they not test this outside of "Yep, no crashes"? Between this and the hasty fix to Power 2.0, I just get the feeling they're not playing their own game as much as they should be.
    Schema doesn't play for fun enough. It's a problem.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That's actually frightening. Like a chef not tasting the food he's cooking. How can one know if a design choice is good if they don't even give it a proper try.
    You can make decent design choices for a lot of things that way, but the nature of Starmade makes it hard to predict what a change will do, even compared to other voxel games.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    You can make decent design choices for a lot of things that way, but the nature of Starmade makes it hard to predict what a change will do, even compared to other voxel games.
    you say that but 80% of the exploits were called when the changes were announced. People who play and understand the meta and interactions already exist, and they got dismissed.

Reaction score
    So if I'm reading this right the update allows ships ( at least smaller ships) to be more powerful than under the old system, any space freed up that was intended for more interior by the new power system, you filled up with more system blocks. Sounds like power 2.0 is working way better than intended.

Reaction score
    Hostility I
    I loved the title. Not a clickbait at all, tons of salt being thrown around at each other just as i expected from this community. Essentially only about 10% of the people arguing here know what they are actually talking about and even them mostly sound negative or just whine like a bitch.

I can't even imagine how hard it must be for the members of schine and especially for schema to develop this game and have such a toxic shit community backing it full of little children and man-childs whining and complaining about literally EVERYTHING...

I swear from what I've seen and learned coming back to this game again, reading around on the forums and talking to people on servers, the biggest thing holding back the development of this game currently is the very community behind it. If the cap fits WEAR IT.

Reactions: JinM and aceface

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I loved the title. Not a clickbait at all, tons of salt being thrown around at each other just as i expected from this community. Essentially only about 10% of the people arguing here know what they are actually talking about and even them mostly sound negative or just whine like a bitch.

I can't even imagine how hard it must be for the members of schine and especially for schema to develop this game and have such a toxic shit community backing it full of little children and man-childs whining and complaining about literally EVERYTHING...

I swear from what I've seen and learned coming back to this game again, reading around on the forums and talking to people on servers, the biggest thing holding back the development of this game currently is the very community behind it. If the cap fits WEAR IT.
    Complaining about the community complaining.

Btw where'd you pull the 10% statistic?