Reduceing the size of turrets with weapon emitter blocks

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    UPDATE: Since nobody is reading my later post in this thread, I decided to put my compromise here:
    I think it would be a good compromise to my original post to have weapons output only link-able and extend through one turret axis block. This would be on par with say a modern day tank for example. So the base of the turret would contain the most weapon blocks and also have to move in one axis. The barrel would contain a small fraction of weapon blocks, and be able to to move in both axis. If that makes sense.

This way you would still need mass enhancers to move all the mass. and due to the reduced size of the barrel, the turret would be easier to disable.

Original Post:
    So I found this thread here, which is almost what I'm talking about.

Instead of pressing "R" to make one of the weapon blocks the output, you could also be able to C-V an emitter block to the weapons computer. This would enable the weapon blocks to be buried in the ship but weapon's output would come from the emitter block instead.

Emitter blocks should also be able to be attached via wireless blocks as long as both wireless blocks are docked/attached to the same mother-ship/station. This would enable a huge 10,000 block AMC which is built into the ship to be fired from a single emitter block attached to a turret on the ship.

Best of all this would enable powerful sleek looking ships without hulking turrets hanging off of them.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Um, no.

A 10,000 block cannon turret should be big thing. Just the tracking buff alone makes this OP.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4

I think this accurately describes what I think about this idea.

Reaction score
    I don't have a problem with the slaves being off turret. But the primary should be on the turret. In RL its generally the ammo that is going to have the effect not the weapon system itself, particularly for cannon type systems. Even with smart systems other than the basic computer for target lock its the projectile that is actually smart.

Moving the slave systems off the turret would be a good compromise for smaller systems yet still needing the bulk of the primary system

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    As someone who's run into this issue, I would support this... If the way turret shield sharing works were to change a bit... At the very least, though, I would like to see the ability to crosslink into the turret base if not the main ship. Would open up so many possibilities for better-looking turrets on organic (Aethi!), curved (Star Trek!), or sleek (A lot of things!) ships. Not everyone wants to fly a big brick with big guns sticking out of it. >.>

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    As someone who's run into this issue, I would support this... If the way turret shield sharing works were to change a bit... At the very least, though, I would like to see the ability to crosslink into the turret base if not the main ship. Would open up so many possibilities for better-looking turrets on organic (Aethi!), curved (Star Trek!), or sleek (A lot of things!) ships. Not everyone wants to fly a big brick with big guns sticking out of it. >.>
    THANK YOU :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Star trek didn't have turrets. Torpedoes and phasers were fixed mount weapons.

And I've seen quite a few sleek looking and/or flush mounted turrets. Ask crus4der for tips,, he's just the first that comes to mind. (Prolly cuz the screen shot I use for inspiration is at the top of the alphabetical list)

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm currently working on a Galaxy class... it's huge. If the phasors were fixed mounted, it would never work. The ship is too big to turn. I would never be able to keep a target in front of me to fire the phasors. The Galaxy class wouldn't even be able to defend itself from a small fighter. The only way around this is to put the phasors on turrets. and if the turrets were to be useful at all, they would have to have a minimum size of say 600 to 1000 blocks. Once you add a couple turrets of that size to the saucer section, it wont look like a galaxy class anymore.

Plus, if you watch any episodes of TNG when the Enterprise is firing phasors, you will see that sometimes the phasors fire at targets that aren't even in front of the ship.

I know I'm probably not making any sense. I never have any luck explaining my thoughts to people.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    100% support this. Can't build a decent Star Trek ship in this game without having huge turrets if you want offensive turret usage at all. It's awful :(

Also this, so much.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    1. Inertial dampened don't exist in StarMade, that's why you can't turn fast enough.
    2. Titans can shoot their main weapons far off of center, a mechanic which many people think shouldn't exist.
    3. Moving on.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm fully in support of this as far as the beam weapons are concerned, but as far as cannons and missiles no. The turret would be acting like a mirror to direct the beam, while the beam itself is generated within the mother ship and fired at the turret

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm fully in support of this as far as the beam weapons are concerned, but as far as cannons and missiles no. The turret would be acting like a mirror to direct the beam, while the beam itself is generated within the mother ship and fired at the turret
    This would definitely be an acceptable compromise, especially considering that Star Trek style weapons are beam-style.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Seems to me this thread is about miniaturization of turrets? Overdrive will do wonders for you.

I must admit though, I would rather like this to be a thing. I agree with Ithirahad in that if this were implemented, the shielding would really need to change somehow. Possibly even a revert to not sharing shields at all. That way one could destroy the turret's ability to fire, but not all of the massive turret embedded within the ship.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    90% agree, I could definitely live with this compromise.

off topic... (I hope I don't hijack my own topic)
    however A cannon's power isn't in the size of it's barrel, it's in the size of the bullet.
    (so in the spirit of compromise I'm also all for longer cannon barrels giving cannon turrets better accuracy... :) )

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thinking about it further you could do something similar for guided missiles, where the turret is actually just the targeting device and you link whatever launch tubes in the mothership to it. Of course, this wouldn't do much for the dumb fire missiles.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8

And I've seen quite a few sleek looking and/or flush mounted turrets. Ask crus4der for tips,, he's just the first that comes to mind. (Prolly cuz the screen shot I use for inspiration is at the top of the alphabetical list)
    Torpedoes were self-guided (basically lock-ons, we have these already but obviously they can't lock outside of the screen space) and phasers were effectively a type of turret. They had no external moving parts, but they could cover a wide range of angles... The only things that can do that in SM are turrets. Of course, if we made it so that turrets kept their shield sharing and were now basically just swiveling emission points, all semblance of balance would be destroyed. However, if their shield sharing changed and their rotation calculation included the size of all attached groups... Hm. We may need a different type of dock for this. Some kind of... Emitter Turret Axis? :P This is getting complicated.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I see why you want this, but I don't think its really a good idea. I feel like this idea is coming from the desire to make ships from various franchises accurate and also combat effective in the game. I have also often felt the need for mechanics to change to match whatever scifi. I for a while wished that the ion effect disabled systems, because that is how it works in star wars. But I realized that starmade is not a star wars simulator, and that not everything can be like that, The same goes for this. Yes, in star trek ships can fire in many directions with high powered weapons without the need for bulky turrets. But, why should they have too be the same way in starmade? You cannot suit every scifi, and the game should go its own way anyway. Besides, it is perfectly possible to make a good looking ship with big turrets. Just look at homeworld ships. Their turrets are plenty big enough to work in starmade, and they look great. Make them part of your ships design.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5

While I can't put into words how strongly I disagree with OP, I have to say you're not as right as you think you are (at the very most, this idea should be a server config that is off by default). In the older TOS days phaser banks appear to just shoot beams out whatever way they want, but in later series and the recent movies, phasers are actually small turrets that are sometimes inlaid into the hull and sometimes protruding.

USS Kelvin

USS Enterprise

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Id love to be able to have all the actual weapon blocks be in the turret base, so the turret top/barrels could be made to look really nice and have an "output" or "outputs" placed whereever I want.

And if people think thats too broken, look at it this way. Once those "output" blocks get blown off, the turrets essentially useless since it has no outputs anymore.