Who else doesn't like the new planets?

Reaction score
    Take the disk planets, throw all your proposed improvements at them and I'll never complain.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm, being very new to the game I'm obviously from after the flat planet versions. I must say I actually like the current concept. As for lag that seems to be dependent on the type and size too.

I first landed on a small purple one with a faint sun that didn't have any lag at all. Later I spotted a, what one could call, an earth like specimen, and that lagged a lot initially, probably because of the vegetation like trees and lots of grasses and flowers. Also I feel it was bigger in size then the barren purple one, so more blocks to render. After all blocks are rendered initially there's no lag anymore, it's just during the transition.

What was most different between the two was that the earth like planet rendered first its core, dark rock with lava streaks through it and then when getting closer the top soil gradually filled in. There's certainly some room for some optimization there, although I can remember Minecraft has the same problem sometimes when caves under the top soil are very complex.

Greets,

Jan

Last edited:
    Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    Ideally, C should orientate you to the gravity field of a planet segment if you hit it while in said gravity field... Also, how the heck are bases on the old planets any more "realistic" than ones on the new planets?
    But what if I want to orient my ship while in orbit? My main issues stem from the extremely limited ability to orient one's ship automatically.

ugly polygons? sir? they are beautiful ! :) just a small optimization and voila!
    I think they are very ugly. The gaps between sides are borderline eye-sores for me. Not to mention the loading of planets is painfully slow. Nothing about them appeals to me at all.

Reaction score
    Want to start an email campaign to have a planet type selector in the server config file? That's better than one group telling another what they can't have.

Reactions: Ghent96
    Reaction score
    Id rather not get into something like that. The game is not mine to dictate its development, and it would feel wrong to try and actively force them to change how they want the game to be. I am just voicing my opinion of the game's development. If nothing changes, well, then it doesn't change.

Reaction score
    It seems to me that they are listening and that's what the players like the most about the development process; their input has value to the programmers.

Reaction score
    to be totally honest i think all the diffrent planet types have their ups and downs. personally i dont see why there cant be many diffrent planet types! who says the starmade universe has to be as uniform as ours? from dodecahedrons to gian floating continets (oreos) and space mountinas and cube planets! it would make the universe jsut that much more diverse and everyone wins :p

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I guess cubes are not that hard to implement after the ship's gravity changes.
    But I think that is something for the late development stage.

I want to see access to random build features to allow you changing the planet without making it look unnatural.
    Also allowing access to terrain in ships more easily.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I was against anything "round" in the first place, but the dodecahedrons turned out better than I expected, except the huge performance issues. While the old cookie planets didn't look all that well, this wasn't an issue of the general concept, but only of terrain generation (much like the terrain on the new planets does look weird, too :D ).
    *still weeping after cookies*
    ...so... Schema if you also don't like the new dodecahedron planets, and there's huge performance issues... and this thread has more likes than dislikes... why don't we just go back to the old cookie planets? They were in most all arguable, logical reasons, better for players and the game, as other previous threads have evidenced. We've all tried it for a couple months, and it's just not working out.

PS - it also might be an easier solution to plex lifters and gravity issues also ;)
    https://plus.google.com/113100765140741386497/posts/8TuNdSGZK3X - plex lifter bug

Reaction score
    ...so... Schema if you also don't like the new dodecahedron planets, and there's huge performance issues... and this thread has more likes than dislikes... why don't we just go back to the old cookie planets? They were in most all arguable, logical reasons, better for players and the game, as other previous threads have evidenced. We've all tried it for a couple months, and it's just not working out.
    Because I'm not the developer of this game, which would be schema.

The bug you mentioned will be fixed in the next public release.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

PS - it also might be an easier solution to plex lifters and gravity issues also ;)
    https://plus.google.com/113100765140741386497/posts/8TuNdSGZK3X - plex lifter bug
    I like the new planets. I just think that planets which are big enough to have interesting things on their segments are too laggy currently. Once that is fixed, I am not against these.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score

Because there are more people who like or don't care about the new planets who haven't bothered clicking the thread because it doesn't appeal to them.

You're assuming that all players are looking at this thread.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I like the new planets. I just think that planets which are big enough to have interesting things on their segments are too laggy currently. Once that is fixed, I am not against these.
    My feelings exactly.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    YAAAAYY FINALLYYYYYY :D

...Now when does this hit live branch? Do we have to wait for him to finish the FTL system and everything first?

Reaction score
    If I can properly have my ship orient to them, then that would alleviate half of the problem I have with them.

Just to give you guys a heads up: Schema recently improved planet generation, it looks a lot better now.
    View attachment 3805 View attachment 3806
    Better, but IMO the edges are still bad.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    New planets are far better than previous, but still needs some tweaks (optimization is main problem imho). Also nice that Schema is working on planet generation, it looks now far better :)

Reaction score
    YAAAAYY FINALLYYYYYY :D

...Now when does this hit live branch? Do we have to wait for him to finish the FTL system and everything first?
    If I may take an educated guess: No. He fixed around 30 bugs in the last few days, it wouldn't make much sense to not release that before more features are added.

Better, but IMO the edges are still bad.
    This is hard to fix and not that much of importance, IMHO. I don't know if we even can expect a fix before beta stage (whenever that may be).

Edit: We have a new category on the bug tracker, "Universe generation". Anyone of you should be able to subscribe to the Atom feed, which should give you realtime updates when there's some new info out there.

Last edited: