Volumetric Reactors: A Comprehensive Alternative Proposal Power System™ [Updooted!]

What is your impression of this suggestion?

• I like it exactly as stated.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • I feel it's potentially overpowered.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I would abuse this by artificially expanding the dimensions of my ship by using deactivated plexdoors, and if that was taken away, I would place a block way out in space far away from my ship to get the same result. Perhaps instead of ship dimension, something else would work, mass or block count maybe?

Kimiro

Metacreative Construct / Existentialist
    Reaction score
    I would abuse this by artificially expanding the dimensions of my ship by using deactivated plexdoors, and if that was taken away, I would place a block way out in space far away from my ship to get the same result. Perhaps instead of ship dimension, something else would work, mass or block count maybe?
    Working on that - it came up a little earlier in the thread. Also re-balancing the extreme upper end away from the absolutely obscene amount of power possible.
    I'd like to avoid relying on mass, since that favors heavier blocks (i.e. armor), so whatever the solution is it will probably involve block count, with perhaps reactor size limited to an arbitrary percentage of the total blocks on the vessel or the current limit, whichever is smaller. The tricky part will be finding a limiter that doesn't severely cripple ships that are intentionally "gossamer" for their size class while still preventing, as much as is possible, the WhiskerCube(tm) scenario.

Thanks for the feedback though. More brains can help sometimes. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I apologize. I read the op then skimmed the thread. I missed that point, my bad:oops:

Kimiro

Reaction score
    I apologize. I read the op then skimmed the thread. I missed that point, my bad:oops:
    Nah, don't be sorry. It's good to have a sanity check on that since I realized the potential for that to be abused. :)

Reaction score
    New Idea- Called Volume Percentage System or VPS.

Reactor ship dimensions are based on the planes(Geomitry Plane) in each dimension when x(90-99.9 or whatever)% of he ship's mass(MPS), or the ship's volume(VPS), is on one side of the plane. This applies in all directions. The distance between the planes of each axis added together is the "ship size" and is what reactor size is based off of.
    [doublepost=1487121736,1487121670][/doublepost]
    Come! Understand!:coffee:
    Dis thing, but the numbers might be off.
    I. Perhaps instead of ship dimension, something else would work, mass or block count maybe?
    Interesting proposal but... I'm going to run some number and see what I can come up with.
    What's the numbers?

Kimiro

Reaction score
    Dis thing, but the numbers might be off.
    Still crunching my numbers on this, but the solution is similar.
    What's the numbers?
    Trying to work it out so the reactor is limited to your dimension sum OR your block count relative to volume, whichever is smaller.

So if you have a 31x21x14 ship (Dim-66) comprised of 1,823 blocks , your reactor is the smaller of:
    • 66/8 = 8 (2x2x2)
    • 1,823/9,114 x 100 = 20 (max cubic is a 6x6x6)
    With a 135x32x67 ship (Dim-234) comprised of 79,600 blocks, your reactor is the smaller of:
    • 234/8 = 29 (max cubic is 9x9x9)
    • 79,600/289,440 x 100 = 29 (same as above)
    Still working out the exact formula it'll use though (probably involve a conditional statement in there...).

Edit: I've got it. Updating the OP once I work out the adjusted power formulas derived from the reactors.

Last edited: