Yet another (Star Wars) shipyard

Reaction score
    I initially wanted to redo some of my ships before reposting this, but I guess I'll not have the time before the old site goes down.
    Upcoming changes: When building the X-wing I wanted to utilize hanging lights as these long thingies on the laser cannons. I'll be redoing the Millenium Falcon. I finally found out why it's 1m short, the power setup sucked even before the thrust changes, and with the new hull blocks everything will be better, too.
    Note that all stats are outdated. Thrust probably is higher now for all ships except the X-wing.

So here it is:
    I'm slowly expanding my fleet by vessels you can find in the Star Wars universe. Ships are built as accurate as possible (including interior and the positions of critical sections like power core or shield generators), always using a 1:1 scale.

I just realized we have a limit of 20 images per post. I'll have to do multiple posts and use this one as an index.
    Other Star-Wars-y stuff:

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • T-65 X-wing starfighter
      • Mass: 9.0
      • Dimensions: 13x3x11
      • Power: 763.8 eps
      • Thrust: 31
      • Shields: 1678 (193 sps)

• YT-1300 light freighter

Since there were different models, the ship's systems and interior are only basic, allowing for customization by their specific owners. The turrets are a lot wider than the original, but reducing them to one tube each would obstruct the windows (of the turret control seats) and would go greatly to the expense of the ship's firepower.

Reaction score
    Millenium Falcon (heavily modified YT-1300 light freighter)

• Mass: 164.2
    • Dimensions: 33x3x24 (I messed up somewhere, should be 34-35 long)
    • Power: 6971.1 eps
    • Thrust: 264.4
    • Shields: 11095 (798 sps)

The exterior. It differs from the generic model's only by coloring and the concussion missile tubes in the front:

A view from the pilot's seat:

Cockpit block between the missile tubes:

In case there will ever be an autopilot system or you just want to take a break, you can also switch to the lounge view:

Main corridor, as seen from the entrance. From there you can get to the cockpit (right), the lounge (straight), the turret stations (left, not visible) or the engine room (back, not visible). Note the smuggling compartments in the floor!

The same intersection as seen from the cockpit corridor:

The lounge. In the original, from there you could also get to additional storage rooms, but since the exterior hull only allowed for one block vertical space here, these would be inaccessible (see the one-block Plex door in the lounge view above). I used the available space to increase the size of shield generators and missile tubes and added a few thrusters. After all, it's the fastest ship in the galaxy!

Sadly, the lounge got a lot smaller than the original, too, so there are some things missing (for instance the gaming table where C-3PO and R2-D2 "let the wookie win").

From the lounge you can get to the engine room, passing the crew's quarters, a small engineering station and the hatch in the upper hull, where Lando Calrissian rescued Luke Skywalker from certain doom:

The corridor to the engine room. You can see the before mentioned engeneering station (left), the door to the quarters (right) and some energy pipelining:

The quarters (a LOT smaller than the original):

The engine room. The hyperdrive is (or would be) on the right, the rest is sublight engines and energy pipelining:

The engine room as seen from the hyperdrive. There is a storage room in the back (being at the symmetrically same position as the crew's quarters, it had to be shrunk, too):

We're near the completion of our little tour. From the engine room you can get back to the entrance, passing another engineering station:

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Twin Ion Engine Advanced x1 (Darth Vader's starfighter)
      • Mass: 18.1
      • Dimensions: 9x5x9
      • Thrust: 25
      • Shielding: 806 (111 shields/s)

• Ebon Hawk (Dynamic-class freighter)
      • Mass: 137.5
      • Dimensions: 25x6x23
      • Thrust: 197.4
      • Shielding: 14092 (955 shields/s)
      • Armament: 2 AMCs (> 350 DPS), 2 Turrets with 2 AMCs (> 400 DPS) each

There was no way to fit this ship's interior into its shell. The dormitories where inaccessible (thus, they are now filled with power, shield and thruster blocks), the medical bay is 1x1 block wide (so is the engine room), the cargo hold and many corridors are missing, and the cockpit only provides space for one pilot.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    That Ebon Hawk is 1:1 Scale?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Millenium Falcon (heavily modified YT-1300 light freighter)

• Mass: 164.2
    • Dimensions: 33x3x24 (I messed up somewhere, should be 34-35 long)
    • Power: 6971.1 eps
    • Thrust: 264.4
    • Shields: 11095 (798 sps)

The exterior. It differs from the generic model's only by coloring and the concussion missile tubes in the front:

A view from the pilot's seat:

Cockpit block between the missile tubes:

In case there will ever be an autopilot system or you just want to take a break, you can also switch to the lounge view:

Main corridor, as seen from the entrance. From there you can get to the cockpit (right), the lounge (straight), the turret stations (left, not visible) or the engine room (back, not visible). Note the smuggling compartments in the floor!

The same intersection as seen from the cockpit corridor:

The lounge. In the original, from there you could also get to additional storage rooms, but since the exterior hull only allowed for one block vertical space here, these would be inaccessible (see the one-block Plex door in the lounge view above). I used the available space to increase the size of shield generators and missile tubes and added a few thrusters. After all, it's the fastest ship in the galaxy!

Sadly, the lounge got a lot smaller than the original, too, so there are some things missing (for instance the gaming table where C-3PO and R2-D2 "let the wookie win").

From the lounge you can get to the engine room, passing the crew's quarters, a small engineering station and the hatch in the upper hull, where Lando Calrissian rescued Luke Skywalker from certain doom:

The corridor to the engine room. You can see the before mentioned engeneering station (left), the door to the quarters (right) and some energy pipelining:

The quarters (a LOT smaller than the original):

The engine room. The hyperdrive is (or would be) on the right, the rest is sublight engines and energy pipelining:

The engine room as seen from the hyperdrive. There is a storage room in the back (being at the symmetrically same position as the crew's quarters, it had to be shrunk, too):

We're near the completion of our little tour. From the engine room you can get back to the entrance, passing another engineering station:
    Your missing the two turrets from Episode IV when Han and Luke shot down the TIE's.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I have an Ebon Hawk thats more functional and still looks right

Reaction score
    About the ebon hawk size:
    Uhm, yeah, that is very nice.
    That one? Sure. You're a real miracle worker, having better stats with a ship 3 times the original size.
    Taken from the discussion page from wookieepedia:
    I run ColonialChrome, a deckplan website and am often asked to do a version of the Ebon Hawk. Generally my stance is to refuse, but whilst doing a feasibility study I developed data that would indicate that the ship's stated length is incorrect.

Specifically when you look at the shots of the main hold it is possible to determine the size (roughly) of the tube corridors. If we assume that since they are nearly the same size as those in the falcon they are in fact identical, or near to it, we arrive with a total interior width of 2.4 meters. If we take that figure (even as a ball park) to the rendered deck layout and scale the ship based on the width of the corridors the ship length jumps up to around seventy meters, (I'd err towards seventy five, personally) much more than the twenty four listed here.

If we take the stated dimensions as accurate then the corridors in the Ebon Hawk are only eighty centimeters in width.

Since I don't (and won't) own a copy of the game I thought it prudent to raise the issue here rather than change the page directly.

81.168.41.150 13:55, 25 July 2007 (UTC)

woodmattc - "I definitely concur with ColonialChrome, the Ebon Hawk must be something much larger than stated. I have begun making a 3d model of the Ebon Hawk. Using the deckplan on this website as the beginning of a template, and giving it the stated dimensions, I do not believe any human could board it. I will see what I can determine regarding a more feasible actual size."

I also agree with this point. I also notice ingame that the mosels in the landing areas, are about half the size of the ship. I know this by using the characters height. For a female character, the bridge is around as wide as you are tall, but from the inside, it is more than twice your height. Point is, don't trust given lengths. 24 meters, impossible, 75 believable, i will calculate this. 70.178.195.92 16:18, July 1, 2010 (UTC)

THE EBON HAWK SHIP

Simply put; How big is the ship.

The simplest way is through scaling. How do you scale? You take a refference point thats is know by all and work from there. For those who played the Game " Knight of the old republic " and "Kotor 2" when you go to the port or staboard side of the ship you see 3 beds lined up on each sides. Beds are a know quantity 6 feet long. Thats your refference point from that, take the lenght of 3 bed line up 3X6=18 feet; measure the inside of the map of the ship and calculate the ships dimensions. I've done it for ya. Conservative size if you take the inside map and the outside of the ship, the hull plating and all you get:

Length=204.1 feet or 61.8 meters Width=185.9 feet , 56.3 meters

How do i get those; take your 3 beds X 6 feet=18 feet divide by measurements 24 mm=1.3 feet. So each mm on your ruler=1.3 feet , thats your scale. Now take your floor plan and start calculating. You'll find that:

Cockpit=19.5 feet X 13 feet wide engine room=9 feet X 4.3 feet Dormatories=18 feet X 8 feet port and starboard corridors=6.5 feet wide ( circular remember so only the base can be walked on like the Falcon) Ramp=28.6 feet X 3.1 feet Swoop Bike garage=46.8 X 41.6 feet Cargo Hold=40.3 feet X 19.5 feet Sick bay=14.3 X 14.3 ( both axes ) Communication station=28.6 feet X 16.9 feet ( wonder why so big not useful in story) Main Hold=45.5 feet X 32.5 feet and 9 feet tall at least( Zaalbar is a WOOKIEE )and stands on one side.So we can assume that this room is the tallest since are corridors are 6.5 feet circular and leads to most of the other rooms. The center of the ship is also naturally the highest it stand to reason.

Wich brings the theory that the Millenium falcon woud be bigger...Wrong!! the numbers don't add up. The number of room alone in the Hawk is greater, the cockpit size alone, there's no swopbike size roon on the Falcon, or 2 sets of bunk beds(6). The famous two turret fact on the falcon is weak at best if we caculate map wise. So any debators?

Retrieved from "http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/User:Basile" Basile Basile 15:21, 14 May 2008 (UTC)

I'm not sure if we're going to like this, or if it just muddies the waters further. Using 3dvia Print screen [1] I captured the geometry (and many of the textures) from KOTORII TSL. Then using koichiSenada's 3dsMaxConvertXml [2] I imported the geometry into 3d Studio Max. The scale wasn't exactly right but the models also included HK-47, which according to the databank is 1.8 meters tall. I made a ruler 1.8 meters tall and sized HK-47 and the rest of the model according to that. Unfortunately this is when it got strange. When capturing the geometry of the outside of the Hawk, the dimensions were 30m long X 26.8m wide, pretty close to the measurements listed. I was surprised to find this so I dug a little deeper. Evidently the Hawk is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. I entered the Hawk and did another capture, still including HK-47 and resized it the same way. Using this as a template, I imported the geometry from the external 3d model and it (the previously mentioned external render) was very much smaller. Upon carefully resizing the external model to correctly fit the rendering of the inside, the new dimensions were 77m wide X 87m long. My best guess is that the game designers found it much easier to show a smaller model when not boarded so that it would fit in the game modules better. These aren't exact but by changing the way I import the geometry I believe I could come up with an exact size. Here's a link to some renders that I created of the geometry used to make this estimation. [3] If there is interest I can go further to determine the exact dimensions created by the game designers. I do certainly believe that the size of the Hawk needs to be adjusted. woodmattc 1/16/2009 12:11 (CST)

Unfortunately, that is all considered Original Research, which we don't apply here at Wookieepedia. The article's size information comes directly from a legitimate canon source, Starships of the Galaxy. Toprawa and Ralltiir 18:35, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
    And since that legitimate canon source disagrees with the original source, the offending figure shall be removed accordingly. 12seraph 23:50, November 16, 2011 (UTC)
    Who keeps putting the number back? 12seraph 04:48, November 18, 2011 (UTC)
    Not I.Woodmattc (talk) 17:56, October 15, 2012 (UTC)

Very well. But you should know that I'm emailing Leland Chee over this. :-D It was fun, thanks for looking at it anyway. BTW, I did figure out how to get the model to import while keeping the original dimensions that the designers used. It was 86.4m long and 77.5m wide, and Canon or not that's the size I'm building my own model! Woodmattc 20:13, 16 January 2009 (UTC)

Could we perhaps add something about this to the "Behind the Scenes" section? The game designers built the ship bigger on the inside than the outside for purposes of fitting into the game modules and state the dimensions? I am quite sure within .25 meters that the last stated dimensions are accurate to the build, since I did no resizing but adjusted editing parameters to match those of the imported geometry prior to importing. Woodmattc 15:20, 17 January 2009 (UTC)

BTW, I did figure out how to get the model to import while keeping the original dimensions that the designers used. It was 86.4m long and 77.5m wide
    About the scaling in the old repubblic:
    In general the sizes from the old republic era stated in some books or in the games (Kotor/KotorII) are really inconsistent.

Another example: The size of a Hammerhead Class Cruiser is according to the "Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide" 315 meters long, while if you calculate the size with the size of the bridge-windows in "Knights of the Old Republic" you get something like max 120 meters.
    It gets even weirder if you look at the inexpugnable-class which has a length of 3100 meters according to the "Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide", while in the comics (which is where its basically from) its about 3 times as large as a normal Hammerhead Class Cruiser:

According to the beloved "Knights of the old Republic Campaign Guide" the ship in the background top/right is the 752 meters long Kyramud-type Battleship.
    If you look at this:
    Therefore the Inexpugnable-class isn't anywhere near 3100 meters. Its at best 3 times the size of a Hammerhead-Class (between 3x 315 meters and 3x 120 meters). From the size of the bridge windows I calculated the length of the inexpugnable-class to be somewhere around 450-550 meters, which should be the most accurate result for the comic size. (Unless the pilotes you see on the bridge are 3 meters tall o_O)
    What that means for 1:1 scaled ships:
    Since the size of many of these starwars (there are probably much more ships from other scifi universes with the same problem) ships can be very different in various sources. You can't say that a certain size is definitely the right size of the ship.
    The ebon hawk for example is in the games insides bigger than outsides. Even in the game its from you can't find a definite size.

Therefore just build the version that feels like: "Thats in my opinion the most reasonable size i can think of."
    You can't be right neither you can be wrong. And noone can basically accuse you for building the wrong size, when you just have any reason to assume the ship has that certain size.

Reaction score
    Dragleones: I know all that. What does it have to do with my post?

Since the size of many of these starwars (there are probably much more ships from other scifi universes with the same problem) ships can be very different in various sources. You can't say that a certain size is definitely the right size of the ship.
    You can say that the sizes from official Star Wars sources are the right ones. They usually also represent the size of a ship's exterior. If we compare the Ebon Hawk's exterior with other objects in KOTOR (like people), we can see that the size listed on Wookieepedia is pretty accurate. It is also reasonable to assume that the ship's interior was scaled up so it's easier to get around.

However, all this doesn't have to do anything with my post above. Everyone can build a bigger ship and get better stats. Also, stats are not the point of my recreations. They will have the probably best possible stats that won't compromise the detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    My bad :x
    Was too hasty on interpreting your post being related to whats-the-accurate-size rather than the stats :oops:

[...]You can say that the sizes from official Star Wars sources are the right ones. [...]
    Well... While its clear that everything stated in the movies has more validity than anything stated in comics/sourcebooks/etc. . It become pretty unclear whats the most valid data if for example in the post above the game and the comics give a completly different result than the sourcebook about said comic and game. They all are not really "official" since they are only released under the trademark.
    The same problem exists for many other content in the extended universe.
    But all that is pretty much offtopic now :x

Any plans for upcoming bigger projects?

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I want Hammerheads!!! Endar Spire here I come!!!!

Or you know you could follow the new fad of creating Star Destroyers

Reaction score
    I present to you...

Interstellar Tug (Republic Tugboat)
    The tug from the The Clone Wars TV series. I do also believe it's the first fully functional tugboat StarMade has seen. :)
    • Mass: 210
    • Dimensions: 32x17x15
    • Power: 9577.4 e/s
    • Thrust: 135.7
    • Shields: 16225 (181 shields/s)
    • Other Systems: 2 tractor beam projectors (1 push, 1 pull)
    starmade-screenshot-0001.png starmade-screenshot-0002.png starmade-screenshot-0003.png

Download

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    Okay, this is not really a thing for the Shipyard section, but it still seems to be the best fit to me.
    Some of you might have heard that we are getting build mode templates with the upcoming update. Basically these are small parts that can be pasted onto your structure.

I created templates for all known characters in the Aurebesh alphabet. You can use those to add authentic writing to your builds.
    aurebesh.jpg

Download
    It's CC-BY licensed, which means that you can use this font for every purpose you see fit—provided you credit me.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I created templates for all known characters in the Aurebesh alphabet. You can use those to add authentic writing to your builds.
    Download
    It's CC-BY licensed, which means that you can use this font for every purpose you see fit—provided you credit me.
    On a first look I thought this is a texture file.

Maybe not a bad idea to make 16x16 letters, a screen-shot and use this as a texture file :)
    Could create the look of big for a small ship.
    I am not sure if your licence
    1. fits the StarMade rules
    2. if your work is enough to use your own license rather than a licence of a former source (who uses it? or is it completely your own? I doubt none of these are used anywhere before)
    3. Where/How to credit you? A display block? If it wouldn't ruin the look at the ship's hull it could instead be overseen easily enough to make you feel like not being credited at all.
    4. Does not impose more work done by properly mentioning you + finding/using the texture later than you did work on the texture. (thinking about total work of all peoples using it rather than of a single user)

I am not against licensing but maybe in a few cases it does more harm than good.
    For everything less than a day's work I prefer the WTFPL (The do-What-The-Fuck-you-want Public License - yes it is really true and exists. Wikipedia it)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    On a first look I thought this is a texture file.

Maybe not a bad idea to make 16x16 letters, a screen-shot and use this as a texture file :)
    Could create the look of big for a small ship.

I am not sure if your licence
    1. fits the StarMade rules
    2. if your work is enough to use your own license rather than a licence of a former source (who uses it? or is it completely your own? I doubt none of these are used anywhere before)
    3. Where/How to credit you? A display block? If it wouldn't ruin the look at the ship's hull it could instead be overseen easily enough to make you feel like not being credited at all.
    4. Does not impose more work done by properly mentioning you + finding/using the texture later than you did work on the texture. (thinking about total work of all peoples using it rather than of a single user)
    Probably the best is to have some overview over texture packs and just refer to this overview whenever using letters on a ship.
    It should be easy to get the author when entering a very unique letter as ASCII-code
    BB
    B\\
    ..B
    .//
    .B

And have an algorithm processing it's signature

I am not against licensing but maybe in a few cases it does more harm than good.
    For everything less than a day's work I prefer the WTFPL (The do-What-The-Fuck-you-want Public License - yes it is really true and exists. Wikipedia it)
    You have managed to confuse me. First, let me respond to the stuff which I'm not confused about.

1. Yes, why shouldn't it?
    2. This is the Aurebesh alphabet that is used in the Star Wars universe. I do think I can use this license here, because basically this is pixel art.
    3. Credit in terms of CC is usually due only if you make your derived work (ship/space station) publicly available. In that case it would be appropriate to drop a comment on your download page. Using display modules additionally is of course fine.
    4. I don't understand the question, but let me explain instead why I'm using the license in the first place:
      The licensing of art or other stuff resulting from a creative process is usually very restrictive. If I'm not mistaken, most of these uploads in community content may, strictly speaking, not be redistributed or modified. Obviously most people don't know about that and some others might not care.
      I am therefore using this license to make the terms clear. There are also many good reasons why one should choose an available license instead of fabricating their own. The most important ones:
      1. Users have to learn only few licenses, instead of a new one for every resource.
      2. There may be loopholes allowing uses that you didn't think of.
      3. There may be loopholes restricting users in a way you didn't think of. Might especially be problematic if you became inactive.

So, now to the topic of textures. Those are not textures, they are build mode templates. Those are supposed to be prefabbed parts that can be loaded into the game and mounted on your builds. I'm being creative here and using this system for fonts.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Those are not textures, they are build mode templates.
    See it as an compliment of me saying these blocks do not look like simple blocks - not with these words, but in this sense.

1. Maybe because of of the licence text you accept when first starting the StarMade launcher (different from forum rules) says something along <that you make every content you create available by playing public and have no right to push others removing your content after you discovered a usage you don't like> If I remember it right. May have something more, can't find the re-open button.

4. @1+2+3 I know.
    • Sometimes I wish there was one between GPL and LGPL saying you let yourself get paid before making code available (unlike what GPL forbits) but not on a per-user basis (unlike what LGPL allows with the parts that belong to you)
      • I mean something like : once you get paid, it belongs to the public.
    • But this gets off-topic.
    What I mean by my 4. :
    If person A spends 10 minutes finding it, 5 minutes looking up for the authors name (you) ... Then person B does the same, then person C to N and all are spending in total 5*14=70 minutes.

Now if it took you less than 70 minutes, then you really did a "So very totally evil." thing, because you imposed >70 minutes of work by working for <70 minutes.
    -> if now 50 peoples would use it, it would impose 250 minutes == >4 hours of work on others.

Not saying this is bad for a single thing, but think of the whole : mentioning somebody for each possible order of blocks in a 8x8x8 cube, etc.

Creating this under the CC-BY license will prevent others from doing it themselves maybe without wanting others to spend so much time mentioning them.
    -> Prevent because you will claim it using yours when you see something that looks like a letter of yours (not unlikely by the few number of used blocks per letter)
    Not saying you want to "beat" others, but think about something that can be created with 5 hours work and impose 10000 hours of work on those who use it.
    That is and was my concern. I hope it is now clear what I mean.

Last edited: