What do people think is most important for the game now

What does this game need to improve the most?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I want more items that can only be placed on stations or planets and faction home base to b destroy able but they receive twice as much shield and power regeneration. ships docked or landed on the station/planet should be protected by the station's shield.

Reaction score
    What the game needs is the development roadmap to be posted. It's hard to get hyped up about features that we don't even know exist until release day.
    Agree. Or, at least some kind of frequently-updated dev blog.

Reaction score
    Fair enough, maybe I misspoke earlier. Currently there is a lot of work to be done in the early game, a lot of preperations when you start a new, a lot of ground work to be made, which is great. Afterwards is a transition phase when you simply grow more and more, to be left with a lacking endgame where everyone is docked and unwilling to do anything, no player interaction.

Keep the early hardships, add more options, not by blocks, but by meaningful player interaction. Same which mid game when you basically sit and do nothing waiting to grow to be one of those big guys which really have nothing to do but build ships as all challenge and consequence is removed. I wouldnt wish to impose limitations, I wish the game to be more alive and choices meaningful.
    I'm sold. May I join your server? :)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This game needs a easier configuration ability

"(a mult b) pow c mult d" is nice to compute, but hard to understand for peoples.
    Peoples want to enter xX in:
    • aT mass * %thrusters == aE efficiency (for cores + a few blocks)
    • bT mass * %thrusters == bE efficiency (for medium ships)
    • cT mass * %thrusters == cE efficiency (for titans)
    Then they want to see a graph showing them 2 lines for maybe 5% and 90% thrusters with x=mass, y=efficiency
    If they are happy, they want it being translated into "(a mult b) pow c mult d" for them (and a wiki-entry).

The game needs a better frame-rate for large objects. Maybe by rendering only surface blocks or only top-y chunks or generating a preview-object from the blueprint / unmodified object with a lazy update when CPU-resources are available.

It needs more compact mirrored logic like
    • 5 bit logic blocks by sacrificing irrelevant orientation (similar to resource-injection in rock-blocks)
      • enabling better game-logic interface (configuration for PCs: 1 bit fire, 2 bitrepeat until disabled, ...)
      • serial link of clock+4 bits (once remote access is implemented)
      • more compact mirrored logic
    • terminal/display blocks (a) activating linked display blocks (b) if b.text contains a.text
      • 100-letter passwords without 1000 logic blocks
      • faction security
      • shrinks logic from 1000+ blocks to just a few -> more memory efficient and easier but not making bit-logic redundant
    With mirrored I mean groups of logic blocks which have to repeat themselves over and over again.

A common place to meet
    • Some regenerative-fuel nebulae
    • Blocks which are only sold by admin-shops at certain locations
    Maybe we have this already:
    A sector where NEWs (such as destroyed or scouted stations) can be posted on a wall of display blocks
    - managed by a reporter or if you report an enemy faction's home on some display block only editable by you
    ( public activation blocks -> password protected door -> access to display blocks behind glass on admin-owned stations )​

BTW-Joke: Why does my firefox try to auto-correct "admin-shops" into "rain-shadows"?

And OFC a way to separate combat-thrust from travel-thrust (like FTL does)

Reaction score
    I was just wondering, what does the community think that this game really needs as of now, and what aspect of the game the devs should be working on?
    Number 1 on my list would have to be ; fix whatever it is that continues to eat memory its as if it is being compounded and is getting out of hand

2. Big complaint is not being able to have directional docking. Hate always having to have a docked ship only pointed towards the front of ship/station

3. Either make the planets round or go back to the cookies planets. Least you could build a home base all over them not like the crazy gravity situation on the current ones.

4. Fix the weapons. They all shouldn't fire only 1000 km

5. Too many planets in one area really causes lag and might be the reason so many people complain of laggy games

6. Keep up the hard work Dev's your going in the right direction for a great game

7. The quests you can do for the NPC shops need to be implemented sooner rather that later to give us goal to work towards

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    Number 1 on my list would have to be ; fix whatever it is that continues to eat memory its as if it is being compounded and is getting out of hand

2. Big complaint is not being able to have directional docking. Hate always having to have a docked ship only pointed towards the front of ship/station

3. Either make the planets round or go back to the cookies planets. Least you could build a home base all over them not like the crazy gravity situation on the current ones.

4. Fix the weapons. They all shouldn't fire only 1000 km

5. Too many planets in one area really causes lag and might be the reason so many people complain of laggy games

6. Keep up the hard work Dev's your going in the right direction for a great game

7. The quests you can do for the NPC shops need to be implemented sooner rather that later to give us goal to work towards
    I agree with most of your ideas.
    But 3. schema is fixing up planet generation. back in the old thread where dodecahedron planets were only a concept 95% people showed nothing but support. I have a feeling that is not going to change.

Reaction score
    @BlackEyez I agree with everything you said except for #7. I don't support the use of NPCs and AI.
    schema is fixing up planet generation. back in the old thread where dodecahedron planets were only a concept 95% people showed nothing but support. I have a feeling that is not going to change.
    Now that the 95% have seen them, do they still like them? I'm not so sure.

Reaction score
    I chose other because I would like to see NPC's filling cities and space stations. Creatures unique to each planet type. To me, it would breath some life to the universe.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    @BlackEyez I agree with everything you said except for #7. I don't support the use of NPCs and AI.

Now that the 95% have seen them, do they still like them? I'm not so sure.
    a) I didn't even thought about AI while writing my post above, but that doesn't matter as I think most of this is close-to-release-stuff anyway.

b) I try to support not by bug-fixing but by pointing out peoples weak parts in suggestions and to find the perfect (for me) balance, hoping it provides schema with a good or a more refined idea from time to time. ;)

Reaction score
    I selected better universe, and other.. so here's my other..

More 'survival' aspects to the game, such as fuel, life support, etc etc

I personally would like a little bit of upkeep type things to keep the game challenging

Reaction score
    I would like to see NPC's filling cities and space stations. Creatures unique to each planet type. To me, it would breath some life to the universe.
    By looking at the stats of some of the servers out there they would only have NPCs most of the time, but they would have a nice, lived-in universe.
    More 'survival' aspects to the game, such as fuel, life support, etc etc
    I personally would like a little bit of upkeep type things to keep the game challenging
    There's a way to do that now without new software, it involves players and a different gameplay style.

Reaction score
    By looking at the stats of some of the servers out there they would only have NPCs most of the time, but they would have a nice, lived-in universe.
    There's a way to do that now without new software, it involves players and a different gameplay style.
    I don't do servers. How would you set up fuel and life support? This will go off topic. Do I private message the person or start a new thread?

Reaction score
    I voted with the majority on the two most popular issues. They seemed to me to be the best choices for improvement.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Personally I think that the game needs a better PvP experience. There really isn't any reason for people to engage with each other. We build these awesome ships and bases that go unused most of the time. There is no sense of competition in this game. That is what it needs the most. The rest is just mechanics and play style adjustments. It's not enough to build a massive ship. I want to use it, and I want a reason to use it. I want somebody to try and take it from me. I want to solve problems and face situations that I can't in other games. I want to negotiate with other factions, form and break alliances. I want to play the hero, the villain, and the unknown soldier. I want all of this to be an integral part of the game. Until competition is introduced it is just a glorified sandbox.

Factions are boring because they can't claim ground or gain any sort of tactical advantage over single players or other factions. There really isnt a reason to take more than one world. I would even argue that this should come before balancing the game. If nobody competes, then it is impossible to measure balance. A simple scoring system may even work. Factions and players would be awarded points based on enemies destroyed, planets claimed, and resources mined. This is really just a first order approximation such that people have bragging rights. The game needs competition, regardless of how it is produced.

Reactions: Iocanthos and kupu
    Reaction score
    @Neon_42 You have hit so many points on target that your post was refreshing to read. Gameplay and roleplay can solve some of the problems you've mentioned. The biggest factor is burnout caused by the pointless way the game is usually played. The things needed to keep the game interesting can't be written in by any programmer. The players must craft the game experience.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The things needed to keep the game interesting can't be written in by any programmer. The players must craft the game experience.
    While mostly true, why do we not play War-hammer with role-playing humans on a football-field?

Computers are awesome, because you can copy&paste. Because it is cheap to get anything you have once more then once.

And because you can enter/leave/communicate faster (not with our non-faction-group channel less chat :p)

Reaction score
    I understand that computers make games like StarMade possible. StarMade offers so many possibilities RIGHT NOW but only a few are being used by the many.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    True.
    But most peoples expect awesome graphics and no lags near planets, some cool features ...

Also: very few players are willing to play a game with broken/changing balance

Biggest downsides (when compared to Space Engineers) are:
    1. block size
    2. multi-block textures
    3. missing rotors/pistons (which also work on sips)
    4. remote control (also for AI)
    5. large size of logic blocks to get an interesting circuit (password checks are 100-times as big as a plex door)
    , but I know these things are their only true advantage and it will get better over time with our feedback and with schemas effort.
    If Space Engineers and MineCraft wouldn't exist, StarMade would boom.