What's with the pirate station 'tentacles?'

resba

administrator
    Reaction score
    Hi please stay on topic. Claru MrNature72

This isn't the offtopic forum, so lets try to stay on topic!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Is it more likely to be natural outgrowths or an asteroid? As far as the pirate tendrils go?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Honestly it seems more like a luminescent space-version of the purple planet tentacles. I suspect that in fact the tentacles colonized the station when spores were attracted to poorly maintained reactor systems. The growths breached the station hulls, resulting in spore infestation in the pirates who were squatting in them. The spores caused the pirates to become paranoid, delusional, and completely insane.

Forced to defend their trading outposts against the onslaught of insane pirates, the Schemadyne Trading Corporation discovered that the matter receivers in their shops could be converted into an EM field generator that would cause a perception gap in the spore-pirate's senses. However, this meant the matter receivers no longer worked as designed, and that meant that shops are never stocked.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I just assumed the pirates were awful builders.
    I mean, look at their ship of choice.

Reaction score
    Some alien-like organism caught hold of the pirate base. The tentacles could be heat-seeking to warn their species of potential threats.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Noooooooo.

You have it all wrong. The breadnought is a ship that has been reportedly seen in multiple quadrants of the galaxy.

However, all the photographs that have been gathered seem pixelated or foggy (the ship seems to distort visible light around it). Every attempt at approaching the ship has ended up with the ship vanishing (at a distance of 4.321 sectors EVERY SINGLE TIME). No hostile actions have been reported by the breadnought as of yet. MrNature72

WarSong was one of the first to sight the ship (or was it pholo?)

Reactions: Lecic

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    As for the pirate stations, go give the logs a read. It'd pretty apparent that something went terribly wrong with their experiments. From reading the logs I'd say that specimens were brought back from the purple alien planets and ended up infesting the stations, leaving only the automated turrets as defense.

This may also be why the pirates defend the stations so intensly, they are trying to discover a use of those purple tentacle/vines as biological weapons. Imagine injecting that into an enemy ship? It would blow up from the inside!

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I think that the pirates might be the good guys when it comes to stations.

That's why they core drill - they're trying to keep your ship relatively intact so they can use it to keep the monsters at bay. :P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It seems more plausible to me for the "tentacles" to be some sort of growth. Perhaps some sort of space-fungus that feeds off of radiation and heat?

This would fit in line with the typical stereotype of pirates: the slovenly, unclean, irresponsible rogue. They wouldn't care enough about their station to keep it clean of this fungus. And besides, it DOES provide a decent blast shield in some respects.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    I actually like that there's not an established explanation... it lets us use our own imagination to shape each server into something unique ^_^

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I actually like that there's not an established explanation... it lets us use our own imagination to shape each server into something unique ^_^
    Exactly :D . The real explanation is probably closer along the lines of: schema messing around with the station procedural generation and leaving it that way because it looked cool.

Reaction score
    If it's alien tentacles from purple drank planets, then shouldn't it be made out of alien top stuff/vine stuff?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    ye the only problem I have with all your arguments for it is that the tentacles are made of hull pieces, this confused me the first time I salvaged a pirate station

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah... IMO the tentacles should either be removed or replaced with more tentacle-y tentacles made from alien vine stuff.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Maybe the tentacles ARE the pirates. Some sort of intelligent space fungus that infest stations and ships and take controll over the systems by 'growing into them '.

Reaction score
    If you look closely, you can see pillars in very much like the one in those empty stations. I think that they took over the stations and added a centrifuge and other things (out of pure flashy, of course) and that, pirates are, in fact, a fungus. Seriously, think about it. You never see one of them, because they grow inside the ship! They don't have a logo, because they don't need one, they're a fungus!

The tentacles? I think those are large pirates. These ones, when broken open, release spores. The automated turrets, by the way, are defending the loot. The ones on planets are a non-sapient subspecies.

Reaction score
    If you look closely, you can see pillars in very much like the one in those empty stations. I think that they took over the stations and added a centrifuge and other things (out of pure flashy, of course) and that, pirates are, in fact, a fungus. Seriously, think about it. You never see one of them, because they grow inside the ship! They don't have a logo, because they don't need one, they're a fungus!

The tentacles? I think those are large pirates. These ones, when broken open, release spores. The automated turrets, by the way, are defending the loot. The ones on planets are a non-sapient subspecies.
    I like the idea of the Pirates not being generic raiders, but instead a heartless sentiment alien fungus. It would be a nice twist of events in an otherwise cliche trope. Agree with you Ithirahad they should be made outta vine stuff. If we ask nicely we might get it made canon...

BTW if anyone wants to see the TV Tropes page, its here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/Starmade

And if anyone wants to update it along with the Wiki which also need lots of work then feel free *HINT HINT*
    Yes I am going to do some stuff myself as well. I'm not THAT lazy.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    These darn newbies and their lack of knowledge on the mysterious Breadnaught.