WizTech Fleetworks - Capital Ship Mainframe Computer

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So, being a fan of logic systems and technology in general, I'm working on creating a sort of logics center that I can template into my larger ships. The project is dubbed the "WizTech Fleetworks Capital Ship Mainframe Computer". Despite the name, this isn't a computer in the sense of a general programmable computer (though I have been tempted to take on such a project), but rather a logics system with multiple subsections responsible for handling different tasks.

The current subsystems I've developed so far are as follows:
    -Turret Status Subsystem
    -Enemy Detection Subsystem
    -Damage Detection Subsystem

All systems running on a clock will be connected to the master clock. This way, if for some reason the clocks aren't running on spawn or something (an issue I had oddly had in local game with a ship of mine... I don't know if this is or was a common issue), you can press one button, and all systems will be running.

I'm going to create a demo video and upload it for download when it's completed, but I'm trying to figure out if there's any other useful subsystems I should develop for it? starmade-screenshot-0047.png starmade-screenshot-0048.png starmade-screenshot-0049.png

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I think the point to enemy detectors is to make them as compact as possible in the case of turret based ones as for others I guess it'd depend on what they are. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think the point to enemy detectors is to make them as compact as possible in the case of turret based ones as for others I guess it'd depend on what they are. :)
    The way this works, for the enemy detection, is it receives a high signal over wireless if an enemy is detected. The blocks in that subsystem only consist of a wireless block, inverter, and display for labeling. The reason for the inversion is because I intend to use it to toggle red force-fields to pop up around a holographic representation of the ship. The real work of enemy detection is actually done in the turrets, and I'm sure various designs for enemy detection circuits are around enough that could be connected to this. The design I'm using is a cannon with a damage beam slave, one block for each, a single power capacitor and charger. I then have a sensor block that detects when the power drops below full, resulting from the shot. Due to how sensors work, I have an extra wireless block that feeds off the master clock.

The reason this subsystem has so many blocks, total, is because I have enough to detect enemies in 6 different areas (above, below, in front, behind, left, right).

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The way this works, for the enemy detection, is it receives a high signal over wireless if an enemy is detected. The blocks in that subsystem only consist of a wireless block, inverter, and display for labeling. The reason for the inversion is because I intend to use it to toggle red force-fields to pop up around a holographic representation of the ship. The real work of enemy detection is actually done in the turrets, and I'm sure various designs for enemy detection circuits are around enough that could be connected to this. The design I'm using is a cannon with a damage beam slave, one block for each, a single power capacitor and charger. I then have a sensor block that detects when the power drops below full, resulting from the shot. Due to how sensors work, I have an extra wireless block that feeds off the master clock.

The reason this subsystem has so many blocks, total, is because I have enough to detect enemies in 6 different areas (above, below, in front, behind, left, right).
    Having 6 EMDs in all axis, is there any deadzone that the EMDs can't cover?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Having 6 EMDs in all axis, is there any deadzone that the EMDs can't cover?
    I think the only time 6 arranged such that there is one on each face of the bounding box would be insufficient would be if they are placed poorly, such that part of the ship is obstructing the detectors ability to face the enemy.

Reaction score
    I'm working on something similar right now. A pluggable module that can be fit into my ships with links that can be used to other modules I've designed.

Currently I have:
    A logic clock

Backup Shield %

Recharge timer on docked logic weapons of various types.

Current % of filled Cargo pods

Most of these connect to display modules which create floating text in my field of vision when I'm piloting the ship.

My Red Alert is an independent tin can that plugs into the side of my ships and gets taken beneath the hull by rails, where it docks to a room premade with all of the in/out wireless ports needed to hook up the ship's lighting.

Other things I've contemplated adding to the computer module are:
    A switch which can toggle lockdown upon Red Alert signal.

A "master switch" to activate and deactivate most major systems. Possibly with a password lock.

Remote door access for a prebuilt "tug" that comes with the ship and is used for switching out large modules.

Reaction score

If a turret "chooses" a target, and is aiming at it, if you move the turret along a rail, will it continue to aim at the same target?

If it does, you could take the initial reading, move along one axis and take a second reading ,then move along a different axis and take a third reading.
    This would let you triangulate the target in space, and know its 3D location, not just direction.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If a turret "chooses" a target, and is aiming at it, if you move the turret along a rail, will it continue to aim at the same target?

If it does, you could take the initial reading, move along one axis and take a second reading ,then move along a different axis and take a third reading.
    This would let you triangulate the target in space, and know its 3D location, not just direction.
    While the math is right, I don't know of any way to take the measurement of the angle the turret is facing. The best I know can be done would be front, back, top, bottom, left, right.

Reaction score
    While the math is right, I don't know of any way to take the measurement of the angle the turret is facing. The best I know can be done would be front, back, top, bottom, left, right.
    There are probably better methods, but checking which block in a wall it shot at would be one method.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There are probably better methods, but checking which block in a wall it shot at would be one method.
    Do you mean manually checking that...? If I were manually checking for the location of enemy ships, I'd be better off opening the nav computer or something.

Reaction score
    Do you mean manually checking that...? If I were manually checking for the location of enemy ships, I'd be better off opening the nav computer or something.
    No, have a wall of shielded blocks, with logic checking each one to detect shield drops. That'll tell you the direction.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    No, have a wall of shielded blocks, with logic checking each one to detect shield drops. That'll tell you the direction.
    I'm pretty certain that checks the entire ship's shields, and not just an individual block's. Only way to make that work would be to have each one a seperate docked entity. In either case, this is getting way too complicated for something with minimal usefulness at best. Only really need to know a general direction with an alert, as nav computer can give you the specific location.

Reaction score
    I'm pretty certain that checks the entire ship's shields, and not just an individual block's. Only way to make that work would be to have each one a seperate docked entity.
    Yes, each would be an entity.

In either case, this is getting way too complicated for something with minimal usefulness at best. Only really need to know a general direction with an alert, as nav computer can give you the specific location.
    Depends on your point of view ;)

Another way would be for a long arm on the barrel to move to a location in a wall/sphere of area triggers (actually just two rings would be enough, one for each axes). They could all be linked to separate trigger controllers without needing multiple entities.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Another way would be for a long arm on the barrel to move to a location in a wall/sphere of area triggers (actually just two rings would be enough, one for each axes). They could all be linked to separate trigger controllers without needing multiple entities.
    If area triggers work for docked entities, that could work. It's admittedly been quite a while, but last time I tested to see if that worked, I did not. (Year or two ago I was trying to control the movement of a docked entity on rails using area triggers, as I was wanting to detect wherever the entity started, and not just wherever it was physically docked.) If it's working now, there's probably other fun stuff I could use it for, as well.
    [doublepost=1485538148,1485538012][/doublepost]

Long story short, though, I'd have to create a relatively complex ALU to combine the results of the 3 readings to triangulate the enemy position. During the time it takes the turret to slide along the rail, the enemy will already be in a different position, the enemy could be destroyed, or the turret could've changed targets (for all I know).

Reaction score
    If area triggers work for docked entities, that could work. It's admittedly been quite a while, but last time I tested to see if that worked, I did not. (Year or two ago I was trying to control the movement of a docked entity on rails using area triggers, as I was wanting to detect wherever the entity started, and not just wherever it was physically docked.) If it's working now, there's probably other fun stuff I could use it for, as well.
    [doublepost=1485538148,1485538012][/doublepost]

Long story short, though, I'd have to create a relatively complex ALU to combine the results of the 3 readings to triangulate the enemy position. During the time it takes the turret to slide along the rail, the enemy will already be in a different position, the enemy could be destroyed, or the turret could've changed targets (for all I know).
    Yes, there'd certainly be some difficult aspects to it, and one would be having the rails short enough to keep travel time down, but long enough to get accurate triangulation.

Can you think of any way to simultaneously get three readings on the same target? (I can't, but I'm not very experienced)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, there'd certainly be some difficult aspects to it, and one would be having the rails short enough to keep travel time down, but long enough to get accurate triangulation.

Can you think of any way to simultaneously get three readings on the same target? (I can't, but I'm not very experienced)
    Have three set turrets taking each respective reading simultaneously. Still, it would be impossible to make the calculation fast enough, using logic blocks, for it to be meaningful. At least, without using some rather exploitative, rail based clocks, and avoiding using buttons and delay blocks in the design. Such a design might induce lag in the server, though, take up space better used for systems in a pvp ship or better used for interiors in an rp ship, imho.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, but how do you ensure they're all giving readings on the same target?
    Unfortunately, that's an issue you're going to have either way :p The only way to ensure they're aimed at the same target would be to have them "fire on selected target", but if you have target selected, such a system is unnecessary. Another reason why, alas, such a setup is pointless.