• others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    We were having a discussion about this in chat just now

Basically, Link missile computer to a storage
    And the storage is fill with warheads
    When one missile fires, one warhead is used.

Additionaly:
    Forge_Meiser : if that storage gets hit, depending on how many warheads were in it, the bigger the explosion radius.

me : warhead storage module can link to wireless block, and wireless block link to storage in main entity for reload

==========Edit@09:46(GMT+8)==========
    I summarized the replies for this 3 kind of missile
    1.)keep the current energy missile, but reduce damage and increase energy use
    2.)warhead is used in current energy missile, to increase damage and reduce energy use
    3.)warhead missile module, can set use how many warhead at one missile, extremely powerful, use a little bit of energy only

so 1 do not use warhead
    2 use 1 warhead per missile
    3 use multi warheads per missile

Last edited:

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    This sounds like a cool idea, it would be kinda annoying to reload your storage though. Might be a good thing on the other hand, if someone makes a doom-cube shooting missiles everywhere it would have to reload after a bit! >=D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I agree with this and want it strongly, I would like to see stronger solid ammunition weaponry as opposed to the AMC pew pews, they would go acceptionally well with capital class ships.
    This would be rather balanced with the suggested reworked aiming system.

Perhaps instead of being slow like missiles they could move much faster allowing for what I would like to personally use for MAC cannons.

I would also suggest that instead of just warheads different blocks may be loaded to represent different ammunition types such as solid ammunition slugs using different types of armour blocks, with standard doing the least damage to Advanced having the most kinetic energy. The power consumption should be very high as well as the reload time depending on the width and length of the barrel, this way it may also effect the speed at which the projectile flies.

This sounds like a cool idea, it would be kinda annoying to reload your storage though. Might be a good thing on the other hand, if someone makes a doom-cube shooting missiles everywhere it would have to reload after a bit! >=D
    I have an idea, we use rails to switch storage bins once ammunition is expended, a sort of autoloading system if you will. An autoloading system like this would also be useful for switching ammo types on the fly.

Reactions: kiddan

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This would go a long way towards balancing swarm missiles and associated missile spam, particularly once we get a cargo overhaul. Definite support.

Mines should also cost warheads, once they're added.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Simply put, here's the idea:

let's say you have a gigantic ship with missile turrets.
    -the idea is you have a storage crate on your main ship (not-a-turret)
    inside this crate is 90 warheads.
    -the missile turrets pull warheads from this crate to fire. (essentially ammo for missile weapons. This can be done with the marker tool.)
    -if your ship takes fire, and the storage gets hit, the storage block explodes. depending on how many were inside, a bigger (and more deadly)
    -explosion is made. (for example: 1 warhead = current warhead radius. 100 = 100 radius.)

potential upsides:
    -you could target storage units to hurt enemy combatants severely.
    -boarding parties become of some use (assuming mechanics were added)
    -warheads now are better use, as people could use that radius to advantage in ramming ships, man-made mines, etc.
    -warheads must be easier to manufacture.

-downsides:
    -missile turrets become less popular among combatants.
    -missiles require more resources- possibly making warheads a much lower-tier item and much easier to manufacture.
    -nullifies use of power requirements for turrets (both good and bad, but mostly bad, since this is a really big part of overhaul.)
    -new players might find a missile turret very hard to construct, since they might not know the game had ammo mechanics.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I support this all the way, especially since with the new HP system missiles seem to be king. It'll make firing missiles more of a tactical decision and less of something that you just do as much as possible with as many missiles as possible, and will provide an excellent consumable item that isn't annoying (since it doesn't interfere with basic spaceship operation - that's my main condition for whether or not a given consumable is a good idea.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good start, i honestly would like to see requiered consumables for ships anways, aka Fuel and Ammo.

Reaction score
    Sounds like a workable idea. Too bad warheads can't be made more reliable and functional so that 'hardware' torpedoes can be a somewhat expensive but effective weapon capable of crippling ships several hundred times more massive than the torpedo.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    This would be a great balance against the currently OP-as-fuck missiles we have. It would also make hand-built torpedoes worth using.

I fully support this.

I also support the idea of other weapons being able to use ammo as a shot modifier - say, warheads for explosive radius boosts, different kinds of hull blocks for deeper penetration (up to +50% punchthrough efficiency, so a punch cannon with 100% punch effect using advanced armor as ammo would have no damage cut per destroyed block, allowing it to go all the way through a ship, for instance).

Ammo as a requirement for missiles and as a modifier for other weapons would very much help to balance combat against the economy, and smaller bomber type ships would suddenly be a viable combat option.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    -explosion is made. (for example: 1 warhead = current warhead radius. 100 = 100 radius.)
    Linear radius scaling might be a bad idea, in the case of this example 2 warheads would hit 8 times the volume of 1 warhead and 4 warheads would hit 8 times the volume yet again g 2 warheads (64 times the volume of 1 warhead). This leads to obvious problems as the damage is scaling exponentially.

Also in terms of the general idea if missiles need ammo do they need energy? because last I checked it doesn't take any electricity to fire a bullet, and negligible amounts to launch a missile. I do think that this could be an interesting system, I just don't think that missiles are quite OP enough to merit such a hard nerf. Everyone seems to have so quickly forgotten that the last weapon update we all hated was a direct result of nerfing one weapon to make others viable.

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I've not played around with warheads all that much so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they ignore shields yes? If so then hardware torpedos will be the best solution for small craft such as fighters to deal with capital class ships without the need to nerf anything greatly.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I've not played around with warheads all that much so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they ignore shields yes? If so then hardware torpedos will be the best solution for small craft such as fighters to deal with capital class ships without the need to nerf anything greatly.
    Nope. They don't ignore shields at all.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That leads to rampant griefing problems.
    There will be greifing no matter what. I'm simply thinking of ways to make combat better and more than just two big ships butting heads together, from what I've read around here actual PvP combat is almost non-existant and from what little there is it's not very fun or varied. I'd like strike craft to actually have a reason to be used and no strike craft will be able to get through any capital class ships with however million shields.
    What kind of griefing do you mean?

Perhaps I'm just not as effected by griefing as others.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    When one missile fires, one warhead is used.
    what if I want to use more to pack more damage?

This can also give way to other weapon types. You know, like this and what we have now. We can call what we have now as "plasma missiles" and this replacing as the standard missile.
    There can also be, like, cannon rounds. Physical cannon rounds being able to puncture through shields and hit the block directly but extremely expensive.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    what if I want to use more to pack more damage?

This can also give way to other weapon types. You know, like this and what we have now. We can call what we have now as "plasma missiles" and this replacing as the standard missile.
    There can also be, like, cannon rounds. Physical cannon rounds being able to puncture through shields and hit the block directly but extremely expensive.
    Perhaps larger launchers require more warheads to simulate larger rounds being fired.

I also completly agree with having solid ammo slugs to punch through shields and hull.

Reaction score
    As i am still the only vote against this, here is why:
    -One warhead per missile? So big missiles with slow fire rate use still only one as do fast firing swarmers?
    -Ammo + power, just ammo? That would be a balance nightmare.
    -Turrets with missiles? That idea with the wireless sounds just tedious.
    -Right now missiles are op because anti missile turrets do not work as good as they should.
    -Also, i don't see how the need to have an additional storage block (that would still be small compared to the weapon systems) can have any major balance influence after warhead supply is set.

Ammunition some day in the future? Yes ...now to counterbalance missiles? No

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'd rather have a proper method to shoot warheads (not these glitchy push beams that don't work half as well for this as needed). That would be all we'd need to make warheads useful, because reloading magazines already are possible with rails.

Missiles should be balanced in the same fashion as the other power-only weaponry, and warheads should gain a use as limited-ammo extremely powerful torpedoes/bombs.