What is the largest know ship ever made?

Nuclear Doughnut

A Radioactive Pastry
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    So do we have a count of the Largest Starmade Ship yet (Block Count)?

This is my WIP for almost a year now after waiting to buy a new PC to continue work on it. I'm curious on block counts for people...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

This is my WIP for almost a year now after waiting to buy a new PC to continue work on it. I'm curious on block counts for people...
    1: What is that? D:
    2: Can we see a size comparison between that and a planet.

Nuclear Doughnut

A Radioactive Pastry
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    What is that? That is my Capital ship. WIP none of the systems are finished and the hull plating isn't complete. (Obviously).

Uh No. All pertinent information is in the upper left hand corner.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold

You should add ion, 4 billion effective shielding couldn't hurt :D

And holy fuck 8 million oldmass D:

Nuclear Doughnut

A Radioactive Pastry
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I'm afraid to know how much power that will need >.> I'll have to add moar power... 200 Mil for shield regen... 95 mil for Jump Inhibitors... left 60 ish mil for weapons

Reaction score
    I imagine that Valhalla would look pretty in there with those two as well. As Keptick alluded to in an earlier post, you would kind of need to define what a "ship" actually is. I could go out right now and build a 5KM long block of components surrounded by some armor and call it a ship I suppose but who really wants to troll about the galaxy in a Vogon constructor? Whether a replica or an original design I would have to think that unless some esthetic is applied then all you really have is a space brick. I don't recall seeing any space bricks in the trailer for the game at any rate.
    Aesthetics on the outside? Or on the inside?

Reaction score
    I have a video showing the progress of a big one on my Youtube account "Starmade: Breaking Limits - UPDATE (50,000,000+ Blocks!!)"
    It's not even close to being done but it's currently at 50 million blocks. It was at 70 million before I took out a huge amount of shields to make the video.

The final version of the ship is estimated to be just under 4000 meters long, 1435 meters high and 400 meters wide.

Nuclear Doughnut

A Radioactive Pastry
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I can guarentee your PC will start to crap out at about 90-95 million blocks. I hit 105 Million and it's slowed my PC down to a crawl with 32 gb of ram.

Reaction score
    I can guarentee your PC will start to crap out at about 90-95 million blocks. I hit 105 Million and it's slowed my PC down to a crawl with 32 gb of ram.
    Sadly that's what I'm seeing with this ship. I was hoping that maybe someone would know a work around but it seems like I'll have to put this on hold... again.

Btw 32 gb of ram!!? That's insane! :eek:

Nuclear Doughnut

A Radioactive Pastry
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Aye Hypo the issue hits a matter of even a top of the line computer and a high end server working together and being unable to complete the projects of that magnitude. Between the server and the computer I have 88GB of ram available for SM. 56gb server side and 32gb client side.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Aye Hypo the issue hits a matter of even a top of the line computer and a high end server working together and being unable to complete the projects of that magnitude. Between the server and the computer I have 88GB of ram available for SM. 56gb server side and 32gb client side.
    Tbh, the bottleneck is most likely the CPU or GPU, not the ram. If I were to guess I'd say that the game itself is bottlenecking, no matter how powerful the hardware you're using is.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I've never tried to go above 1500m before but I would love to try. Building a 2000m plus ship would be fun . I love how small the pirates looked compared to my 500ms and 900m capital ships so I can only imagine what they would look like compared to a 2 to 3000m ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Im planning on a few Battlestars or even a station that is larger than a sector long.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Im planning on a few Battlestars or even a station that is larger than a sector long.
    sector size can be changed, saying that its larger than a sector doesnt give us any idea of how big it will be

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    sector size can be changed, saying that its larger than a sector doesnt give us any idea of how big it will be
    Default sector size, my apologies. Don't know exact dimensions yet. Though it's nowhere near a "largest ship" entry, I'm just throwing it out there. My only thing with uuber long ships is what happens if they extend over the default sector size, how does the system cope with that?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    once in single player i was making a ship as big as 2 sectors...it was going to carry dreadnoughts and flagships

but then i stopped building it because i realized that i would never be able to remake it online

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've been working on a recreation of Rama, of which a shell has already been posted on the dock, and I can confirm from many hours of searching that it is the largest ship up for download on the dock (2.7km). When I finally get it done it'll be the largest completed ship on the dock, beating out the Omega Ragnarov, the next in line. I'm also going for largest station on the dock (6km).

More along the lines of a curiosity and an experiment towards discovering the limits of StarMade, I once build a ship that was 21.7km in length, 1m in width and height. Aside from some minor rendering issues with slabs, wedges, and transparent blocks, it didn't lag very much. Since it was a completely useless experiment, I won't be releasing it. But from this test I can guess that lag has more to do with block count than dimensions. Another interesting experiment that I undertook was when I tried (and failed) to build a 1:1 Death Star 1, revealing that there is a limit to dimensions, and that they lie around the 30km mark.

As a final note, I'd say that for ships, 3 km is probably the largest a reasonable ship can go. Any larger and it will probably require more than the average system components to be able to be played with *cough* 32 GB of Ram *cough*. As far as stations, I'd say around 10 km, but my knowledge of the limits of stations is extremely limited unfortunately. Any additional information I can gather I can post here.

Reaction score
    ...Shit Im scared now. I was thinking of Building a 1:1 of The Corsair (edit: 2200m*550m*700m) from Infinite Space but let me tell you, 8 gigs of ram is a sad problem to have. Im also pretty shit at building stuff. Im scared that Im gonna screw this up and leave it sittingat 5% done forever.

Last edited: