VolksSchiff

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You should release it, WiP's can be interesting to look at, and some people may be willing to improve them :p

You could steer/move to the side with a docked entity that has a push beam.
    that's the part I am experimenting on right now.
    though it will only be good working for planets and stations, anything that doesn't move.
    also I am trying to come up with a good turret drop system or something, but I haven't been able to come up with a good idea.
    only idea is dropping turrets on planets, but the change that you are going to battle at a specific place that has a planet is super rare.
    together with that you need to get there faster than the opponent.

anyone has some request they want me to make? or just a suggestion. i'm kinda out of inspiration and that drone is nearly useless now.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I added my new clock. I also have a 10Hz version of it attached to this post. It's a bit odd, before I was using flipflop overclocking like everyone else, but with my small clock I discovered activator overclocking. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Flipflops can take any number of simultaneous inputs, so when a flipflop clock fails and synchronizes, it still kind of works. Unfortunately they also half the inputs going into them. Activators don't half their inputs, but they don't handle synchronization quite as well.

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    So, I had this idea: What if you made a cruise control ship with the pulses and such but on top of that had a slower clock to every so often drop a ship or drone or something off of the ship leaving a trail of ships deployed all over the place. A large amount of these could also be sent with some super-turreted cruise control ships timed to launch the drones / arrive at a station or planet at the same so you could just afk in a ship for a few hours and when you log on your in a ship next to a ruined station

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    The only problem with that is the pirates keep spawning if attacking a pirate station and if you're attacking a player owned station they are quite likely to nuke you out of the sky.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    So, I had this idea: What if you made a cruise control ship with the pulses and such but on top of that had a slower clock to every so often drop a ship or drone or something off of the ship leaving a trail of ships deployed all over the place. A large amount of these could also be sent with some super-turreted cruise control ships timed to launch the drones / arrive at a station or planet at the same so you could just afk in a ship for a few hours and when you log on your in a ship next to a ruined station
    Cruise control is very possibly and occasionally I use it to aid in the mobility of slower ships.
    Dropping stuff off is possible, but as said before it's not very probable.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    So after the holy grail of high frequency, usable signal and lag resistance I reworked the VSExpandable clock idea to try and be more resistant to lag. Seems good so far. It's made it though a couple auto-saves and large entity loadings without synchronization.

javaw 2015-10-11 21-46-32-97.png

The rotator set-up is the same as before, mirrored on the other side. Instead of a single 90 degree rotation the rotators keep turning though. The left side is triggered to rotate off the slowest speed rotator which rotates constantly. The right side is triggered off the output from the left sides fastest (rear) rotator. This causes the right side to start rotating when the left fastest one stops. With the two rotator banks timing offset the output of one side comes in right as there is a pause in the output of the other side giving continuous output. Since both sides cannot internally synchronize and the right side is timed off the output of the first it should not be able to synchronize either or at least self-recover if it does.
    The only operational errors I've noticed so far are; starting the thing while still loading the sector - not good, solution; patience. Tabbing out of StarMade for long periods seemed to cause the rotators to all stall right as tabbing back in - not reproducible now, meh.
    Just too damn many entities.

Give it a go, poke some holes in it, I think it's a pretty result good overall.

Attachments

Reaction score
    Could you please design a really fast logic clock? (Like ~16 activation per second) I need it for my project, which needs a clock that works on that speed, and I'm not so good on logic myself.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Could you please design a really fast logic clock? (Like ~16 activation per second) I need it for my project, which needs a clock that works on that speed, and I'm not so good on logic myself.
    I can, but it became so powerful that the design became classified and only use for special occasions, it has an output of about 1500 signals in 10 seconds, a too powerful design to hand out, I recommend you to use the concept of instant signals

Reaction score
    I can, but it became so powerful that the design became classified and only use for special occasions, it has an output of about 1500 signals in 10 seconds, a too powerful design to hand out, I recommend you to use the concept of instant signals
    Could you at least give me some tips on how to make it? What are instant signals? I'm a noob in logic as I said, I can barely recreate Jaskinal's small clock.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Calm down Cookie, I made a 70 tick/s (so a little under half that speed) during a slow lunch :p. At this point we can honestly make clocks as arbitrarily fast as we want.

Last edited:

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Two questions, just so I get everything right with it.
    Is there a size constraint?
    Do you need the pulses to be evenly done? (basically, everything would be 1/16th of a second apart vs slightly different intervals)

Reaction score
    Would be nice if it would have been under 12 wide, 12 high, and 40 long if thats doable, and it needs to be at 1/16th of a second apart. Thank you for your time.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Would be nice if it would have been under 12 wide, 12 high, and 40 long if thats doable, and it needs to be at 1/16th of a second apart. Thank you for your time.
    I made one 5x5x4 for you. It's not quite even, but it would take thousands of activators, and an equal amount of time to get it to be exact.

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Could you at least give me some tips on how to make it? What are instant signals? I'm a noob in logic as I said, I can barely recreate Jaskinal's small clock.
    if you still want to know, think of a logic activation block connected to an or-gate, when you activate the logic activation block, the or-gate activates immediately, doesn't it? well no, the instant pulse you observed wasn't quite that instant, there is a tiny mini delay of like 0.01 second or something, you can abuse this is ways i have not found limits with. for more information go to here:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/instant-pulses-and-some-starmades-logic-details.8117/
    or ask Olxinos for more information.

Calm down Cookie, I made a 70 tick/s (so a little under half that speed) during a slow lunch :p. At this point we can honestly make clocks as arbitrarily fast as we want.
    there is, a limit, you would not expect, but there is.
    unless you have a super server/computer, the processor will be the limit of the amount of signals you can get in a short time..... if you get what i mean

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    there is, a limit, you would not expect, but there is.
    unless you have a super server/computer, the processor will be the limit of the amount of signals you can get in a short time..... if you get what i mean
    Well yeh, for my pc that limit starts around 1 kHz and ends at 2.5 kHz.

Reactions: HolyCookie

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    if you still want to know, think of a logic activation block connected to an or-gate, when you activate the logic activation block, the or-gate activates immediately, doesn't it? well no, the instant pulse you observed wasn't quite that instant, there is a tiny mini delay of like 0.01 second or something, you can abuse this is ways i have not found limits with. for more information go to here:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/instant-pulses-and-some-starmades-logic-details.8117/
    That's not completely correct, what I was talking about in this topic is a side-effect of how starmade computes logic (or at least, how I think it does since I don't have the code, but it's consistent with my observations) which can lead to surprising results at first.
    I'll try to summarize what I wanted to explain in this topic:

The idea is that starmade tries to stabilize the whole circuit each time a state changes. In other words, the propagation of logic states is (supposed to be) instantaneous. There are three problems with that approach though:
    1 - some gates must flip states multiple times when Starmade stabilizes the logic states
    2 - it makes it harder to see races conditions
    3 - some circuits are kind of degenerated and don't have any stable state

The first one is what gives birth to what I called "instant pulses". They actually really are "instantaneous" (I mean, if we consider "in game time") as Starmade tries to stabilize the circuit in one go, but they exist nonetheless.
    For instance this circuit (omitting the top flip-flop which is only here to "detect the instant pulse"):
    http://starmadedock.net/attachments/starmade-screenshot-0022-png.12867
    has two stable states:
    - if the button is off, the activation module is off and the flip-flop is off
    - if the button is on, the activation module is on and the flip-flop is also off (that flip-flop is always off in the stable states)
    However, when you push the button, the flip-flop turns on (because of the button) then turns off (because of the activation module) during the stabilization step. That's what I call an "instant signal" and why the top flip-flop flips its state when you push the button.

The second one is basically saying that when you push the button in the aforementioned circuit you don't see the bottom flip-flop turning on at all: Starmade treats that as instantaneous, it only updates the image once the circuit has reached a stable state, even if your computer was awfully slow it would just freeze while Starmade computes the stable state of the circuit (and it wouldn't display the bottom flip-flop turning on)
    However, when Starmade computes the stable state it actually "thinks": "Oh the button turned on! hence both the activation module and the flip-flop(bottom) turns on! Wait, if the activation module turned on, the flip-flop must flip its state, so it's actually off now! Oh I have nothing else to do, this is a stable state, I'm finished, yay". Theoretically there's some kind of "chronological order of signals" in each of those stabilization steps and sometimes you have to take it into account to understand why a circuit works the way it does, but it's hidden.

The third one is certainly the most bothersome (and actually, it involves the part I haven't written yet):
    Starmade tries to compute something which might not even exist! Think of a Not gate connected to itself for instance, such a circuit can't reach a stable state. However you can build such circuits in Starmade and of course the game isn't allowed to freeze forever thinking "the not gate is on, so it's off, so it's on, so it's off...".
    That's why Starmade chose a quite radical solution to cope with those troublesome circuits: don't take into account any retroaction loop in a single stabilization step.
    ...of course, delay blocks doesn't count as they trigger another stabilization step 0.5s later (and it's exactly why sometimes there's no way around delays if you want something small).

The main reason why I talked about this is because sometimes a circuit shows strange results and you can't figure out why. Most of the time, it's due to these things (for instance a signal is slightly "late", which was the case in my first "xor" example).
    It turns out that understanding why and when these problems happen can help you reducing the number of delay blocks in your circuits to make them faster ("in game time" I mean) and/or designing them differently (it can also be used as a more potent "input protection" as when a circuit stabilizes, the game is basically frozen, nobody can push another button).

However, instant pulses can't be used to time things: their duration is either 0s ("in game time") or something uncontrollable depending of your computer and Starmade's load ("real time").

Last edited:

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The way I think about it is each iteration/evaluation step over a logic circuit is 'depth'.
    If something that is trying to activate the logic is equal (in some circumstances, eg flip-flops) or lower depth it will work, if it is higher however it wont (prevents later parts of the circuit doubling back).

For example the above scenario, button is depth 1.
    Flip-Flop is depth 2
    Activator is depth 2
    Activator activates Flip-flip, which now becomes depth 3
    flip-flop flips the next one, which is depth 4

So according to this scenario:
    The activator cannot affect the button.
    The first FF can't affect the activator or button.
    The second FF can't affect anything.

Or if we go with the classic FF tick multiplier:
    Signal in -> depth 1 (+whatever the signal came from)
    The 4 Activators are depth 2
    FF is depth 3 and gets hit with multiple state changes from the activators (4 on signals).

Heres another simple demonstrator of a tick/signal multiplier:

The far left activator activates that row of activators and nots.
    They all feed into another activator, which then feeds into a counter.
    When the circuit is activated (depth 1) it activates the nots & activators (depth 2)
    These nots & activators then go about their business flipping the counter activator (depth 3) to their hearts content (5 ons, 5 offs).
    The counter activator starts spewing its on/off signal as fast as it can at the counter flip flop (depth 4) which cascades down the line.

All honkey dory so far, the counter jumps up by 5.

Now where it gets interesting is branching logic and race conditions (I'm sure a few starmade logic enthusiasts can write papers on this).
    Pretty much it depends on the order the branches get evaluated as to whether or not another branch can effect another (or a combined output) down the line.
    If one branch sets the depth to say 3, but then a branch comes along that is depth 5, well that aint gonna work.
    But if depth 5 gets in first depth 3 can merrily do its thing.
    Good luck predicting which one wins at any given time however ;)