Video Series - Learn the basics of rails

Reaction score
    How come no one ever makes any text tutorials anymore? These videos are useless to me.

Being mostly deaf isn't THAT uncommon.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    How come no one ever makes any text tutorials anymore? These videos are useless to me.

Not only that, but not everyone has the time to rewatch an entire video for forgetting a detail, a text-tutorial allows a quick&easy search.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10

Not only that, but not everyone has the time to rewatch an entire video for forgetting a detail, a text-tutorial allows a quick&easy search.
    I would suggest a mix of pictures and text, sometimes it can be hard to explain and/or understand text based tutorials, pictures usually helps a lot,

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6

I've started going through adding closed-captions to all the tutorials videos, starting with the rail tutorial videos. This has the added benefit of YouTube having integrated translating for subtitles for other languages, though I'm working with a couple people to also translate the tutorials into the languages of some of our larger Starmade communities as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I've always enjoyed your tutorials, Bench. You've really upped the production level over time and become quite good at making the ideas easy to follow. In your most recent tutorial, I would say that area triggers have always felt a bit sketchy to me, so I look forward to the new detection block you hinted at.

I don't feel like there's been enough done to explain the applications of the pickup rail blocks. It seems like there's more nuance to them than I've seen discussed, anyway. I remember watching someone's ship build a couple of months ago where they had multiple drones launching from and recovering to a single rail, all neat and orderly. Jaw dropping, and I still have no clue how they manage it.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would say that area triggers have always felt a bit sketchy to me, so I look forward to the new detection block you hinted at.
    Will there be a new detection block? Or is it just fixing of the bug with docked entities not being detected?

Reaction score
    I remember watching someone's ship build a couple of months ago where they had multiple drones launching from and recovering to a single rail, all neat and orderly. Jaw dropping, and I still have no clue how they manage it.
    That isn't that hard. Just long and boring to do it.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    With some new functionality out, it's time to refit what we just built, hahaha...

Reactions: Gasboy