Warp Module

Reaction score
    I have some ideas for the warping itself. You pick a destinatin and the server is generating a way to it. Then the ship core have to calculate how to drive thrue all that

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello, i am on the warp drive side.. so a few thoughts for it:

I think it would be nice, if the warp would open a warp tunel for the ship. During the warp you would be in the tunel, manuvering the ship like normal(speed, strafe..). The size and stability of the tunel would depend on your warp core design.. So if you have poor warp core.. you would have to go slowly and carefully.. If your ship touches the side of the tunel, it would damage touching voxels and pushed you, and it could also destabilise the tunnel a bit(it would get smaller and less round, could have some moving bumps/waves). If you destabilise the tunnel too much, it would collapse, and you will spawn relative to your destination.. plus some random..

The length of the tunnel would be some % of the original distance to the target.. so you would fly throught it faster.

The tunnel would be created to a destination, so some kind of \"target\" would be needed. It could be a warp beacon.. witch would be a part of starbases.. (so you cannot go anywhere)

The warp core - it would have some rules for effective design, simmilar to power generator.. for example, the woxels of warp core would have to be away from power generatores / shields / weapons to increase stability. Count and positions would determine the size of the tunnel. Also the length of the tunnel could be afected by te quality of the core.

Start rules were already mentioned - depleted energy, starting speed in direction to target, spool up time.. anything.. also, warp core could use some fuel during the warp flight, so long warp would be more costly... pus bigger core needs more fuel..

In my opinion, i think also small ships should be able to use the warp

(During the flight the ship would not be in the normal universe but in its own \"minigame\")

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Personally, I like both gates and warp. (Frankly, just so I can make a Mass Relay XD), but gameplay wise, I like how the Halo series handles warping. How they do it is by making a slip space jump, essentially instead of teleporting or speeding through space, you go through slip space which is like a interspacial bypass. Of course you have to know where your going, or take a blind jump - which is really dangerous warp into a base, planet, star etc. etc. - doing so requires tremendous power, so a standard generator would not work unless your using a fighter, so it would take a lot of space and money to get one working. Even after the jump, it might take a while for your batteries to go back to full, leaving you vulnerable.

Also, if your drive gets shot, imagine a nuke exploding behind you.

lastly, for a minute or so, there will bea hole in slip space that your enemies can exploit. Even warp directly to your base!

It would be dangerous, really only worth going to places already known or suffer possible severe consequences.

Reaction score
    The idea in itself is interesting and would be great to see, but the programming required could take months and produce a lot of game breaking bugs (getting \"stuck\" in slipspace, re-entering inside a planet/asteroid/star, ETC.). I\'m not saying it wouldn\'t be worth it, but perhaps settle for a less refined version (such as the \"poof we\'re here\" way\") for now, and then bug everyone when the beta comes out?

Slipspace to me seems like something a Titan/Terminatus (my word for anything that makes a Titan look like a starter craft) ship would do (travelling up to 1:10 is kind of ridiculous for any ship), while Battleships/cruisers/carriers would use the \"poof we\'re here\" method, and finally the small fighters/mining vessels would be restricted to the gates for their travel needs.

This way it more of divides the ship classes even more than they are now. This would also give a greater reward for building bigger ships, since they can go virtually anywhere and do anything while the other players are left struggling to mine in the starter system.

Plus like the Nether, slipspace could have some cool things like pirate bases made out of nothing but L3-5 ores that are guarded by pirate Battleships or Titans. Making travel both dangerous, and rewarding for the courageous pilots who wish to explore. Why have a play space and not flesh it out into something cool?

These are just some thoughts on how to incorporate everyones ideas into one, I hope this kind of makes sense since I\'m dead tired right now.

Reaction score
    i just use the /change_sector command while driving my ship, it warps you, the ship you are in, and its turrets, and whatever is docked to it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    First of all, let me say I think the \'nether\' based warp idea is excellent.

What I was thinking is perhaps a combo of most of the above points. So a \'nether\' based area would exist. Let us call that hyperspace. In order to enter hyperspacae you must enter through a warp gate at a minimum speed. To slow and you\'ll just pass harmlessly through, although the gate will be drained / closed(See later).

Warp gates themselves can be found randomly throughout the galaxy as well as player made and act ONLY as entry points to hyperspace. They require significant power, dependent upon the mass of the ship that is passing through. Further to these gates, on ships larger enough to accommodate the bulk and power use, a kind of gate \'canon\' can be installed. This device would, when fired, create a gate x meters in front of the players ship which they may accelerate into to enter hyperspace. When fired these gates take all of the ships power and store it. At this point they act like a gate (with perhaps a timer before they expire to stop the server being littered by user \'fired\' gates. If the gate holds enough energy to send the ship into hyperspace it will, subtracting that energy from its total. If not all the energy will be used and the ship will pass through, closing the gate. This method will force players to think a lot about their power regen and thrust to ensure they reach a high enough velocity to enter hyperspace when passing through the gate. Secondly if players do not wish to be pursued then they will have to make sure they build a system which fires a gate holding the correct energy to correspond to their ships mass, otherwise the gate will remain open behind them.

This would also allow players to aid others by opening gates for smaller ally ships.

In hyperspace

Each ship would need a hyperspace propulsion system. The better the system the faster they would travel through hyperspace, in much the same way propulsion works now. Not good enough and you \'fall out\'. In much the same way as proposed before that so much distance in hyperspace corresponds to X times it in \'real\' space.

Navigating

I think you should manually navigate through hyperspace. Exiting it by slowing your ship below a threshold spawns you in the corresponding sector. This skill based system would also end up with over shoots, under shoots and \"accidently letting go of the \'w\' key\" - shoots :p and could lead to people exiting hyperspace in an unknown sector with no gate in sight. This would of course require some method of telling your relative position, but details :p

To stop \'warp by\'s (the process of entering an enemy sector, starting a fight, and running away), shields could be disabled once you enter hyperspace (no regen). Thus if you choose to flee from a battle by entering hyperspace, and the enemy pursues you, they\'ve got an even higher chance of finishing you off. Not to mention when you exit hyperspace you then have to wait for your shields to recharge, and perhaps your usual propulsion to re-ignite?

might not make much sense now its typed out, but in my head it does :p

Reaction score
    Love the idea of the player made gates idea. I think if that was fleshed out more there would be no need for physical gates out in the galaxy, but rather have them on ships (plus less clutter).

Another option could be that you require slipspace shielding otherwise your ship will be eaten like your flying into the sun. The shielding would be slowly eaten away so that there would be a limit to how far you could go in slipspace before damage occurs. Of course large behemoths could load up their ships with both kinds of shielding so they could travel far and defend themselves. You could even just dumb this down and give regular shields the drain when you enter slipspace. Thus fighters could only travel say 5-10 sectors, while the behemoths can travel 40+ making organized and effective attacks on enemy factions a very long, and planned process.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Idk if someone has said this (cuz im on my tablet and far to lazy to read all the posts) but I think that it should require amount of energy dependent on the size of ship and distance to be traveled. Also the amount of enchancers you add to it would speed up the transit as well as make it cost slightly less power. Also the transit would not be instant and would not require warmup and cooldown... for example If u were going a total of 10 sectors it would cost lets say 40% of your total power per second of transit and would take like 2 min to travel that far. (This being with no enchancers) with lets say 100 enchancers however it would take lets say 30% of your total power and maybe 1 min and 30 sec. This makes it so u cant just move across the galaxy instantly and a decent power penalty.

Reaction score
    i agree about the exploring part thats why you shpuld have to have 2 gates paint a and point b the furether the gates the higher chance of ship being destroyed or something like that lol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the idea of having a ship-based warp system. Although just having a single core in the centre would be kinda hard to damage. Perhaps the core could be in the centre, and connected to extender modules on the extremeties of the ship? That way, if the extender modules are damaged or destroyed it could reduce a ship\'s warp capacity.

And also, to avoid massive titan class ships warping to a base and destroying it, perhaps it could be made necessary to send a scout first which could act as like a jump beacon for a fleet?

Reaction score
    make the warp core and enhancers create a docking thing around your ship where you have tp fit in it.

Reaction score
    the idea of warp/hyper drive technology long predates eve online. the concept is as old as space-based science fiction itself, right back to Star wars and Startreck.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here are the options discussed here. No merits or details mentioned.

- Static jump gates linking systems (Eve, etc..)

- Ship based FTL drive (Star Trek, Star Wars)

- Ship based Jump drive (Battlestar Galactica)

Here\'s the one I like, which I don\'t see discussed

- Base based dynamic gate (Babylon 5), bases can open/maintain/close a gate to a sector