Who else doesn't like the new planets?

Reaction score
    I still prefer the "oreo" planets. I have kept quite and have tried to like the new ones - but between the slower generation, the look and feel of wedges - and just the overall "shape" of them - I prefer the older planets - I would support an option in the server.cfg to either limit it to one or the other or both if that was possible. If it doesn't happen I'll live and still greatly enjoy the game.

Reaction score
    Agreed, and I couldn't find them on the new site (admittedly I haven't looked closely, so they may be hiding somewhere) But what is described in the OP, the planet-islands, were indeed on the old site HERE.

View attachment 2270
    This one was made by the Username: Richarod
    This is fantastic, I really would prefer planets looking similar to this, just imagine an atmosphere around it.. Wouldn't make too much sense, but would give that feeling of a "bio-dome" or something.

I dislike these current planets as well, wish we had the option to choose flat planets, I'd instantly enjoy the game a lot more. For some reason, the flat planets felt larger and more like planets instead of over-sized asteroids. I know I can increase the size, but that will impact fps quite a bit because every side becomes larger.. Maybe if schema will indeed add multiple types of generation in the future, he could also try out the floating island stuff :D

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Besides being lag monsters I don't understand what the big deal is. The planets are good approximations to spheres. They look fine with a few exceptions being the borders between slabs and some janky terrain if the planet isn't large enough. The oreo planets looked dumb from the bottom and all sides besides the top. The game is a voxel game so it makes some sense that gravity would be discret like it is. That is to say a 'jump' when switching between layers.

Reaction score
    maybe just adding a new block shape like the hull wedges, but with a different angle to fit the angle between 2 "faces" of a planet could make them a lot more "good looking" anyway, i also prefer the old oreo cause of the faster (lotfaster) generating / rendering. + With oreo, if you fall down during a fight, it's still possible to "jump in void" for escape, better than just suicide if you have lost your last ship core ^^'

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    After they added the world editor I made a temp universe and played with some config settings and I discovered that if you crank the size of planets up from the 175 +- 100 to something like 375 +- 200 they work so much better. I get why everyone can't do that because not everyone has the hardware that I have in my PC, but if you can get away with it then give it a try. When you make them bigger things like the weird edges aren't that big of a deal because you don't run into them very often. Yeah there's a little loading time when you first enter a planet, but it's no worse than the loading time of levels on 95% of the other games out there. I think if they could get the engine optimized enough and maybe do something like make the atmosphere opaque from the outside (as in don't render the planet blocks unless the player is in the atmosphere so that you don't have to worry about it if you're just flying by) then I would be happy. I think it's just that they're on other stuff right now. Maybe the solution is larger, less-frequent planets. I like the way they are now just fine, I just wished they were bigger...and now mine are :D

Reaction score
    I think if they could get the engine optimized enough and maybe do something like make the atmosphere opaque from the outside (as in don't render the planet blocks unless the player is in the atmosphere so that you don't have to worry about it if you're just flying by) then I would be happy.
    That and puck planets would make me very happy!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why must people hate the dodecahedron planets :(
    If the occlusion culling was to be improved a bit more, the edges were made just that bit smoother and the planets wouldn't lag as much everybody would love them.

Oh, and the atmosphere and lighting needs to be fixed too.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It is sort of fun... But then the silly plate sections just continue to sit out in space, which is annoying. There should be a way, short of salvaging or missile spam, to eliminate them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I personally just like the old Plateworlds because they gave e a nice amount of space to build houses, etc.

Reaction score
    I have spoke of this before and have been dubbed as an A hole. Perhaps I was not so eloquent in my delivery of my thoughts on the matter.. but.. it is good to see I was not wrong.

It is quite impressive to behold.. a planet.. or it's mock contender.. I never realized that in my discovery of world's that I was meant simply to behold that world's creation as it struggles to render itself.

The world's look awesome when they actually render.

No one wants to wait that long.

In fact.. No one even wants to visit them for this reason.

Of course I am an A hole.. but I call it as I see it, and I see, because I pay attention.

This game is not Spore.

In fact.. to put it ever so lightly.. spore was not even a game.. it's heart was in the right place.. but fell short of an interactive Galaxy.

Kiddie renditions of world's..

World's are massive.. period.

They can never be accurately rendered..

Case in point.. we all live our entire lives and only see a small peice of one.. render that.[DOUBLEPOST=1413681683,1413678747][/DOUBLEPOST]The true conundrum Ithirahad.. they should not be there at all.

The beauty of destroying a planet. So majestic.. the beauty in fact is.. I could have done so without being lagged or forced to view an empty plate. I'm awaiting that version of reality.. so is every other Starmade capable individual as it seems.

There is only one way to appropriately render a world.. I have already offered my thought on this.. that was how I first became an outcast.. that is why I am still one.

Continue to blast away.. eventually.. that useless disk, or deca whatever will go away and be replaced with what it should be.[DOUBLEPOST=1413682708][/DOUBLEPOST]The grouch in my mind? Crafting should not have been a priority over functional world's.[DOUBLEPOST=1413684264][/DOUBLEPOST]Well.. it is a voxel game after all.. perhaps a different version. I fail to settle for what has already been made.. that is why I love Starmade, it ever redefines my boundaries.. but.. Schema.. to what extent?

Crafting?

A very useless distraction.

World's my friend.. do not Dodge the importance of them.

Fix what is broken first.. then we can craft what is not.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    In a game about space, building and fliying ships, you really think what's broken are the planets?

Reaction score
    Why must people hate the dodecahedron planets :(
    If the occlusion culling was to be improved a bit more, the edges were made just that bit smoother and the planets wouldn't lag as much everybody would love them.

Oh, and the atmosphere and lighting needs to be fixed too.
    My main issue with them is that there is no way to properly orient your ship to the sides of the planet. The discs only had 1 side, making orienting yourself super duper easy.

Yes, this is space, where there is no up, down, etc, etc. But this game makes HEAVY use of a grid system, and the D10 planets just do not fit with the rest of the game (IMO of course). If we had proper orientation capabilities, I could live with them, though I would prever the islands and/or cube planets.

In a game about space, building and fliying ships, you really think what's broken are the planets?
    The planets are a big part of space games such as this. You can build a base, start a quarry, etc. I just feel that the current style is not conducive to the rest of the game. With the disc planets, I was excited to go see what type of terrain would generate. I could park my ship overhead and take a landing craft down to the surface. Now, however, it doesn't feel the same. I cant orient my ship properly overhead, the planets take forever to load. I am just not excited or even interested in ever going to a planet anymore.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I just like how much space there was to do things on the default old ones, these new ones feel cramped and kind of throttle the world gen options imo. I just can't imagine towers and larger structures looking good jutting off at angles on the current worlds either. Like others said, they just feel like bigger asteroids that have a performance impact.

After upgrading my system a bit, worlds don't really hold back my pc anymore as long as there aren't a ton of planets nearby. My opinion hasn't really changed though. A simple universe generation option (or server config) for planet types would work for everyone.

Also a large part of the game for me is being able to setup a home planet of your own. Building ships is fun and all, but construction worlds is great too, especially after npcs and creatures start spawning on planets.

My 2 cents anyways.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Is it just me or are the planets loading faster with the newer updates. I used to go to a planet and my frame rate made the game unplayable. I started a new survival server and now I can go to a large planet and battle and have a decent frame rate.

One great advantage of the current planets is you can land an invasion force on one side of a planet without being seen or coming under enemy fire then attack an enemy base from any side. You basically could only attack a base from one place on a flat planet and you would probably be spotted. Plus with the flat planets somebody hovering over the planet could see everything you were doing on the surface. Now they must fly around the planet to find you.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    @Mr.Steam you really need to play the dev build. Visit a planet and you'll know why. You'll also see messages saying you can capture a system, but that's not what I want you to see. The thing I want you to see has to do with the planet itself.

Reaction score
    @Mr.Steam you really need to play the dev build. Visit a planet and you'll know why. You'll also see messages saying you can capture a system, but that's not what I want you to see. The thing I want you to see has to do with the planet itself.
    Oh shit now I really want to try the dev build. I forgot, where do you download the dev?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh shit now I really want to try the dev build. I forgot, where do you download the dev?
    In the launcher, go to options, then installation settings, and change it to dev. Then just press the update button and you'r good to go ;)

Reaction score
    I.. don't see the difference? D: Apart from massive lag spikes, that is.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I used to complain about dodecahedrons and suggest all manner of elaborate ways to do away with segments and force an approximation of a sphere into the game, but the truth is that anything of that scale will wind up taking a year or more to code and get working well. Even then, all the n00bs trying to play with their render distance too high will scream "LAAAHHHG!"

Seriously, people, turn on occlusion culling and turn down your render distance like me. There is no difference between a moderate-sized planet and two or three large cruisers in terms of graphics intensity. If you don't like low render distance, consider a new computer if you can afford one.

Well, anyway, I figure I may as well suggest ways to fix what we have rather than uproot several months worth of work on these planets. As such, I'm trying to identify specific flaws and devise fixes for them. See the planet thread linked in my signature.[DOUBLEPOST=1414258604,1414255911][/DOUBLEPOST]The gravity transitions have been fixed in the dev build. You can now walk more or less smoothly across edges, making planets far more playable. However, the edges still have ugly cracks, unfortunately.

Instead of complaining about planets, how about checking out the planet thread in my signature? Let's address specific problems and find solutions.

Reactions: FunnyBunny14