Weapon discussion thread

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Well after more testing I have come to the conclusion that in order to bring down shields of large ships. You need at lest one of your primary weapons to be buffed with 100% ion.
    I have actually started building ships with extra effects equal to my main gun so that I can switch them out as I need them.

Reaction score
    Has anyone else had problems with 50 beams, 50 AMC, 50 Ion? On my freshly restarted (deleted old starmade folder and redownloaded the complete new 1.52) world the laser is doing 0 damage to shields and 100 damage a tick vs asteroids/blocks.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Has anyone else had problems with 50 beams, 50 AMC, 50 Ion? On my freshly restarted (deleted old starmade folder and redownloaded the complete new 1.52) world the laser is doing 0 damage to shields and 100 damage a tick vs asteroids/blocks.
    It is probably bugged. As for asteroids, the effects deactivate when you shoot inert objects so that's why it's acting normal.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well after more testing I have come to the conclusion that in order to bring down shields of large ships. You need at lest one of your primary weapons to be buffed with 100% ion.
    I have actually started building ships with extra effects equal to my main gun so that I can switch them out as I need them.
    Yeah I really don't like the idea of having to use ION just because the enemy uses shields... that's like 100% of the ships out there. You should be able to whittle down the shields, even if it takes some time it should be doable.

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I've noticed something interesting while messing with the beam system. My normal beam array, with no slave system, did around a 1000 damage, really fast. But when I hooked it up to a single D1000 computer and block as a slave, the beam only did damage once a second but did around 7M to shields. Not sure if this is a bug or not but it seems slightly exploitable.. Maybe it's been fixed already?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've noticed something interesting while messing with the beam system. My normal beam array, with no slave system, did around a 1000 damage, really fast. But when I hooked it up to a single D1000 computer and block as a slave, the beam only did damage once a second but did around 7M to shields. Not sure if this is a bug or not but it seems slightly exploitable.. Maybe it's been fixed already?
    There was a bug in .15 that made large master arrays with a single slave have odd results. I tested a 1000:1 ratio with cannons and rapid fire took 100 seconds to reload, artillery shot faster than a 1:1 rapid fire, sniper fired a huge pulse that was really slow and only went 2 meters. This was all patched in .151.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Is there currently a way to reduce the shield's power in the config files?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    There is currently an issue with shield recharging way too fast while under fire. I have discussed it with calbiri (and others), it should be fixed in the near future.

Reactions: Krazykat
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Shield load is too damn high to start off with
    I think that seems to be the general consensus... I wouldn't mind the shield strength being so tanky if it were possible to take shields down and keep them down long enough to kill the ship. In fact it probably is preferable at least for me that shield strength stay high but combat regen be nerfed.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I think that seems to be the general consensus... I wouldn't mind the shield strength being so tanky if it were possible to take shields down and keep them down long enough to kill the ship. In fact it probably is preferable at least for me that shield strength stay high but combat regen be nerfed.
    Regen needs a serious nerf. Load needs a nerf as well.

Another option is that we leave the values as they are now and bring back shields constantly consuming energy (something that i am personally a fan of)

Edit: seriously. With shields not consuming power as they should people stuff their ships like goddamn thanksgiving turkeys. Bringing back power consumptions would make stuffing like that not as much of a good idea and make the undeadable deadable

Reaction score
    Seems like having 75% recharge under fire is a terrible thing, 25%-33% seems a bit more ideal, Able to be damaged by ships your class while being roughly impossible for fighters if you are in a big ship.

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Another option is that we leave the values as they are now and bring back shields constantly consuming energy (something that i am personally a fan of)
    I think that would really screw over some ship designs though, I'd basically have to scrap all my interiors to add power or my ships will be really under shielded compared to others. Small fighters that can barely maintain power for guns and thrust would also suffer from having to power shields all the time.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I think that would really screw over some ship designs though, I'd basically have to scrap all my interiors to add power or my ships will be really under shielded compared to others. Small fighters that can barely maintain power for guns and thrust would also suffer from having to power shields all the time.
    I don't understand why the meta is dictating game design at this point.

Too many shields? Strip some out and replace with a defensive system. Shields shouldnt be an impenetrable line of defense, as they have become as of late. They should be the FIRST line of defense, backed up by armor. With the addition of defensive systems, this is actually a possibility, with status effect buffs and whatnot.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    As I said, combat regen is BUGGED at an overly high value (75%) at the moment. It should be much lower. I wouldn't worry about it too much as the devs now know of the issue.

Reactions: LukeSalmon
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I don't understand why the meta is dictating game design at this point.

Too many shields? Strip some out and replace with a defensive system. Shields shouldnt be an impenetrable line of defense, as they have become as of late. They should be the FIRST line of defense, backed up by armor. With the addition of defensive systems, this is actually a possibility, with status effect buffs and whatnot.
    You cannot strip the shields out of a ship you are fighting, everybody will pack their ships with as many shields as they can. Will adding a constant power requirement to shields help this issue? Yes. Will this one change also affect the balance of every other aspect of the game that uses power? Yes. If shields required power all the other defensive options are now thrown out the window because power management becomes a nightmare as well as thrust and weapons. Adding power requirement to shields means a complete rebalance of the power system.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    You cannot strip the shields out of a ship you are fighting, everybody will pack their ships with as many shields as they can. Will adding a constant power requirement to shields help this issue? Yes. Will this one change also affect the balance of every other aspect of the game that uses power? Yes. If shields required power all the other defensive options are now thrown out the window because power management becomes a nightmare as well as thrust and weapons. Adding power requirement to shields means a complete rebalance of the power system.
    If you have to rip out shields, so will everyone else. If your ship can't even function with the shield induced power issues, its going to perform worse than it would if you removed some and put in a new effect system or something.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    So
    take them out BEFORE you attack someone lol

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well I have been playing around with the new weapons setup and I better appreciate it now. I just only have an issue with the range. I know that a beam slave will fix it, but it poses a problem under certain circumstances.

For example: I'm trying to make a rapid-fire weapon on a large ship for cutting through enemy hull. The beam weapons prove kind of useless since their range cuts off before they can converge on the target (there are two weapons on each side of the ship).

It would be neat if a weapon system could have more than one slave. ;)