Warp Module

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Personally I would favor if gameplay was such by default(i.e.: speedcaps modifications which could favor \"lighter\" ships in being faster than \"heavier\" or more \"ponderous\" designs).

But again, like said, they hinge on the use of customized settitng which might not represent the \"default\" gameplay(even if currently it\'s design which, in my eyes, entirely favor \"gigantism\"-driven ships concepts annoy me).

Reaction score
    But still servers do have limits so something designed to \"break\" that limit could cause some problems (such as the ship being capped off). I have yet to find a server that doesn\'t have a km/h limit, so thats where i\'m coming from.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, I myself am in the both category as well. Warpgates could be convenient for fighters that can\'t fit warp cores in them. However, said warpgates would most likely not be able to hold some of the capital ships that people make, making it a good idea for there to be a way to install a warp system on their ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Amusingly, that\'s exactly how hyperspace worked for the Vaygr faction in Homeworld 2 :)

Well, somewhat.
    More or less, fighters and corvettes were unable to jump in hyperspace by themselves, but where able to make use of small hyperspace gates which could be deployed and linked together for instant travel.
    Similarly, only capital ship where able to make hyperspace jump of their own(at a cost) but were too large to fit in the small gates.
    However, many capital ships(carriers and battleships with strikcraft hangars) could carry fighters inside them when jumping to area which were not linked by gates, as an alternative mean for fighters to travel faster than light(by being carried by a larger ship with docks).

Meanwhile, smaller fighters and such remained much faster than the larger cumbersome capital ships.... but lacked their hyperspace capabilities since they depended on either large carrier or fixed gates in this regard.

Reaction score
    the best way to limit FTL travel and to create a limitation is to add in a built in build up, FTL jump and cool down phase.

*Build up

-have a warp core that will need to charge to x amount (this which require very large power plants), once the core is charged than you can move to the FTL.

-canceling a Build up will automatically move you into the cool down phase.

*FTL jump: (whatevery is set in your navigation waypoint(if there is a faction or public beacon than you will hit your mark), I really enjoyed the new BSG FTL effect.

-first a in order to jump to specific sector you must have a waypoint beacon to lock onto.

--Waypoint Beacon block can be set to set with a faction module to make the beacon private, without a factions module everyone can use it. To set one will require a station module to be set. To increase the range of the Beacon you will need to set the range and add enough power to keep it transmitting.

-you can do a blind jump than the jump to that sector base on distance will throw you off some amount base off of percentage and you will take damage.

*cool down

-the cool down occurs to are stabilize the space around and dissipate the warp field around you. Basically what is happening is the warp core is discharging at a fix rate(say 2 minutes), at which point the power system will not engage until the warp core is completely dissipated. Which mean the shield has no shields and not energy weapons.

This keeps the system simpler, add built-in balancing not introducing too many new item to become overall complicated.

new items needed: Warp core black, Waypoint beacon block and a nice FTL effect.

Other blocks: radar block, FTL detector block and a siren(Alarm) block

Reaction score
    They are a great idea for fast and accurate transport to designated sectors (such as bases or shops) but to incur damage from a blind jump? That\'s just stupid. Why would you only be able to travel to beacons without taking damage? Does your ships rip in two if you are not familiar with your surroundings? Do your systems suddenly decide they dislike the travel route and deside they are getting off? However if you take damage from running into an asteroid upon entry, that is fine. The randomness of a blind jump is good (longer blind jumps may put you furthur from the sector you wish to land in), and I fully support that bit. 2 minutes for your systems to come online seems a bit long, seeing as 15 seconds gives a fighter with decent weapons a fighting chance to get at your core. Also the build up/cool down thing is already agreed on... but the cancellation cool down makes sense and hasn\'t been said before, so again I support that. The added blocks seem kind of bulky since you can just add the jump warning onto the HUD which would tell you where the jump is entering around you, as well as would they need to be used like a gravity block? Where once they are activated they work for an area and then you need to add another one. The FTL effect sounds like a cool idea though and would like to see peoples opinions on what it would look like (personally a star trek/star wars star pull would look awesome). I\'d love to see some of your ideas incorporated into the FTL system.

Reaction score
    You have all been talking about things like jumping to warp speed and warp gate and how size of gates may cause problems why do you take an exsample from mass effect .

insted of flying through a ring to move really fast or adding a warp core witch is basically the same as hitting the highest possible speed in the game just have launch core with power blocks on a space station or on a deadicated facilaty with the amount of power determining how far a ship can be slingshoted to the linked relay this relay would also do the same task on the other side and can be faction locked so you could have it at a shop and have one on your base of operations so you can develop it quicker and so on.

Reaction score
    And you would just teleport to the relay so you don\'t crash into an unforeseen ship or planet or any kind of object.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I support both jump gates and drives, but I think that drives shouldn\'t be too expensive nor hard to get. The game is large, and the need to travel quickly is great. Any ship should be able to mount a drive, which allows you to jump to any coordinate within your solar system (16 x 16 x 16 sectors). Within each system, there should be a gate. This gate would allow you to travel to other systems, with no consequence to your ship. Drives, on the other hand, should drain your power for at least 10 seconds after completing your jump. However, ships should not be limited by slow power regeneration and should regain full power almost instantaniously. Shields should charge as normal, though.

*Drives: Should be a single, somewhat inexpensive block where a logical price is around 150k. With a little work, it\'s more than achievable. Easy travel to any sector in your system. Ships would go into a warp menu, select a sector, and warp to it. The drive spools up, the ship must align to the destination, and then, poof, they\'re off.

*Gates: For longer travel, and of course one way system travel with a similar menu as a warp drive. These allow one to go anywhere with no consequence to their own ship. Players should also be able to build gates, at a hefty price of course. With a faction module they would be for your faction only, however, player made gates can be destroyed.

With easy to get drives, of course, people could discover your base quite easily. A warp drive should have a cool down of at least 2 1/2 minutes. Stations should also be able to mount a module that detects neutral/hostile ships if they are in jump to your sector.

Reaction score
    Drives are almost pointless considering if you hit max speed you can get anywhere close range of the ship of a few mins

gates are good for long distances but like I said in a earlier post flying though a ring/gate but insted a flyby where you press a key to jump similer to shops but you have to fly closer than you would with a shop and the best bit of this is the gate can be smaller than the ship and size of the relay only relates to the distance it can slingshot a ship (size relation being power cores and the amount of power available ect)

Reaction score
    Also if you had drives people could end up slamming into objects at REALLY high speeds

hitting a ship at speeds of around 20 causes you both ricochet off drastically imagine what speeds of over 200 would do.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Drives aren\'t pointless at all unless your server max speed is 250+. A system is 16 x 16 x 16, and there are more systems than I care to count. 16 x 16 x 16 is a big place, infact, a huge place. Each sector is 2k-5k apart if my memory serves correct. Thats a lot of ground, and if your base is under attack and you\'re more than a few sectors away, by the time you get there your base would cease to exist and the attackers would be long gone.

Reaction score
    That is a very good point but having a drive tha allows you to jump anywhere wether it be in combat or near a shop would give you too much power, no matter the power consumption or charge time and that\'s the cool thing with relays you have to get there first and that\'s one of the coolest things about the game is the whole concept that if you need to retreat you still need have the speed ,shields and armor to get to the closest shop or your warp relay.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    What if you could only jump to gates, unless you had a beacon of some sort that has to be deployed. Then, the need for scouting would be big and it wouldn\'t be \"everywhere anytime\". You\'d have to get your light ships to, guess what, scout. Think of it as a cyno from EVE, except you and everyone else can only jump to cynos and gates.

TGS

Reaction score
    I love the ideas here save for the \"instant\" fast travel... I cannot stand in games where you magically poof from one point to another with no transition inbetween. I\'m all for \"FTL\" travel but it should still be that... TRAVEL. Magically popping from point a to point b isn\'t traveling. Even with spooling... not travel. It\'s poofing from one point to another.

I would prefer a system similar to the nether in minecraft but call it hyperspace. Where you \"warp\" into another dimension and one sectors travel in that dimension is 5 sectors in real space. That would actually add a lot of potential strategic elements to things as well as making it still require travel. That way it isn\'t simply \"OMG you are going really fast\" or \"Poof yay we\'re here\".

This could be made in a way that gravity wells or mass shadows from real space always effect hyperspace. But hyperspace could have different \'degrees\' and there could be layers of it so that a not so good hyperdrive you get 1:2 sector movement a good hyperdrive you can get up to 1:5 and a really really good you get up to 1:10 or something. (IE 1 sectors travel actually moves you 10 sectors) but you\'d have to dodge bigger mass shadows. So all those asteroids and stuff would be really hard to dodge and if you didn\'t dodge them you\'d be pulled back to real space in the sector that said shadow existed.

Edit: That being said. That doesn\'t mean there shouldn\'t still be the ability to construct gates for people who don\'t have hyperdrives. That way hyperdrives could be a very expensive system that only capital ships had or wealthy people. Basically unless you had a crapload of money you wouldn\'t have a hyperdrive on a fighter because a fighter can be lost easily and losing a hyperdrive capable craft would be very costly to replace.

Reaction score
    because of the law of mathmatics that if a/b = a/c then b=c, and the fact that a/0=infinity(undifined) and a/infinity=infinity(undifined), 0=infinity. this means that if you take no time, you take infinite time, so physics survives because of SCIENCE (and math). also we are sure that FTL is possible, though difficult and would require possibly more energy than exists in the universe, incuding matter. (energy=mass*speed of light in a vaccum^2) this also is the whole \"if you reach the speed of light, your mass condenses into smaller and smaller areas until you are a singulatiry.\" thing. so dangerous, yes. difficult, yes. improbable, yes. impossible, no.

Reaction score
    maybe we should have the shops also function as the warp gates (why else would they be a huge rod?) and stuff them with power instead of just grey hull (that you can\'t get, grrr.) then, useing a tab in the shop screen, you can pay a toll to reach any other shop that has been generated thus far. make it so that you can craft, from materials found only on pirate stations (and only one that has a chance to spawn to make it interesting), a warp core that can warp to any shop without paying the trading guild toll, but at a substancial power cost. maybe make it so that you can make smaller gates from a block you can get in the shop, but that the toll is higher and they cannot get you items.

Edit: maybe also have the smaller gates be able to receive ships, but drain them in addition to the toll in credits. maybe make the toll grow in relation to distance, either geometricly or exponetially.

Reaction score
    I think it would be a good idea to have Hyperspace inhibitor blocks that would block enemy ships from hyperspacing directly into your base . This would keep 20 enemy ships from warping in all at once and destroying it without warning.

Reaction score
    i would like the ability of a limited jump-drive, limited to a few sectors jump with very high energy costs.

also the idea of playerdame \"stargates\" like on your factions homebase, where you can travel very fast to other gates of your faction

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Any ship should be able to use either a warp module or a warp gate but both have avantages and disadvantages.

Warp gates are quite common but not enough for you to go anywhere you want. They have a limitation in number (one each x sector), can be controlled by a faction (including pirates), arent always free, a ship too big wont fit (for obvious reasons).

Jump modules are quite available but a single one wont let you travel the same distance as a gate, it requires a load time (that can be shortened for quick escape jumps which are dangerous due to computer potential miscalculations), it has a cool down before you can use it safely again, you need more and better modules the faster and longer you want to travel (but can be cheaper than gates if you keep your ship in a single piece long enough).