What's with the pirate station 'tentacles?'

Reaction score
    First time I encountered a pirate station (before getting slaughtered) I wondered what was with the weird purple/blue/ice crystal constructions were. Believe it or not, this game already has a Tv Tropes page that describes them as tentacles.

It might just be nothing, but could we be seeing a possible expansion to the pirates in the future based on this? Or is it based on a cancelled enemy type pre-alpha?

What do you think they are?

Reactions: Mariux

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    It's something procedurally generated for each station to make them unique. The tentacles show up on purple alien biome planets. Tho similar to the 'growths' on the pirate stations they only appear on the alien biome worlds, exclude ice crystals in their make up and look decidedly more tentacle like. The pirate station growths might be of similar nature and simply appear differently due to zero g conditions.

I was discussing this with some other folks whom names I won't mention. The idea was proposed that experimentation with Yholes and Yhole Nucleus as fuels might be the cause of the odd tumor like growths on pirate bases.

Personally I suspect something more sinister. I expect that Schemadyne or Dr. Plex leaked Yhole fuel cell technologies to the pirates to see their affects in zero gravity environments, by passing government oversight. They may have analyzed data stolen from the pirates about negative side effects from proximity to the reactors or fuel cells. This would have accelerated their research dramatically and brought the tech to market much faster.

The commercial quality reactors you find are perfectly safe. However I have yet to see any documentation on how the companies behind the research managed to find willing participants in any tests. And furthermore no test data or papers based on the related theories have appeared for peer review. It may be that the pirates were unknowing guinea pigs and unwilling participants after the fact. I have yet to see any living personnel on any of the afflicted stations. The involved government bodies and the corporate sector may have covered it all up.

Reaction score
    I was discussing this with some other folks whom names I won't mention. The idea was proposed that experimentation with Yholes and Yhole Nucleus as fuels might be the cause of the odd tumor like growths on pirate bases.

Personally I suspect something more sinister. I expect that Schemadyne or Dr. Plex leaked Yhole fuel cell technologies to the pirates to see their affects in zero gravity environments, by passing government oversight. They may have analyzed data stolen from the pirates about negative side effects from proximity to the reactors or fuel cells. This would have accelerated their research dramatically and brought the tech to market much faster.

The commercial quality reactors you find are perfectly safe. However I have yet to see any documentation on how the companies behind the research managed to find willing participants in any tests. And furthermore no test data or papers based on the related theories have appeared for peer review. It may be that the pirates were unknowing guinea pigs and unwilling participants after the fact. I have yet to see any living personnel on any of the afflicted stations. The involved government bodies and the corporate sector may have covered it all up.
    Whoa, Starmade might have a Firefly type story?

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Starmade is like an Ogre. It has LAYERS. Just as you think you get the big picture.. someone hits zoom again.

Reaction score
    Or a giant, biological creature simply called the breadnaught due to it's fairly yeast-like consistency.

Or maybe the Breadnaught is a virus, and is what's growing around the stations. The pirates aren't pirates, they're inftected with a sentient, sociopath, monomaniacal space-virus.

THE OPTIONS ARE LIMITLESS.

Reaction score
    [QUOTE="MrNature72, post: 5809, member: 312230
    That makes even less sense

Reaction score
    [QUOTE="MrNature72, post: 5809, member: 312230
    That makes even less sense
    Honestly I'm just trying to confuse my way out of depression.

No but seriously, I have no idea what the tentacles were. I never thought they were very pirate-like.

Crashed ships, mines, and debris would be much more pirate-y

Reaction score
    Honestly I'm just trying to confuse my way out of depression.

No but seriously, I have no idea what the tentacles were. I never thought they were very pirate-like.

Crashed ships, mines, and debris would be much more pirate-y
    I actually always thought it was a base built into an asteroid. That's about the end of my thought process with it.

Why purple?

Because its more awesome that way.

I always did like how the pirate stations used different colored base hulls for their construction.

Reaction score
    It is too late! >:U

For every moment that passes which you delay is another moment stolen from what could have been...

YOUR DESTINY

and is another moment added to the void which is my heart.

Already your night has frittered away...

Another moment of sweet victory...

for the Void.