VolksSchiff

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive

I've been playing with these two circuits for a while, but I felt like sharing them in laymen would be helpful.
    These are basically circuits to count in binary, half adders have two inputs and full adders have three inputs.
    Read more in this post.
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/volksschiff.8648/page-3#post-252974
    This one fires at 5Hz. But it can be expanded to accommodate any frequency.
    http://starmadedock.net/content/vs-expandable-clock.3067/

It works by having the rotors spin at different speeds initially to get an even delay (see Expandable Clock to read more detailed information). I like this one because it uses no delay blocks, so it has a higher tolerance to server lag, but if it lags too bad, it will still fail and have to be reset to function properly.
    The reason I put the four outputs (the two activators on the right *below* the clock and the two flipflops on the left, also *below* the clock) was to indicate which one had the highest speed. It appears that the activator on the bottom right of the picture produces the most ticks per second. It does come with a cost though, because it takes a second to start working, while the flipflop takes half a second.
    The rotors I used before rotated at 90 degrees, which was giving me trouble because I either had to cut the speed back, or to try to use some weird delays. I got around this by having the rotors rotate at 135 degrees; just enough to allow a button to turn off.
    If you have any questions, ask below.
    I made a small clock. It fires ~4 times a second.
    http://starmadedock.net/content/volksschiff-small-clock.3062/

It basically works in a spiral pattern, each button activates the next rail in the sequence. Normally you cant make clocks that well with 45 degree incriments at full speed because it's just too fast. When you stack them though you get their collective time, meaning that the clock takes exactly a full second to get to its *original* state. Activators are funny in that they just record the last input, so it takes half a second to start because all of the buttons going into the activator are turning on, but after that half second buttons start turning off, turning it off and on fairly quickly.
    If you have questions, ask below.
    This is my expandable clock, you can make it fire as fast as you would like it to.
    http://starmadedock.net/content/volksschiff-clock.2991/

It works by having the rotors move at different speeds to activate basic clocks sequentially. The speed in this version could be compressed, but I left it uncompressed for demonstrative purposes.
    The time it takes for a rotor to get to its destination is inverse relative to max speed. At speed 10/10 (1), the clock takes the base time to move. At speed 10/11, it takes 11/10 the time to move. At speed 10/12 (5/6), it takes 12/10 the time to move. This creates an even delay for the clocks to start. I also have some memory cells in there just so that once the clock is started the rotators cant mess it up.
    I'm working on this one, I want to get it to where it doesn't use delay clocks, because those tend to break.
    If you have questions, ask below.
    Also, Olxinos made an improvement to my clock, the link is here http://starmadedock.net/threads/fastest-and-smallest-clock-you-can-build.8419/#post-124945
    I am not converting to this improvement because I am looking to make the clock more stable another way.
    I don't have pictures of it at the moment, because I'm not at liberty to disclose it from my faction. All I can really say is that wireless logic doesn't have a signal range.
    Here's my (horribly inefficient and old) counter. It counts the number of inputs to the activators regardless of which activators are on.
    http://starmadedock.net/content/logic-counter.2143/updates

It works with a lot of old mumbo jumbo and half adders until I learned how to use full adders and then it uses full adders. It can count to 128 at the highest version I made. I'm really not that proud of it anymore because it was an interesting system to put together, but it was more brute forced than elegant.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I've been wanting to get into making clocks atc for my own ships.

Would be cool if we could make a ship that 100% piloted itself with logic :P

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive

Would be cool if we could make a ship that 100% piloted itself with logic :p
    Yeah, push beam logic could be very fun with that. All you'd really need to do is determine what you want it to do and how much effort you want to put in. You could use long range detectors to detect an enemy, and then you'd sortof be limited to using huge arrays of area triggers to determine where they are. Then it's a matter of determining their size and what to do off of that. Bigger then you? All push beams rotate and fire forwards. Smaller? Push beams rotate in the direction to push the ship towards the other ship and start firing cannons/missile. AI, but stranger :P
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436854889,1436854813][/DOUBLEPOST]Aaaaand now I have a question, with those enemy ship detectors, I wonder if it would be possible to make them directional. I.E. figure out not only that there's an enemy, but where they are, because that would make this possible instead of impossible with the large, laggy arrays of area triggers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yeah, push beam logic could be very fun with that. All you'd really need to do is determine what you want it to do and how much effort you want to put in. You could use long range detectors to detect an enemy, and then you'd sortof be limited to using huge arrays of area triggers to determine where they are. Then it's a matter of determining their size and what to do off of that. Bigger then you? All push beams rotate and fire forwards. Smaller? Push beams rotate in the direction to push the ship towards the other ship and start firing cannons/missile. AI, but stranger :p
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436854889,1436854813][/DOUBLEPOST]Aaaaand now I have a question, with those enemy ship detectors, I wonder if it would be possible to make them directional. I.E. figure out not only that there's an enemy, but where they are, because that would make this possible instead of impossible with the large, laggy arrays of area triggers.
    The problem i see with that is how are you going to detect when one is taking damage apart from the entire hull being logic blocks... And how would one set a coruse to say raid a faction homebase atc

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The problem i see with that is how are you going to detect when one is taking damage apart from the entire hull being logic blocks... And how would one set a coruse to say raid a faction homebase atc
    Yeah, it'd have to be accompanied because it cant do it's own thing without being loaded. Would be interesting if small enough to be an AFK defense.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yeah, it'd have to be accompanied because it cant do it's own thing without being loaded. Would be interesting if small enough to be an AFK defense.
    A massive faction homebase station with some logic blocks to launch heatseekers when raided?

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    A massive faction homebase station with some logic blocks to launch heatseekers when raided?
    That's totally possible now with the detectors some people have made. The only thing I'd be concerned about is when a faction member dies/logs in xD

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    That's totally possible now with the detectors some people have made. The only thing I'd be concerned about is when a faction member dies/logs in xD
    Don't make it cover the whole base just the perimeter of the max size axis. That way people inside the faction homebase can do their own thing and then if someone gets too close it triggers then disable it when someone's online and have a switch for launching

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The hell is that? What does detecting changes in rails have to do with ...
    It detects changes in rails caused by an enemy coming within range of the AI, meaning you can do a lot of detecting in an area without area triggers given a few conditions :P

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Spoiler: NEMO system I don't have pictures of it at the moment, because I'm not at liberty to disclose it from my faction. All I can really say is that wireless logic doesn't have a signal range.
    Pretty sure I've heard enough rumors to understand what this is and how it works, looking forward to seeing it implemented.

Aaaaand now I have a question, with those enemy ship detectors, I wonder if it would be possible to make them directional. I.E. figure out not only that there's an enemy, but where they are, because that would make this possible instead of impossible with the large, laggy arrays of area triggers.
    There's a prototype enemy bearing sensor that I never released (which can detect position of enemy in relation the turret/ship it's measuring from, using two 16-state memory cells to store data for turret bearing and elevation, then combines those to show location), it's bulky and not as stable as I'd like, and I never got around to correcting those issues. Maybe when I have the time and I'm feeling up to it, I'll get something usable out of it. It has to run in parallel with an enemy detector, though, since it doesn't rotate like my published design, and effectively measures the last known direction of an enemy (combined with enemy detection signal, confirms that the enemy is pretty much that way).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Pretty sure I've heard enough rumors to understand what this is and how it works, looking forward to seeing it implemented.

There's a prototype enemy bearing sensor that I never released (which can detect position of enemy in relation the turret/ship it's measuring from, using two 16-state memory cells to store data for turret bearing and elevation, then combines those to show location), it's bulky and not as stable as I'd like, and I never got around to correcting those issues. Maybe when I have the time and I'm feeling up to it, I'll get something usable out of it. It has to run in parallel with an enemy detector, though, since it doesn't rotate like my published design, and effectively measures the last known direction of an enemy (combined with enemy detection signal, confirms that the enemy is pretty much that way).
    why dont you just.......... press N and..........you know, look at the nav menu...........

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    why dont you just.......... press N and..........you know, look at the nav menu...........
    The post I quoted was about the possiblity of a logic-controlled "AI" vessel. Things such as the bearing sensor I prototyped cannot surpass player input, of course, but can possibly enable relatively sophisticated automation.
    And why would you automate something, you are no doubt wondering? Well, why not, I suppose. For the sake of it, as much as for any real advantage.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5

Would be cool if we could make a ship that 100% piloted itself with logic :p
    I've been trying to make something like that, but more for inside a ship
    a special drone train that can be placed in any ship and works.
    using push and pull effects I wanted to make that drone, sensors would detect when they need to push to some side.
    but, this failed, push effect burst can't be directed to a side, like with missiles.
    so I experimented more, and tried docking a ship pointing to the left to then use forward burst, but this also failed, it didn't do anything.

experimenting continues.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive

You should release it, WiP's can be interesting to look at, and some people may be willing to improve them :P

I've been trying to make something like that, but more for inside a ship
    a special drone train that can be placed in any ship and works.
    using push and pull effects I wanted to make that drone, sensors would detect when they need to push to some side.
    but, this failed, push effect burst can't be directed to a side, like with missiles.
    so I experimented more, and tried docking a ship pointing to the left to then use forward burst, but this also failed, it didn't do anything.

experimenting continues.
    You could steer/move to the side with a docked entity that has a push beam.