What 3 features would you most like to see added to Starmade?

Wow.

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    1) Custom AI Factions. Servers have control over who spawns in what ships and how they react to the player and other ai and how they respond to aggression. These AI can also have randomly controlled systems they populate with ships, planets, and stations.

2) Fleet control, I want to be able to fly a squadron of fighters or corvettes around to pick fights with pirates. Big capitals get boring

3) Game mechanic reason for having interiors.

Reactions: Malacodor
    Reaction score
    1) Decorative blocks, such as furniture and beds. I don't care if this is a mainly-fighter game, interiors look BARREN and everyone loves building. Everything is purely functional with only a handful of decorative blocks, no reason to make an effort with interiors..

2) More generated structures, both on planet and off. I'd especially like to see an expansion to Neptune (Ice Planets) and Purple Drank planets (Alien) as they have no structures. (Earth planets have cities and Deserts have pyramids)

3) Expanded Logic system. I loved Minecraft's redstone so I'm excited for Starmade's own system to add to my ships. Perhaps a sound block for sirens, or something to do with a rail system. (On ship Logic controlled Monorail, anyone?)

*EDIT: I also really hate how the new weapon system is handled, it should be a slider for what effect you're leaning towards, because if you're one block off with the current system you do not get the effect that you wanted. It has to be perfect 1:1 and that isn't fun or creative at all.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Everything is purely functional with only a handful of decorative blocks, no reason to make an effort with interiors..
    Scarcity creates creativity in most cases. have we not build circles in block games before?

I can make furniture with the 5 shapes available to me, no problem. My interiors look good because I want them to, and that is personal preference. Too much decoratives will provide less original solutions to obvious design problems. However, a mod to add these would be nice, since you can choose if you want these blocks or not.

I would not mind a single bit if more were added, but instead of slowing down development of more important things, why don't we ease the modding of blocks, so players can make their own without any necessary skills?

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    Scarcity creates creativity in most cases. have we not build circles in block games before?

I can make furniture with the 5 shapes available to me, no problem. My interiors look good because I want them to, and that is personal preference. Too much decoratives will provide less original solutions to obvious design problems. However, a mod to add these would be nice, since you can choose if you want these blocks or not.

I would not mind a single bit if more were added, but instead of slowing down development of more important things, why don't we ease the modding of blocks, so players can make their own without any necessary skills?
    Sure you can make them out of blocks. But they sure as hell don't look good, c'mon a corner block does not look like a chair and a white hull block and 2 red hull blocks doesn't look at all like a bed. If we're gonna have full crewed ships we need crew quarters and using blocks to represent furniture isn't going to last in the long run. People new to the game think they look like misplaced blocks.

If anything, adding more options to building will INCREASE the creativity options with the game. YMMV.

Still, I'm talking about late game here, the focus is on combat and engine efficiency and that's good, I'm talking after full release when we have everything done and ready. But the more things added to the game, the more it branches off with other audiences. I for one prefer building, others want weapons. One by one I'm sure we'll be sated, Schema is smart.

*Edit in the first paragraph I wasn't dissing your skills BTW.

Reaction score
    -Like most people FTL.
    -Real armor for hull
    -Ship category , this is easy use the mass of ship to separate them in categories ( fighter , frigate , cruiser,etc...) and make them feel like ship of those category , like a big cruiser doesnt have the same speed and agility than a fighter , but a cruiser can carry a FTL drive were a small fighter cant. You know things like that , so owning several type of ship would be very interesting all of em with their strenght /weakness , their different way to use em etc...

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    -Like most people FTL.
    -Real armor for hull
    -Ship category , this is easy use the mass of ship to separate them in categories ( fighter , frigate , cruiser,etc...) and make them feel like ship of those category , like a big cruiser doesnt have the same speed and agility than a fighter , but a cruiser can carry a FTL drive were a small fighter cant. You know things like that , so owning several type of ship would be very interesting all of em with their strenght /weakness , their different way to use em etc...
    I agree with the first two. However, the only category a ship can be in, is the category the owner intended it to be in. No "official" classifications. Instead, create values for these characteristics that decrease or increase as mass increases. This would give you somewhat similar results.

Xeo

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    1: Plexlifts in Ships
    2: Pistons, Rotors, etc. I would at least like to be able to script turret dock movement and trigger it via logic blocks for transforming ship parts.
    3: Rails. I want to build station trams. I want to build launch systems for shuttles/fighters to avoid bouncing around the inside of a moving carrier ship while trying to exit.

Reactions: Jimbob7595
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    *EDIT: I also really hate how the new weapon system is handled, it should be a slider for what effect you're leaning towards, because if you're one block off with the current system you do not get the effect that you wanted. It has to be perfect 1:1 and that isn't fun or creative at all.
    From my testing (since the .151 patch) you do not need 1:1 ratio for it to work. I have auto cannons that shoot fast but not machinegun fast, swarm missiles that do not fire 15 missiles per launcher, I've tuned the damage on one of my artillery cannons. You may lose a couple DPS due to rounding errors but it shouldn't be more than a few points.

Reaction score
    From my testing (since the .151 patch) you do not need 1:1 ratio for it to work. I have auto cannons that shoot fast but not machinegun fast, swarm missiles that do not fire 15 missiles per launcher, I've tuned the damage on one of my artillery cannons. You may lose a couple DPS due to rounding errors but it shouldn't be more than a few points.
    Hot damn, you're right. Glad they did that, but I'd still prefer a slider or points system for fine-tuning. Maybe make the thing go into a 30 sec 'calibration' mode so it can't be exploited.

Reaction score
    As for my real 3 it would be servo motors. Although I want a reason to go down and hug the surface of a planet for a reason other than lasering it for an hour.
    Even if I laser it, I want to not be just lasering it. I should be digging tunnels and things. Maybe finding abandoned underground military bases or something. I want a non-credit reason to laser planets.

Reaction score
    1. AI advances, creatures, NPCs on stations etc. I think hostile creatures on derelict space stations would be really cool.
    2. Custom AI factions with lots of editable features. Name, colour, disposition, allies etc.
    3. Either a food/fuel system or a conquest game mode where factions/alliances must fight to control planets.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    1. AI advances, creatures, NPCs on stations etc. I think hostile creatures on derelict space stations would be really cool.
    2. Custom AI factions with lots of editable features. Name, colour, disposition, allies etc.
    3. Either a food/fuel system or a conquest game mode where factions/alliances must fight to control planets.
    Funny, my server is busy implementing control points. - oh wait, that was supposed to be a secret. *ahem* - It is nowhere near finished.

Reactions: Jimbob7595
    Reaction score
    1. Don't add bad ideas that change the game just because they are popular.

2. More customization for servers and options for players.

3. Solar systems to be less compact

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Could you give me an example?

(Sectors are customizable in the server config so planets aren't so compact.)
    Dodecahedron planets. The generation has no consistency over segments, making planets look extremely malformed. They take a ridiculously long time to load, provide far less room to build on, and at the moment are buggy as hell. I for one was fine with the old cylindrical planets. There was tons of room to build on those. And now there's talk of multi-faction planets? Those planets are hardly big enough for a single faction, and you would almost never expect to see a faction within 5 kilometers of another, if that close.

Reaction score
    Dodecahedron planets. The generation has no consistency over segments, making planets look extremely malformed. They take a ridiculously long time to load, provide far less room to build on, and at the moment are buggy as hell. I for one was fine with the old cylindrical planets. There was tons of room to build on those. And now there's talk of multi-faction planets? Those planets are hardly big enough for a single faction, and you would almost never expect to see a faction within 5 kilometers of another, if that close.
    AGREE! I'm hoping they at least make the seams unnoticeable, and yes you can mod their size but if you do, lag city and also the seams are even bigger. I hate how you can't even claim the whole planet I mean come on....

Honestly? A square would have fitted the Minecraft theme of the game, but I preferred the oreo planets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    AGREE! I'm hoping they at least make the seams unnoticeable, and yes you can mod their size but if you do, lag city and also the seams are even bigger. I hate how you can't even claim the whole planet I mean come on....

Honestly? A square would have fitted the Minecraft theme of the game, but I preferred the oreo planets.
    Yeah, as "ugly" as some people thought they looked, they were far better situated for building on, as there was more room on a single surface.

Reaction score
    1: Docking Alignment block, so that ships are no longer centered around the core. A 40x40x40 ship should fit in a 50x50x50 docking area.

2: A new Tool in the Tools section of the launcher that allows the movement of ship cores, or in lieu of that, a pilot block that allows an active flight mode (obviously only 1 player pilot would be allowed)

3: 22.5 degree angled blocks. The first block starts at 0 and ends at half a block height, the second starts at half a block height and ends at full height.

There are many others but these are the three I want ASAP:)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    1: Docking Alignment block, so that ships are no longer centered around the core. A 40x40x40 ship should fit in a 50x50x50 docking area.

2: A new Tool in the Tools section of the launcher that allows the movement of ship cores, or in lieu of that, a pilot block that allows an active flight mode (obviously only 1 player pilot would be allowed)

3: 22.5 degree angled blocks. The first block starts at 0 and ends at half a block height, the second starts at half a block height and ends at full height.

There are many others but these are the three I want ASAP:)
    Yeah, I like the idea of the 22.5 angles, but they would require 2 new types of block to implement. Also, I like the idea of a pilot block! Or perhaps the ability to enter using a cockpit?

Reaction score
    Yeah, I like the idea of the 22.5 angles, but they would require 2 new types of block to implement. Also, I like the idea of a pilot block! Or perhaps the ability to enter using a cockpit?
    There's 4 block types for 45 degree angles (wedge, corner, pentra, tetra), and to be honest it's already a bit painful to get the right block type oriented the right way. For 22.5 degree angles you'd probably need 8 more block types, and selecting and orienting them would be a major hassle.

A better idea would be to nerf all that and just have one "conforming" block type, where the game automatically makes the shapes of the conforming blocks suit the holes in the surrounding normal/solid blocks.

My list of features is:
    • Fuel and fuel costs; which I consider the only viable way of getting "tiny ship vs. huge titan" balance that isn't completely stupid
    • Formulas for everything (shields, power, DPS, etc) that have at least some sort of logical/realistic reason; rather than things like "for no obvious reason whatsoever, power regen blocks are best placed in an <insert arcane nonsense here> way". For a simple example, this might involve heat as a reason (e.g. some blocks generate heat, while other blocks are more efficient when they're not touching blocks that generate heat).
    • Give up on seamless descent into planetary atmospheres. Having a cut-scene when entering a planet's atmosphere would allow for "infinitely large" flat planets that don't suck, and would also dramatically reduce lag when flying past a planet.