Weapon discussion thread

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    So, what are your favorite combos? Things you think are funny, weird, etc... Post it here :D

I'll start: I find it weird that unless having a beam slaved to it that all amc cannons have the exact same range. That big artillery gun on that battleship has the same range as the tiny pea shooter on a fighter.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Well now that I can thoroughly discuss the new system without having to worry about the legalese, I find that having bombers with missile/pulse/ion systems is actually incredibly cost effective, if a bit manpower intensive. If an opponent doesn't immediately target the smaller ships instead of the larger one, then they'll be in for a surprise when their shields take five minutes worth of damage with an ion effect on it. That, and... Beam turrets look frickin' awesome!

Reaction score
    I tried to combine a salvage cannon with a AMC. The game crashed.
    Off to a great start!

(admittedly, I really should not have done that. It makes no sense)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I like how basic cannons are a lot slower now.

Does anyone know if you can recolor salvage/powerdrain/powersupply beams?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    guess Unnamed25 isn't a fan of the cannons being slower these days

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    i really like the idea of the new weaponsystem with all the possiblities, but i am dissapointed that old exploits still work and i already found a new one
    i have to do further testing ^^

greetings OMatic

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I'm almost done with a weapon rebalancing mod. Basically it makes each combo more unique.

Also cannons in the mod are 4x faster than speed limit, not 2x.

I also buffed the range of the beams from 400 (absolutely ridiculous) but nerfed the base damage a bit. So far it's coming along really well.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    i really like the idea of the new weaponsystem with all the possiblities, but i am dissapointed that old exploits still work and i already found a new one
    i have to do further testing ^^

greetings OMatic
    Do you want to share so it can be fixed, or are you passive-aggressively just being a douche?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I think the weapons system is actually very nice, but the power drain for missiles is an annoyance (I'd rather ammo or the way it used to be) and they shouldn't have touched the way the old shields used to work. Right now they're way way too powerful and undermine rapid fire weapons.

Reaction score
    @Com
    Do you want to share so it can be fixed, or are you passive-aggressively just being a douche?

in my opinion a public forum is not the right place for posting instructions to exploit. i already informed the devs an was told to post it on http://bugs.star-made.org
    which i will do soon

I already had fun testing the new weapons, cant wait to have some fights to see which combinations do the job

OMatic

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    @Com

in my opinion a public forum is not the right place for posting instructions to exploit. i already informed the devs an was told to post it on http://bugs.star-made.org
    which i will do soon

I already had fun testing the new weapons, cant wait to have some fights to see which combinations do the job

OMatic
    Alright, thanks. I apologize for being hostile.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not to be antagonistic, but I liked the antimatter cannons better the way they were before.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Not to be antagonistic, but I liked the antimatter cannons better the way they were before.
    I love the theory and I will love the practice once the bugs are sorted out. I can't wait to make autocannon turrets that fire at a good rate but not machine gun speeds. Currently the ratio system is bugged where you only get a benefit from being all or nothing. You want a stock gun or a 50:50 split.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I did some brief testing last night and found that my previously serviceable AMC (only) on a small ship now fires only one shot every 3-4 seconds due to long weapon cooldown. Power was not a problem, it was the weapon cooldown/recharge cycle. This was using the updated blockBehaviorConfig.xml file from Calbiri. I haven't had time to experiment further or try other ships/turrets.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I think that I'll start using missiles exclusively. Since my plans to make railgun type weapons (super fast projectiles) won't work because of the very low speed cap.... At least missiles can have a tracking ability, despite being stuck at 1km range if I opt for that option :(

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    lock on target missiles just circle around target never hitting it, and heatseaking missle mostly do the same.

Some of them sometimes hit something beocuse i had trade guild transmission when it hit a shop somewhere i was not aiming.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think that I'll start using missiles exclusively. Since my plans to make railgun type weapons (super fast projectiles) won't work because of the very low speed cap.... At least missiles can have a tracking ability, despite being stuck at 1km range if I opt for that option :(
    Good luck powering missile only ships. Power is linked directly to damage and since missiles are high damage their power requirements are absolutely insane.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Missiles tend to fit more storage-oriented power systems, giving a lot of breathing time between volleys for regeneration to fill up a large capacity as well as giving more emergency power in case you need to bring up a defensive effect module in a hurry.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Missiles tend to fit more storage-oriented power systems, giving a lot of breathing time between volleys for regeneration to fill up a large capacity as well as giving more emergency power in case you need to bring up a defensive effect module in a hurry.
    This also means that they don't work well with small ships then? Since power storage is an absolute joke at smaller scales. I can't wait for calbiri to implement the power storage change that was discussed yesterday.

Ps: If I actually do manage to power them you're all krakened :P