What Creatures/Aliens and other life forms would you like to see?

D

Deleted member 301635

We need some kind of Xeelee equivalent(mysterious, ancient, amazing tech, have never been seen in person by anything, randomly build gigantic structures).

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    So what you guys are saying is:

You want space whales.
    These space whales will feed off of dust clouds of alcohol.
    The whales will then produce hydrocarbons, which could then be sold at a shop.
    The dust clouds are sentient because the electromagnetically charged dust particles in them act as a brain.
    The dust clouds also feed off of asteroids and ships.
    If a ship were to attack a dust cloud, it would turn solid and try to attack it back.

Two questions:

1. How would this be implemented?
    2. Do you guys have any idea how insane this sounds? lol
    Space whales wouldn’t actually eat anything, and would drop a few mineral blocks on death. I'm hoping people don’t think i want a literal blue whale though.... just a large space-faring animal.

Gas clouds would just be a particle effect that does damage similar to the system the sun already uses. If they could go solid it could just cement into an asteroid with a certain predefined speed towards your ship, we know collision is coming.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Space whales wouldn’t actually eat anything, and would drop a few mineral blocks on death. I'm hoping people don’t think i want a literal blue whale though.... just a large space-faring animal.

Gas clouds would just be a particle effect that does damage similar to the system the sun already uses. If they could go solid it could just cement into an asteroid with a certain predefined speed towards your ship, we know collision is coming.
    Or wee could have space whales and leviathan that feed off of plant matter that grows on asteroids.

Reaction score
    There was an idea for a sorta creep that would infest planets a while back. I think that it would be a cool idea that there would be a certain block it would make that if broken would release several small, fast critters; similar to silverfish in Minecraft.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There was an idea for a sorta creep that would infest planets a while back. I think that it would be a cool idea that there would be a certain block it would make that if broken would release several small, fast critters; similar to silverfish in Minecraft.
    Sounds like fun, as long as they can't spread to other planets (without hitching a ride) and can't burrow into your ship. They could, however, try and get into your ship and hide in corners, so you can take them to other planets to infest.

Reactions: Darth Cestual
    Reaction score
    Sounds like fun, as long as they can't spread to other planets (without hitching a ride) and can't burrow into your ship. They could, however, try and get into your ship and hide in corners, so you can take them to other planets to infest.
    While exactly how it could be implemented effectively is a difficult matter (as it's a reasonably complex action to perform), I've always liked the idea of things that could get aboard your ship if you leave the doors open and, if there's a place for them to go that is hidden away, hide and multiply. Not something particularly hard to kill, per se, but something that's at least a pest and minor danger in groups or large numbers. Of course, none of these things would be hard-coded one-type Fauna. Theoretically, they would be subject to the same randomization/procedural variation as everything else, just be the ones that demonstrate these kinds of infestation behavior. (Among other behaviors they might display.) If you got unlucky, you might actually get something pretty deadly....

Keep tossing the ideas back and forth, everyone. I love watching all the brainstorming and fascinating ideas, whether they could be implemented or not. (Some things could be implemented, but the more intricate features would need to be cut out due to not being feasible or scalable. Still, the creative process often involves aiming high and then bringing the ideas back down to something doable.) Even if I don't post for a little while, I'm still actively watching this thread. :)

While infestation is a fun topic, it's a complex concept. At first, things will need to be much simpler. I'm curious: what kinds of Fauna would you like to see in regards to different environmental conditions? (An ice planet, a desert planet, a planet teeming with life, an arid planet, a humid, wet planet (I don't mean a water planet), a planet with almost no (or absolutely no) atmosphere....) Fauna that have adapted to either the kinds of planets already in StarMade or other kinds of environments that aren't too strange of ideas. (Don't take the list of planet types above as plans for StarMade; they are just typical environmental/biome concepts.)

What we do know is a good place to start for creating what we don't know. Perhaps think about some of your favorite animals and what about them you like, then start imagining different, unusual, exaggerated, fun ways of twisting those concepts and attributes. Or pick two of your favorite animals and mix things about them. Ignore the underlying principles of biology and just think of what makes them interesting.

How about frog feet/legs with massive claws? Arms that allow gliding like a flying squirrel, but in the shape of the arms of a praying mantis? The flexible bodies of octopuses, yet capable of moving nearly as nimbly on land as an octopus does in water? The thin membranes and perplexing anatomy of jellyfish, but floating in the air?* The ability to coil up into a wheel-like shell and roll across a planet, but uncoil into something vicious, nimble and aggressive? The trunk of an elephant with pincers and a lamprey's mouth at the end? (Yes, my job is to give you nightmares.) The locomotion of a snake, but with two small hooks near the end to allow it to hang from walls and off cliffs? (And even stranger, perhaps make that snake a gentle herbivore that just uses those hooks as a defense mechanism to hold itself where predators can't reach?)

Think about environments, climates and ecosystems. Think about hazards such as weather, temperature or how firm the soil/ground is. Think about the physical features, physical abilities, visual attributes or overall behaviors of your favorite animals, or any animal you can think of. And yes, fictional animals from Sci-Fi (or even fantasy) genres can be used for inspiration if they're not too crazy. :) What ideas or mixtures seem coolest or most intriguing to you?

* : *cough* Metroids *cough* (Though jellyfish also have cool stinging tentacles.)

Reactions: Ithirahad and Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'd like to see creatures living under the ground, probably more likely if the planet does not have an atmosphere or is too close/too far from the sun. Typical adaptation for this type of creatures would be to have longer than wider body, limbs on the side of the body with better developed front limbs or other part of the body allowing them to easily dig and move under the ground.

I don't remember if this type of creatures (moles-similar) was mentioned here.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Omni

Ice planets: Spikey crystalline armour, thick fur , preferrs to live indoors at night

Desert/arid Planet: Solar sails (think stegosaurus or dimetrodon), leathery plate armour, can "swim" through sand

Wet Planet: lower end aquatic/amphbious creatures, right up to top-of-the-food-chain predators that look like gentle giants but hide big sharp teeth in their large mouths that sit at the edge of water waiting for prey to walk past.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    If I can create giant lizards that my soldiers can use as mounts, then I'll be a happy bunny.

Reactions: Omni
    Reaction score
    It sounds counter-intuitive but I wish our creativity wasn't so dependent on our current perception of life.

Like, what if there was a block life form that develop pit traps. You're just walking when the 4*4 blocks below you disappear. The hole seals back up and you smother to death.

Also, if you go with the infestation idea. You could have different species randomly generate their favourite block to naw on.

Reaction score
    I want to see creatures adapted to the environments of each type of planet . Example : Yeti for Ice planet , Sheep for Earth-likes , giant scorpions for Deserts , etc...
    That promise to be great !

Reaction score
    Asteroid worms like in Empire Strikes Back. Sarlacc analogs. Big bugs like in Starship Troopers. Land sharks knocking at the airlock door saying "candygram"...

Reactions: Omni and Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So what you guys are saying is:

You want space whales.
    These space whales will feed off of dust clouds of alcohol.
    The whales will then produce hydrocarbons, which could then be sold at a shop.
    The dust clouds are sentient because the electromagnetically charged dust particles in them act as a brain.
    The dust clouds also feed off of asteroids and ships.
    If a ship were to attack a dust cloud, it would turn solid and try to attack it back.

Two questions:

1. How would this be implemented?
    2. Do you guys have any idea how insane this sounds? lol
    ...They feed off of floating alcohol? Go home, nebulae, you're drunk. :P

Reactions: Omni
    Reaction score
    hehe! Well, it's actually methanol, which you might find in formaldehyde, antifreeze, or fuel (it's actually an excellent alternative to petroleum-based fuels!).... ethanol is what you'd get drunk off of :D You can read about the first discovery of methanol in space here -- it's a cloud that spans around 288 billion miles! :eek:

Reactions: Darth Plaigus
    D

Deleted member 301635

I've said this before, but I don't think anyone noticed, so I'll say it again: Builders.
    Basically, mysterious, ancient aliens that build equally mysterious structures, then abandon them, slowly moving out from spawn (5.5.5.- -1.-1.-1) in a specific direction, almost as if they're fleeing something...
    Kind of like a combination of Protheans/Forerunners/Eridians but with random characteristics.