Who else doesn't like the new planets?

Reaction score
    Ill be straight up here. I flat out do not like the new planets.

I can see their appeal, and I do agree they are better then the oreos we had before, but they just don't sit well with me.

My main beef with them is there is no way to snap your ships orientation to a particular side of the planet. It annoys me to no end when I can not orient myself to align with something. And no, rotating myself is not the same thing. I've already written a thread about ship orientation.

Secondly. Albiet a bug, but the player does not orient themselves to the gravity of the planet when you exit a ship until you are actually over the land of the planet itself. This makes it nearly impossible for me to get out of some of my ships without having to break a hole.

Thirdly, the gaps between sides, IMHO, are down right ugly.

Lastly, the planets take way too long to generate. Yeah yeah, I know why they take longer, more blocks, yadda yadda, but I don't feel like the increased generation time (Several minutes just to mostly generate a planet) is an acceptable trade-off for what we had before.

Personally, I would much prefer giant island looking planets, much like this. I just really feel like the current planets don't work well with the rest of the game, and I have been avoiding planets for these reasons. I don't have the desire to go anywhere near them ever again.

Alas, this thread is probably against popular opinion and doomed to be pushed back to the void of the forums before tomorrow. Anyhoo, that is just my take on the new planets.

Reactions: JimmyJamba

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Well, I can't agree with your preferences (Floating islands) due to the Nature of it being a space game (Perhaps if the bottoms of the islands were pointed at the sun?).

But I generally avoided Planets anyways - w- all they are, are lag monsters with annoying Auto-gravity. I'll stick to half-sector sized Stations. But on the few trips I have made to Planets, I can see what you mean :/
    Orientation I can deal with cause I'm either in a fighter (so i land) or a Large ship so I stay away and get a shuttle (to land).

But Gaps and Gravity are being worked on I assume, and optimization will help speed up the loading of the planets, so I guess its just something we have to wait and see.

On the other hand, once we get modding, a Planet Mod may be something interesting to see o -o Just saying.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I really like the design, actually. They're extremely processor-intensive, though, so I'd like to see better optimization for them, and orientation to the side of the planet you're on, like you said.

We also sorely need better ground transportation options.

Reactions: jorgekorke
    Reaction score
    Well, I can't agree with your preferences (Floating islands) due to the Nature of it being a space game (Perhaps if the bottoms of the islands were pointed at the sun?).
    Not sure how it being a space game has much merit here, since there are plenty of other factors that negate any sort of realism planets had going for them. Space or not, this game makes heavy usage of the XYZ planes of orientation, and having things like islands/island clusters for "planets" would put everything on the same "plane" of orientation, like the oreos were. The game is in dire need of alternate methods for orienting your ship if they continue with non-XYZ oriented... things.

The current planets could work, but currently, IMO, they literally kill the game for me.

Reaction score
    I'm confused on what you're talking about with aligning and orienting?

CTRL/mouse aligns you pretty pretty well (though having an align to button for selected targets would be awesome)

Reaction score
    I agree , in most aspects I preferred the old planets. The floating island idea is interesting maybe if there were some asteroid belts around it ? With the current planets I currently cant do much near them without the lag breaking things haha but I have faith that things will work out.

Reaction score
    When out of a ship, doesn't aiming at an object and pressing X orientate you with the object? I'm pretty sure this works with ships but does it work with planets too? This would make travel between ship & planet a lot cleaner without digging holes in your ship!

Personally, I love the new planets. Massive improvement over the disc-worlds but they do still need some tweaking (like rendering in the whole outer surface first, rather than what ever is closest to the player)

Lag? not had any, though perhaps my laptop & desktop have enough grunt to deal with them.

My biggest issue, I want them bigger, though I do see the clear downsides to this!

Reactions: Cerebralhemirage
    Reaction score
    I'm confused on what you're talking about with aligning and orienting?

CTRL/mouse aligns you pretty pretty well (though having an align to button for selected targets would be awesome)
    IE when you press C, your ship will automatically orient itself along the positive X axis with positive Z being "up".

Currently this is the one and only way to automatically orient yourself you any direction/axis. Because of this, there is no way to automatically orient your ship to any given side of a planet, making for some awkward (And for me, completely irritating) maneuvering to orient yourself semi-close to that of the side of the planet.

When out of a ship, doesn't aiming at an object and pressing X orientate you with the object? I'm pretty sure this works with ships but does it work with planets too? This would make travel between ship & planet a lot cleaner without digging holes in your ship!

Personally, I love the new planets. Massive improvement over the disc-worlds but they do still need some tweaking (like rendering in the whole outer surface first, rather than what ever is closest to the player)

Lag? not had any, though perhaps my laptop & desktop have enough grunt to deal with them.

My biggest issue, I want them bigger, though I do see the clear downsides to this!
    Nope. X, along with Z, just roll you left or right.

Ive not had much lag out of the ordinary, it just takes for-freakin-ever to generate the planets.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    There isn't any perfect solution for implementing planets but Devs had to choose the best one. Current "round" planets have imo best trade-off.

The issues You've mentioned are really tiny ones, and Schema probably would be working on 3 of them (hopefully we would get more aligning options) and 1 problem is already solved with feature to orientate astronaut the same way as ship using "space" key.

Planet islands were made by someone back in the old-forum days, i don't know if somebody re-uploaded the blueprints to the new site. These planets looked really neat but well, they didn't looked like planets but more like an islands. Plus many players asked for round planets, so here we are :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Much as i like the new ones compared to what we had before, they aren't without flaws. Huge lag/loading issues being the most severe. And yet we all still want bigger planets xD
    I mean, if it were possible it would be great. But that's not likely anytime soon.
    Other flaws, i don't mind much. Would be nice if the gaps between segments were smoother, sure, but on regular earth-like planets it generally ends up looking good anyway. Ice planets are kinda weird now however. Not that they ever looked not weird.
    Orientation is a glitchy and unfinished feature at the moment. I'm sure it'll get fixed and upgraded eventually.
    Personally i like the island idea as well. Still, round planets are much better if done properly. Give it time and see how it turns out i guess.

Reaction score
    Ill be straight up here. I flat out do not like the new planets.

I can see their appeal, and I do agree they are better then the oreos we had before, but they just don't sit well with me.

My main beef with them is there is no way to snap your ships orientation to a particular side of the planet. It annoys me to no end when I can not orient myself to align with something. And no, rotating myself is not the same thing. I've already written a thread about ship orientation.

Secondly. Albiet a bug, but the player does not orient themselves to the gravity of the planet when you exit a ship until you are actually over the land of the planet itself. This makes it nearly impossible for me to get out of some of my ships without having to break a hole.

Thirdly, the gaps between sides, IMHO, are down right ugly.

Lastly, the planets take way too long to generate. Yeah yeah, I know why they take longer, more blocks, yadda yadda, but I don't feel like the increased generation time (Several minutes just to mostly generate a planet) is an acceptable trade-off for what we had before.

Personally, I would much prefer giant island looking planets, much like this. I just really feel like the current planets don't work well with the rest of the game, and I have been avoiding planets for these reasons. I don't have the desire to go anywhere near them ever again.

Alas, this thread is probably against popular opinion and doomed to be pushed back to the void of the forums before tomorrow. Anyhoo, that is just my take on the new planets.
    if the new planets get drastically improved/upgraded/fixed then I can say that it will be the best, it has potential.. but until then I am avoiding them aswell

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    There isn't any perfect solution for implementing planets but Devs had to choose the best one. Current "round" planets have imo best trade-off.

The issues You've mentioned are really tiny ones, and Schema probably would be working on 3 of them (hopefully we would get more aligning options) and 1 problem is already solved with feature to orientate astronaut the same way as ship using "space" key.

Planet islands were made by someone back in the old-forum days, i don't know if somebody re-uploaded the blueprints to the new site. These planets looked really neat but well, they didn't looked like planets but more like an islands. Plus many players asked for round planets, so here we are :)
    Agreed, and I couldn't find them on the new site (admittedly I haven't looked closely, so they may be hiding somewhere) But what is described in the OP, the planet-islands, were indeed on the old site HERE.

TpYxaEs.png
    This one was made by the Username: Richarod

Reaction score
    I was against anything "round" in the first place, but the dodecahedrons turned out better than I expected, except the huge performance issues. While the old cookie planets didn't look all that well, this wasn't an issue of the general concept, but only of terrain generation (much like the terrain on the new planets does look weird, too :D ).
    *still weeping after cookies*

Reaction score

The best solution for non-disk planets would be cubes, given the game is made of cubes. For me, the D10 planets do not have the best trade-offs. But I digress.

The issues may be tiny from a technical standpoint, but for me, they kill any and all desire to have anything to do with planets. I would rather actively avoid planets completely because of my listed reasons then deal with them on any level. So for me, that is half the game that I don't want anything to do with.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    The best solution for non-disk planets would be cubes, given the game is made of cubes.
    That would be correct, if there wouldn't be gravity. The 90° angle is just too much for gravity to turn within a very limited space, without causing problems. Being unable to go to another side of the cube without a ship, that can outrun gravity, e.g.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Honestly, the only reason i like new planets is that you can blow them up (even if its bugged right now)

Also you shouldn't be able to blow up cores with a homebase segment on the planet, interestingly enough, the only planet i have been able to blow up is a homebase.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Latest dev builds feature some serious chunk loading optimizations (for me at least), so I think that the performance issue won't stay for long.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Seriously. When we had the disk planets ppl wanted something more round. Now that we have something more round ppl want the old planets back.

Can't we be happy that the dev r listening to us. i joined this game cuz the Minecraft community had become so cynical and the devs just seemed to do what they wanted. I would hate for this game to turn into that

I love the new planets. Every time i see them I'm in awe. I agree that it takes forever for them to load but thats a performance related issue and i tend to disregard performance related issues cuz they can always be reworked and as well it depends on your comp. Minecraft always required a pretty beefy comp to play on the normal render distance.

all in all they have their problems but in the long run it was the right decision. besides I'm sure that in the future the devs will allow u to bring the old planets back instead of the current ones. what with customization and everything

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The only thing I don't like about the planets is that sometimes their terrain is screwed up, like sometimes I see massive random elevations that don't make sense, or massive random depressions which neither make any sense. Otherwise I really like the general concept, and if you are having framerate issues lower the maxdrawsegments, because there is no point having it so high that you load the parts of the planet you can't even see.

Reactions: Ithirahad