Weapon Module Linking Across Docked Entities

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Might be a pretty tall order until we get the whole "how to make things talk to docked entities" thing done (so that you could do things like access the inventory of a docked ship), but if/when we get that cracked, one small request?

Some kind of a weapon output block that can be linked to weapon modules to act as the firing point.

I like being able to make ships with relatively small or innocuous turrets that don't mar the overall flow of the ship's design. I'd love to be able to do something as simple as having all of the weapon modules in the BASE of the turret thats easier to hide in the hull.

Still need all the same block counts and the like to make the turret work, just let us move them around to where they are the most visually pleasing.

Now, some will mention that this makes it possible to protect the modules with the ship's hull and primary shields even under 50%, and that is a very good point, hypothetical poster. But I suggest we could simply have weapons that target turrets simply aim for the weapon's output block. One good hit would take out the entire turret if you choose that design, all those modules would be stuck under the hull where they can't aim and would be useless.

Mostly just grumbling over how much space is wasted in the hull to get the same effect now with big pendulums of modules waving around like a Scotsman's kilted nether regions on a windy day.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I totally agree with you however, I don't think I represent the majority.
    God willing, this will make it into the game :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Might be a pretty tall order until we get the whole "how to make things talk to docked entities" thing done (so that you could do things like access the inventory of a docked ship), but if/when we get that cracked, one small request?

Some kind of a weapon output block that can be linked to weapon modules to act as the firing point.

I like being able to make ships with relatively small or innocuous turrets that don't mar the overall flow of the ship's design. I'd love to be able to do something as simple as having all of the weapon modules in the BASE of the turret thats easier to hide in the hull.

Still need all the same block counts and the like to make the turret work, just let us move them around to where they are the most visually pleasing.

Now, some will mention that this makes it possible to protect the modules with the ship's hull and primary shields even under 50%, and that is a very good point, hypothetical poster. But I suggest we could simply have weapons that target turrets simply aim for the weapon's output block. One good hit would take out the entire turret if you choose that design, all those modules would be stuck under the hull where they can't aim and would be useless.

Mostly just grumbling over how much space is wasted in the hull to get the same effect now with big pendulums of modules waving around like a Scotsman's kilted nether regions on a windy day.
    Actually you can already protect turret bases below the ships hull. You are not required to have a physical connection. if you are ok with just having a tilting turret you can put both of the turret axis below the hull.
    This ship is an example of the lower axis being below the hull of the ship http://starmadedock.net/threads/daybringer.21387/
    Its like having 16 little drones fly in tight formation around your ship.
    You can even put both axis below the hull. it isn't hard to do. doing so means they have to go through all your shielding to knock a turret off not just 50%.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Actually you can already protect turret bases below the ships hull. You are not required to have a physical connection. if you are ok with just having a tilting turret you can put both of the turret axis below the hull.
    This ship is an example of the lower axis being below the hull of the ship http://starmadedock.net/threads/daybringer.21387/
    Its like having 16 little drones fly in tight formation around your ship.
    You can even put both axis below the hull. it isn't hard to do. doing so means they have to go through all your shielding to knock a turret off not just 50%.
    Doesn't matter where the axis is, my point was to not have giant turret pieces floating around above the hull for ship designs that aren't supposed to have giant turrets but that we still want to be able to build in Starmade (basically, almost every ship design in Trek).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Doesn't matter where the axis is, my point was to not have giant turret pieces floating around above the hull for ship designs that aren't supposed to have giant turrets but that we still want to be able to build in Starmade (basically, almost every ship design in Trek).
    You missed the point I was pointing out the argument you said others might have is mute because that could already be done. Its as if you don't even know what you wrote.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You missed the point I was pointing out the argument you said others might have is mute because that could already be done. Its as if you don't even know what you wrote.
    Okay, one the word you're looking for is moot, meaning it is debatable (with the connotation of being of little importance or easily dismissed), not mute. Two, no I did not miss the point because my original point was that it would let you completely bury all of the blocks under the hull while giving you a full firing arc with the main block, while still being able to knock out the turret as if the blocks were above the hull line.

Currently yes, you can bury a turret under the hull of the main ship, but doing so drastically reduces it's ability to fire, which wouldn't be an issue with this. This would be easier to knock out of commission, but would have greater potential firing arcs than a current gen buried turret.

If just the axis is below the hull and you have floating turrets, then you still have the entire business end of the turret outside of the hull marring the appearance, which was also my point.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Okay, one the word you're looking for is moot, meaning it is debatable (with the connotation of being of little importance or easily dismissed), not mute. Two, no I did not miss the point because my original point was that it would let you completely bury all of the blocks under the hull while giving you a full firing arc with the main block, while still being able to knock out the turret as if the blocks were above the hull line.

Currently yes, you can bury a turret under the hull of the main ship, but doing so drastically reduces it's ability to fire, which wouldn't be an issue with this. This would be easier to knock out of commission, but would have greater potential firing arcs than a current gen buried turret.

If just the axis is below the hull and you have floating turrets, then you still have the entire business end of the turret outside of the hull marring the appearance, which was also my point.
    Personally I like the fact that they have to do more damage to a system than just destroy one block. Your idea from the way I read it suggest the weapon output block be a so crucial as that if it is damaged the weapon stops firing.

If you look a the following image you see a low profile design. It will keep firing till every last module is wiped out or the it is effectively destroyed. It is protected in its controls and docking being below the hull. It has a reasonable tilt angle of 45 it can be improved on by moving some of the lower blocks forward. Even more blocks can be added.

Even if they did what you are saying and let me move all the stuff to the base I would still need a way for that one block that is the firing point to move around and tilt. In effect it would still need the same amount of room to move as the front block of that barrel. Yes it would have more room to move because the attacked blocks would no be in the way. However depending on how far it is set off from that axis to turn it will need more space to till to the same angle.

What might fit better with what you want is you know how you can move weapons fire around by moving the targeting circle on the display. If you could setup stationary guns and connect AI to them and make use of that ability. Then you could have entire arrays of low profile weapons with only one block at the surface.