Who else doesn't like the new planets?

Reaction score
    I dislike the new planets for all the above agreeing statements. Disk style planets integrate better into StarMade physics and the grid system. Orienting myself with "C" was very convienent and useful. The full-time universal gravity gave the disks a planetary feel and insured that there would be no random floating objects such as possible with artificial gravity. This made planetary bases practical and a bit realistic. Yes, the landscape was funky, but if I needed to escape the gravity for some reason all I had to do is step off the edge. I think that planetary style should be selectable in the server config. I like the random sizing feature for planets. Return of the disk planets and additional new terrains would make me happy.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Reverting to the disks after the crafting update would basically make planets pointless, as you might as well stay in asteroid sectors to know what you are salvaging.

They said the universe would be improved. I guess we'll have to wait untill then to be able to comment on this topic again.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I dislike the new planets for all the above agreeing statements. Disk style planets integrate better into StarMade physics and the grid system. Orienting myself with "C" was very convienent and useful. The full-time universal gravity gave the disks a planetary feel and insured that there would be no random floating objects such as possible with artificial gravity. This made planetary bases practical and a bit realistic. Yes, the landscape was funky, but if I needed to escape the gravity for some reason all I had to do is step off the edge. I think that planetary style should be selectable in the server config. I like the random sizing feature for planets. Return of the disk planets and additional new terrains would make me happy.
    Ideally, C should orientate you to the gravity field of a planet segment if you hit it while in said gravity field... Also, how the heck are bases on the old planets any more "realistic" than ones on the new planets?

Reaction score
    The "single plane" of the old planets seems more terrestrial than those ugly polygons. That's my observation anyway. You might not see it that way. What does crafting have to do with the shape of the planets?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Planets have a lot of segments. Each segment has two ores. If the old disks were to become the planets again, you would only have two ores per planet.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    ugly polygons? sir? they are beautiful ! :) just a small optimization and voila!

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Do you all disc-loving people even realize how much time Schema spent implementing the cool new dodecahedrowhatever planets? Why can't we just have a config option to turn it on/off?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like the new planets, but I also miss the continuous plane.

To have larger (non-laggy) ones:
    I would like planets to have less chunks to load. would like an option to reduce chunk count to 1 vertically (or dynamic loading of chunks below).
    But maybe it is just my hardware or missing optimization, dunno.​

Or just give planets a sand/water/ liquid-CO2 surface and make segments continents floating on it...

Re-enabling the ability to render huge planes and add canyons or other terrain-depth would be awesome :)

Reaction score
    I'd prefer double Oreos. One on top, another on the bottom. Most of the time my game runs at about 40-60 fps but when I approach a planet it drops down to 10 at most, more often its 1 FRAME PER SECOND
    It's even worse when I'm within the same galaxy of a planet and my framerate dies because it decided to load despite having no reason to.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'd prefer double Oreos. One on top, another on the bottom. Most of the time my game runs at about 40-60 fps but when I approach a planet it drops down to 10 at most, more often its 1 FRAME PER SECOND
    It's even worse when I'm within the same galaxy of a planet and my framerate dies because it decided to load despite having no reason to.
    One of the reasons behind the lag is that no matter how large sector size you have it'll still load any planets if they are in adjacent sector. Also, you can reduce planet sizes in the config file to avoid lag.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The planets can most likely easily be improved. In my opinion it is one of the best things in the game. A few things need to be changed to make them fun for everyone:
    1. Your view shouldn't be reset when gravity changes. It should be smooth and natural to go from one segment to the other, which brings my to:
    2. The gaps between segments. They shouldn't be there for obvious reasons.
    3. There shouldn't be huge hight differences. They are quite annoying to get up.
    4. The structures should spawn on a per core basis and not be cut in half.
    5. There should be more terrain details (better caves, canyons, cliffs, mountains, etc.), and there should be more and better structures.
    6. Day/night shouldn't depend completely on the sun and the universe, it should rather something that has timezones like by us (day/night at different times on different segments depending on where on the equatorial line the segment is. It should also just have a sun like in minecraft, but the sun should still look different on different planets.
    7. Planets take long to load.
    Now for the huge advantages:
    1. The gravity changes are awesome, don't deny it.
    2. You have a lot of resources on planets, and when the new rocks come to the planets too you won't have to go asteroid mining to get hull.
    3. They look better and less random than flat disks.
    4. You can't fall of them, which makes survival more fun (you need a core to get off).
    5. Planet bases are a way more viable option now.
    6. Combine all of the above with the new crafting system and you have a really nice basis for a new crafting survival adventure mode/gameplay style.
    What I think would make players happy:
    1. If the game would pre-generate multiple planets of each type, and when you got close to a planet, that planet would already have been generated, reducing the lag, and/or:
    2. If the planet would only load the visible blocks (top layer(s)) first, and then everything near you, reducing the stupid appearance of planets when they haven't been loaded.
    3. A way to load planets more efficiently with less lag.
    I have said this before but I will say it again, the devs know about all of these problems and they are thinking/implementing ways to reduce or even remove these problems. It is just a matter of time.

Reaction score
    Do you all disc-loving people even realize how much time Schema spent implementing the cool new dodecahedrowhatever planets? Why can't we just have a config option to turn it on/off?
    This is what Thomas Jetson said. And I know schema put work into it, but trust me there is an awful lot more work to do on it.

@tenk11kamikaza 'Small' optimaisation? They need gutting out and redoing. Smooth gravity transition, gaps filled, build block balancing, unable to build on whole planet (only one side) etc. The FPS thing need working on too.

Honestly if the planets get fixed (which it seems they will very soon) I'll be a convert to the Church of Round Planets (TM) because in all honesty I think the new planets look much nicer, but in my opinion they are difficult to build on...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    One way to please all these disk loving people (I'm partially one, I think the disks are quite nice, but not for planets, which is why I think that a way to solve this:) would be to have moons that are disk shaped. I really want for both to be in the game like this.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    One way to please all these disk loving people (I'm partially one, I think the disks are quite nice, but not for planets, which is why I think that a way to solve this:) would be to have moons that are disk shaped. I really want for both to be in the game like this.
    Noooo, that would feel a little inconsistant. I think we should just have an option in the config to allow people to choose what planets they want to generate in their universe.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why would it feel inconsistent? Once you've had a couple of moons you would find it really consistent.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I do. I'm just saying that dodecahedrons as planets and disks as moons is a consistence in itself.

Reaction score
    how to get disk planets in 3 easy steps
    1: start game
    2: find dodecahedron planet
    3: detonate said planet
    you now have twelve disks across several sectors, each with it's own gravity.
    if these disks are too small, increase the planet size in the config.