Where is the community?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I think you will also find that a lot more server have started to pop up, I have certainly noticed a proliferation of new servers in recent month, mostly in the form of small niche groups. I also also notices that players tend to have bout of playing starmade, returning when new updates arrive and then quickly leaving once they grow tired.

Overall I think the community is still strong, I however would love to see it grow and become more active, especially in the Steam domain were I think games like Space Engineers have really prospered due to the platform *hint workshop, community, mod integration*

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think the biggest problem until recently is that the game had stagnated a bit due to lack of new options.

I mean, sure, rails were a huge thing, but they take a lot of work to get up and running for even something as simple as a door, so a lot of people didn't really use them, and those that did didn't use them as much as they could have (so complex and prone to breaking for an automatic sliding door when an area sensor and a regular plex door did just as well).

Two things lately really changed that, IMO. Slabs and Cargo.

The difference slabs made in building and decorating was huge, a lot bigger than I would have expected. I'm still finding awesome new ways to use them (like 3/4 vertical slabs in walls to give them texture). And Cargo has meant pretty much everything has to be redesigned from the ground up.

That should be a good shot in the arm for a while, at least until we can get to crew that will provide even more possibilities.

Reaction score
    I think the biggest problem until recently is that the game had stagnated a bit due to lack of new options.

I mean, sure, rails were a huge thing, but they take a lot of work to get up and running for even something as simple as a door, so a lot of people didn't really use them, and those that did didn't use them as much as they could have (so complex and prone to breaking for an automatic sliding door when an area sensor and a regular plex door did just as well).

Two things lately really changed that, IMO. Slabs and Cargo.

The difference slabs made in building and decorating was huge, a lot bigger than I would have expected. I'm still finding awesome new ways to use them (like 3/4 vertical slabs in walls to give them texture). And Cargo has meant pretty much everything has to be redesigned from the ground up.

That should be a good shot in the arm for a while, at least until we can get to crew that will provide even more possibilities.

I think the NPC crews could set SM apart from the other games out there. I really see a massive change in SM and I believe it has the chance to experience some revival.

On a completely different note....... Bro your signature quote.... DUNE ftw lol well played!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    As for me, I've been lurking around in single player for the past two-ish years. Currently I'm looking into the Shattered Skies server to try out the multiplayer deal. The only thing that has been keeping me from playing as much as I'd like is lack of time, not interest.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    There tends to be a number of trends when it comes to people games and the internet.
    When it comes to games in general things on the internet if a person finds they don't like it they seldom return. Some will but the vast majority do not. When I say vast majority I mean upwards of 80%.
    So having a game or website on the internet that is polished out fairly well to start counts a lot. Sure you can be in Alpha as this game but most people will not put up with the bugs and constant changes to the game play.
    While online play is great in my book most people want a game they can also play alone or with poor internet. Just think 2.1 million people still use AOL dialup. There are countless people in areas like where my parents live Engelhard NC that have very bad or no internet at all. In places like that you are paying out the nose for download because you are paying per the bit. My sister has literally that type of service but what can you do when no other company is available. Hers is through a satellite dish.

If this game comes back up it will be after they get a real single player experience going and polish it up some and stabilize it to some reasonable degree. The biggest thing I learned about people when it comes to making games people are hoarders and collectors. Its a form of competition to see who can accumulate the most or best stuff. If you build that into a game it will work. If you screw with that dynamic and cost them the items they get upset. Just look at how many simple card games are made. I was looking at one game recently was raking in 48 million a day.

There is another factor. First come first serve. People will bitch like hell about something but if for the most part it works they won't go to something else. They will go to games simply to try them but if they have most their friends playing another game there they will stay or if they have an establish community they are part of same goes.

So hope they can pull through this and get the momentum back.