What Creatures/Aliens and other life forms would you like to see?

Reaction score
    An expansion on my shroom concept, I was thinking of a possibility that these shrooms travel around by either some spore pod that flies through space to other planets to start growing by crashing into the surface where it leaves mycelium kinda like how grass patches are. After some time, this mycelium spreads on top of other blocks and mushrooms begin growing, where they have a change to grow into a really huge mushroom made of special blocks if given the chance

You also have a risk if you have a ship on the planet of getting some of these things in your ships either by impacting a space spore or if the mycelium grows to your ship and gets inside. I was thinking this could be interesting as you might wind up bringing a potential shroom forest in your base, but I think the shrooms should be able to do a quick check before growing so it doesn't end up replacing blocks in your base with shroom blocks. It would make for an interesting slight biohazard if it's pulled off right.

Reaction score
    An expansion on my shroom concept, I was thinking of a possibility that these shrooms travel around by either some spore pod that flies through space to other planets to start growing by crashing into the surface where it leaves mycelium kinda like how grass patches are. After some time, this mycelium spreads on top of other blocks and mushrooms begin growing, where they have a change to grow into a really huge mushroom made of special blocks if given the chance

You also have a risk if you have a ship on the planet of getting some of these things in your ships either by impacting a space spore or if the mycelium grows to your ship and gets inside. I was thinking this could be interesting as you might wind up bringing a potential shroom forest in your base, but I think the shrooms should be able to do a quick check before growing so it doesn't end up replacing blocks in your base with shroom blocks. It would make for an interesting slight biohazard if it's pulled off right.
    This sounds like a cool variation of the terraforming idea, just executed by a fungi.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You also have a risk if you have a ship on the planet of getting some of these things in your ships either by impacting a space spore or if the mycelium grows to your ship and gets inside. I was thinking this could be interesting as you might wind up bringing a potential shroom forest in your base
    Hah, mushroom fleet invading Starmade universe :)

Reactions: RedDragonflyxx

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Ehhhhhhhhh... I like the idea, but it has to stay contained somehow. Perhaps it can only spread when tripped/"activated" somehow, and onto planets that meet certain requirements.

Reaction score
    Ehhhhhhhhh... I like the idea, but it has to stay contained somehow. Perhaps it can only spread when tripped/"activated" somehow, and onto planets that meet certain requirements.
    That's why I liked the idea of multiple factions that would terraform planets at the same rate so while one planet is being changed from terran (or whatever) somewhere else a planet is being changed to terran. All of these events would be very rare though, maybe a planet per system per week.

Reaction score
    I was thinking maybe certain blocks that it can't grow on, maybe like sand. I was trying to think of something that could act as a barrier against the mushrooms, but not be easy to obtain so it doesn't turn into every station has sandy carpets. (come to thing of it, fungus can grow on walls too, right? >.>; )

The spreading would be a bit of a slow process if done naturally from planet to planet. I was thinking a stalk that grows larger in stages before reaching a final stage where the top explodes and sends a spore skyward in the direction the stalk was pointing it. However, this shroom would be rather large and have to pass that check I mentioned earlier about replacing blocks with mushroom blocks around it (I guess unless the shroom blocks replace other mushroom blocks?). So this process would be a bit nuanced to prevent a quick massive spread across the galaxy. Yea, it's not entirely contained, but it's not very rapid, either. An infested star system cleanup wouldn't be too tricky for a faction.

The planet face to face spreading of the mushrooms might go slightly quicker than from planet to planet. I'm not too worried about this since it would most likely grow on the surface or in caves, so the planet itself doesn't have to worry about too much. Bases and stations on the other hand might not have the same opinion of clogged walkways.

I also had a thought of what could happen if a mushroom grows over a percentage of a ship, if it might take it over, or maybe ship mobs with infested computers. Turn them into massive suicide sporeships which crash into stuff and spread the spores more effectively than a normal spore would. A shroomed fighter that explodes near a ship could spread more mycelium on your ship than a spore impact would. The idea would more be like it someone doesn't do anything with a ship (I'm talking, undocked and unattended) in over a week with the fungus on it, it might have a mind if it's own...

I also had a scary idea if one would learn how to handle a spore without detonating it on themselves....

It's alot to go over, but I kinda think it'd be neat having a mob change the game around like that, even if it is a bit mindless in nature. Also, I think some of the concepts might be a bit of balance chat to keep it from going too out of control, but become meaningless after a day or so.

Reactions: marshrover
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I would want to see randomly generated species, but I would also like there to be hostile neutral and friendly species, each with their own forms of architecture. And just to enhance the combat aspect of the game, they should carry their own versions of weapons and have their own ships etc. It would take a lot of work, but the outcome would be nothing short of spectacular. Inhabited planets with their own unique style of... everything really.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Space creatures that move about by absorbing radiation and dust particles, then ionizing and ejecting said dust out the rear end.

Could work for anything from spaceflies to colossal space squid.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Anything but Star Trek style aliens. So boring.

Also, I don't see where all this love of space whales is coming from. They aren't really that cool. Space jellyfish are much better.
    If space whales get added, I'm going to kill the freaks of nature on sight.

Reaction score
    Anything but Star Trek style aliens. So boring.

Also, I don't see where all this love of space whales is coming from. They aren't really that cool. Space jellyfish are much better.
    If space whales get added, I'm going to kill the freaks of nature on sight.
    We are going to make laws against people like you. Poaching the delicate space whale population. Makes me sick.

Reactions: mindlord0013

Winterhome

Reaction score
    I hope whale blubber is worth money. I'd like to be compensated for my ammunition consumption.

Reactions: Websterandy42
    Reaction score
    I hope whale blubber is worth money. I'd like to be compensated for my ammunition consumption.
    They could naturally synthesize some mineral (hydrocarbons) from gathered H2 as a way chemosynthesis. When killed, they would release a lot of this stuff and it would instantly freeze into blocks (it would actually atomize in a vacuum but...) allowing you to pick it up and sell at a shop. Whales would need to stay near stars or in gas clouds though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Synthesizing hydrocarbons from H2 could be difficult if done without nucleosynthesis :) If space whales would use alcohol clouds as a substrate - then why not :)

But then, why care about space whales if we have clouds of ALCOHOL

Reaction score
    Synthesizing hydrocarbons from H2 could be difficult if done without nucleosynthesis :) If space whales would use alcohol clouds as a substrate - then why not :)

But then, why care about space whales if we have clouds of ALCOHOL
    The clouds made me think, can we get very rare sentient cloud of electromagnetically charged dust particles that act as a brain? They could feed on asteroids and naw on nearby ships. EMPs insta-kill but are the only weapon that has any effect on them. They could literally just be a particle effect.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    The clouds made me think, can we get very rare sentient cloud of electromagnetically charged dust particles that act as a brain? They could feed on asteroids and naw on nearby ships. EMPs insta-kill but are the only weapon that has any effect on them. They could literally just be a particle effect.
    Sentient dust clouds that utilize electromagnetic radiation as an energy source and means of locomotion.
    Anger one and I imagine it could fuse into a solid object and bash your ship (or try to pierce it) :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So what you guys are saying is:

You want space whales.
    These space whales will feed off of dust clouds of alcohol.
    The whales will then produce hydrocarbons, which could then be sold at a shop.
    The dust clouds are sentient because the electromagnetically charged dust particles in them act as a brain.
    The dust clouds also feed off of asteroids and ships.
    If a ship were to attack a dust cloud, it would turn solid and try to attack it back.

Two questions:

1. How would this be implemented?
    2. Do you guys have any idea how insane this sounds? lol

Reactions: RedDragonflyxx