What Creatures/Aliens and other life forms would you like to see?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Necromorphs, giant vegetal tentacles that grow from spores (that get onboard the ship from the dirt of the purple planets perhaps) and spacewhales.

Almost forgot: bio-mechanoids creatures kinda like the engi in FTL

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Giant space maggots, possibly with missing chunks of flesh exposing ribs and sickly looking moldering patches.

Reaction score
    I understand technical limitations :p

If I had more knowledge of coding with game engines that theoretically support procedural generation (forgive the term, but it's a procedure if there's a start point and the end point is limited by what the RNG chooses, as far as I'm concerned) of 3d creatures, I imagine I'd be able to throw out some more reasonable suggestions. But hey! Reach for the stars, yeah?

The way Starbound is currently would *not* be an ideal goal, because they have restrictions on the amount of variety that can occur based on what sprites the devs have added and what type of body part they are. Lower torso+head+arms+detail seems to be what they're going for, which is... Okay, I guess? I'd rather see main parts of bodies being randomly generated skeletons at semi random rotations with semi random bone sizes and a mesh wrapped over them. I'm thinking of if Spore were to randomly generate creatures instead of using presets.

From what I've seen in Minecraft mods, Java supports creating meshes on the fly. I'm pretty sure that despite Schine being a vastly different engine (engine similarities being limited to chunking of saved objects and voxel usage as far as I can tell), it could potentially make use of that.

If taking procedural generation to the extremes can't be done, or is too strenuous on the CPU for the low end user, I'd happily settle for diverse parts that don't all have an Earthlike analog, and the high possibility that parts of creatures couldn't be easily identified by the player.
    While certainly possible, it would require quite a bit of attention from the kitty which would slow the development of other things. Also, if the system relies on algorithms for procedural mesh generation, this makes it more difficult for modders to add in their own things. It might be possible to include both systems or allow them to work together, but that's even more complex, and even more work for our coding cat.

Either way, I consider it very important for modders to be able to implement their own Fauna parts or completely pre-defined Fauna. (Zerglings, Jigglypuffs, sharks with freakin' laser beams on their heads, whatever a modder wants to get ingame very specifically, as well as anything in between pre-defined Fauna and the procedural system. Such as Jigglypuffs that use procedural choice to have different sets of legs. Like spider-Jigglypuffs.)

While I like the creatures generated in Starbound, I feel they lack depth. You see way too much of the same things and same behaviors. It works well enough for the game, but it is likely StarMade Fauna will be more varied and nuanced. (More flexible requirements in generation being one key component, rather than having a very rigid number of required part slots.) This may be something that will be developed and fleshed out over time, though, so there may be too little variation in first implementations.

Omni I don't imagine the flora idea to be terribly difficult to implement.
    Believe me, if given the opportunity to implement them, I have PLENTY of ideas for Flora. ;) Still a lot yet to be decided regarding the possibilities of Flora, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Allow me to cast a vote in favor of flora.

Also, will the abilities and traits of creatures be able to be defined within certain parameters but still be random within those parameters? (i.e. laser sharks are only allowed lasers, but any kind, "laser" sharks are allowed any sort of weapon, of any kind.)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Ah, I wasn't quite sure what the details of that kind of system were :P

As for flora, I sense that we're mostly talking about larger plants, like trees, treelike structures, bushes, etc. I'd be interested in seeing what kind of things could be put together in single blocks (be it with a 3d model setup or with something else).

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Arrrty Gold
    I like the idea of some form of desolate alien that just swarms a planet/ship and infests it, much like the Zerg from Starcraft. They just infest a place and assimilate the local aliens inter their swarm, collated and controlled by a single telepathic entity which a player or a group of players can track down to destroy the swarm.

Reaction score
    Going with what Pi-Rex just said it would be really cool if an alien race could terraform an uninhabited planet. They would Land a ship and terrain changes would propagate out from there. Perhaps they would have a weapon (somewhat like a pulsator) that rather than damage a block it converts it to another type. This would also mean you could see a Terran planet with alien terrain blocks. This would provide for an interesting resource conversion system for resources native to a type of planet. Perhaps there could be a race for every terrain type that slowly change planets and even fight amongst themselves for control of a planet to terraform.

Reactions: Iskandar
    Reaction score
    I like that idea, Yaodin! It'd make for an interesting twist if pirates or some other NPC faction could invade a player's planet and begin terraforming it ^_^

Reaction score
    I the moya idea but I think pets who follow you and protect you like space dogs or crew. Npc to walk about your ship and fly ships around you protecting your ship and docking inside of pre set docking port this way you can have 100 crew and tell them to come back after 15 minutes and have it so different troops come back at different times this way you will have people out protecting you even when your not online and if some get damaged that can be set to only go back out if it still has active weapons so useless ships don't get in the way of usefully ones and people can't fly by and take your protection elsewhere because after a distance the team comes back.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    ... it could give way to an insanely diverse universe.
    Giving way to an insanely diverse universe? That's the plan. :D I'll be doing everything I can to make things as variable, unpredictable and diverse as possible. And NOT like Spore, where everything may look different but it all acts exactly the same. (Also true of Starbound, though it isn't nearly as much of a problem there.)

If the cat and I can work some serious magic, I dream of the possibility of landing on a planet with great canopies like nothing you've ever seen before, and as you walk beneath them you see some random Fauna hanging from a vine by its teeth/teeth-like-apparatus-or-feature. (Which when it sees you, looks shocked, falls off the vine and runs off to hide in whatever way the species has evolved to protect itself.) In other words, vast ranges of behavior and characteristics for both Flora and Fauna, creating a universe where there is always something new to find, and they're interesting enough to be worth finding. All that being said, that's just a dream, my imagination let loose. For now, better to focus on the more immediate matters. Right now, the focus is Fauna.

I the moya idea but I think pets who follow you and protect you like space dogs or crew. Npc to walk about your ship and fly ships around you protecting your ship and docking inside of pre set docking port this way you can have 100 crew and tell them to come back after 15 minutes and have it so different troops come back at different times this way you will have people out protecting you even when your not online and if some get damaged that can be set to only go back out if it still has active weapons so useless ships don't get in the way of usefully ones and people can't fly by and take your protection elsewhere because after a distance the team comes back.
    I would love to have enough depth to the NPCs that you could set up a station that basically runs itself, and runs like clockwork. Even better, one that can react to different situations, such as telling crew or ships to only be sent out if they are in good enough condition. (As you mentioned.)

Things like this can actually be surprisingly simple as long as the foundations are in place, such as the ability of the NPCs to take the commands and do things like pilot ships, or dock them. Mix it with some basic priority systems (so NPCs act based on which action that needs to be done is highest priority on their list), the ability to coordinate (have stations/groups send certain set numbers or percentages of available NPCs to do tasks, to avoid having some problem come up and suddenly every NPC you have runs to fix it), and the ability to have it manage NPCs based on location, condition or settings (so if something needs to be done by a few engineers, it would find the closest NPCs who are both engineers - as opposed to soldiers or something - and in proper condition to do the task - such as not in critical medical condition or busy with a much higher priority task) would allow amazingly effective and detailed NPC activity. (This is not a statement of what will be in the game, rather a discussion on NPC artificial intelligence programming in games as it could theoretically relate to StarMade.) I can't say exactly what you should expect from StarMade's NPC control and AI, but I'd certainly love it if what I just described came to fruition. :)

Reaction score
    Some shelled creatures that live on asteroids. When you mine the asteroid they will try to jump at your ship and cling on. Once they are attached they slowly naw at your hulls until you use a EMP or get out and clean them off with your blaster.

Its a shame Tribbles would likely crash the server :)

Reaction score
    So I decided to take a crack a building a space whale. Still working on it, but I started with the idea that this would be something to be shot up, so I started with the skeleton and began adding flesh, blood, organs, and eventually skin. All in regular hulls for a smoother appearance. This is a first attempt and still a WIP, I will likely make other versions, but here ya go.

It's loaded with dumb missiles and salvagers with a BobbyAI. I'm thinking it could be used as a pirate option.

Reactions: Yaodin and marcus87

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Alien spaceships, illegal aliens, alienware, the list goes on.

Reaction score
    Giving way to an insanely diverse universe? That's the plan. :D I'll be doing everything I can to make things as variable, unpredictable and diverse as possible. And NOT like Spore, where everything may look different but it all acts exactly the same. (Also true of Starbound, though it isn't nearly as much of a problem there.)

If the cat and I can work some serious magic, I dream of the possibility of landing on a planet with great canopies like nothing you've ever seen before, and as you walk beneath them you see some random Fauna hanging from a vine by its teeth/teeth-like-apparatus-or-feature. (Which when it sees you, looks shocked, falls off the vine and runs off to hide in whatever way the species has evolved to protect itself.) In other words, vast ranges of behavior and characteristics for both Flora and Fauna, creating a universe where there is always something new to find, and they're interesting enough to be worth finding. All that being said, that's just a dream, my imagination let loose. For now, better to focus on the more immediate matters. Right now, the focus is Fauna.

I would love to have enough depth to the NPCs that you could set up a station that basically runs itself, and runs like clockwork. Even better, one that can react to different situations, such as telling crew or ships to only be sent out if they are in good enough condition. (As you mentioned.)

Things like this can actually be surprisingly simple as long as the foundations are in place, such as the ability of the NPCs to take the commands and do things like pilot ships, or dock them. Mix it with some basic priority systems (so NPCs act based on which action that needs to be done is highest priority on their list), the ability to coordinate (have stations/groups send certain set numbers or percentages of available NPCs to do tasks, to avoid having some problem come up and suddenly every NPC you have runs to fix it), and the ability to have it manage NPCs based on location, condition or settings (so if something needs to be done by a few engineers, it would find the closest NPCs who are both engineers - as opposed to soldiers or something - and in proper condition to do the task - such as not in critical medical condition or busy with a much higher priority task) would allow amazingly effective and detailed NPC activity. (This is not a statement of what will be in the game, rather a discussion on NPC artificial intelligence programming in games as it could theoretically relate to StarMade.) I can't say exactly what you should expect from StarMade's NPC control and AI, but I'd certainly love it if what I just described came to fruition. :)
    I know some programming and I have been thinking about marking a mod if I ever get the time to make one and you like it I'd be happy to let you add it and edit it as you pleases I'd be happy to help if I get the time to do so I love the game and I think npc that can do stuff like that will bring ways to better balance and make game play more fun.

Sadly I'm currently working on a ksp mod and I dont have time for that so this may be something I won't even be working on for months or even years because I don't want to take away from my limited time to play.

Reaction score
    I was reading the zerg idea, and thought of "What if it could like a fungus, making instead of a shroom island, we could have shroom planets!"

The other idea I had was something a bit more tame, I remember from one of the star trek games there's being these ships that communicate through energy pulses and were actually lifeforms themselves. Added spoiler tags since it's towards the end of the game it's featured in.

Reaction score
    I know some programming and I have been thinking about marking a mod if I ever get the time to make one and you like it I'd be happy to let you add it and edit it as you pleases I'd be happy to help if I get the time to do so I love the game and I think npc that can do stuff like that will bring ways to better balance and make game play more fun.

Sadly I'm currently working on a ksp mod and I dont have time for that so this may be something I won't even be working on for months or even years because I don't want to take away from my limited time to play.
    While I fear you may have a severe punctuation deficiency, (just teasing) I'd be happy to see what you might make when the options are there. :) But I think the point is more for us to provide you with the easiest, most flexible and most efficient system possible with the goal of letting you realize your own dreams. The best thing many people will be able to do with the community is offer their work to others as mods. A healthy modding community can and will make all the difference. :D

Also, YAY KSP. Any mod I might know? Or just kind of a personal project? Either way, many people have limited time to play. That is part of why an easy and efficient system is so valuable. It's best if the features of the game, even the more technical ones, can be enjoyed by anyone interested, not just those the with large amounts of free time necessary to figure out an awkward and complex system. However, it's still important that such streamlining doesn't prevent those who DO have the time from being able to make things more amazing than I can even begin to imagine. ;) Those who do can offer their extensive and dedicated work to the community as mods if they like, helping keep the game and community healthy.

Reaction score
    While I fear you may have a severe punctuation deficiency, (just teasing) I'd be happy to see what you might make when the options are there. :) But I think the point is more for us to provide you with the easiest, most flexible and most efficient system possible with the goal of letting you realize your own dreams. The best thing many people will be able to do with the community is offer their work to others as mods. A healthy modding community can and will make all the difference. :D

Also, YAY KSP. Any mod I might know? Or just kind of a personal project? Either way, many people have limited time to play. That is part of why an easy and efficient system is so valuable. It's best if the features of the game, even the more technical ones, can be enjoyed by anyone interested, not just those the with large amounts of free time necessary to figure out an awkward and complex system. However, it's still important that such streamlining doesn't prevent those who DO have the time from being able to make things more amazing than I can even begin to imagine. ;) Those who do can offer their extensive and dedicated work to the community as mods if they like, helping keep the game and community healthy.
    Ok and the mod I'm working on is a off shot from Mecjeb I have not posted anything official yet. The idea is more flexible auto pilot to the point where it won't even need to be loaded to work so you set the flight plan hit go and then go do something else. I started with just wanting to make my plains act like that were piloted so I can have five jets fly in a v shape around my planet.