Video Series - Learn the basics of rails

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    A lot of us have a grasp over the new rails even before the released update has come out, but still there's a lot of people who don't quite get it. So let's get you up to speed with all you need to know about rails before they're released so you can get into creating crazy contraptions quicker.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    the 01 looks so great, love the spin effect :D

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Help, I can't figure out how to change already placed blocks without removing them.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Help, I can't figure out how to change already placed blocks without removing them.
    Tab+3 and Tab+4 will change the orientation of the block you're facing if it can be orientated

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Wonderful as always Bench. I don't usually watch tutorial videos, but I will probably finish all of these.

Reaction score
    These are all spectacular videos! Glad that the speed cap is server set as well!

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Glad that the speed cap is server set as well!
    On that note, what line of the server.cfg or blockbehaviorconfig.cfg is this variable found? I wanna do some playtesting :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Excellent ! I believe most needed and informative. A great help thanks.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    On that note, what line of the server.cfg or blockbehaviorconfig.cfg is this variable found? I wanna do some playtesting :)
    Unsure i think it's in the blockbehaviorconfig

Reaction score
    The default speed is just way too slow or bugged. I have a massive(!) ship (currently at just under 9,200 mass) and I put a simple sliding platform that slides out to allow docking then it slides in to conceal the ship in the hull of the mothership. The platform is sitting at 56m x 2m x 23m and a mass of 0.2 (because one of those 2 layers is nothing but mass enhancers). Even with a speed module on the rails making it 200%, it would literally take 10 minutes for this platform to move into position.

Is the speed based on the mothership mass?

Edit: Actually, it does look like it bases the speed off the mothership where the rails are mounted... which seems odd.

Last edited:

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    As it's still dev build we haven't balanced the speeds or masses for rails just yet.

If you go to your data/config/blockBehaviorConfig.xml file you want to change the following lines

<RailMassEnhancerFreeMass>2000.0</RailMassEnhancerFreeMass>
    <RailMassEnhancerMassPerEnhancer>200.5</RailMassEnhancerMassPerEnhancer>

I've bumped the numbers up quite large so i can create unimpeded, it does reset each new update though so just something to remember.

Reaction score
    An activation block next to a rail basic goes active when a rail docker is docked to that block or passes over it, the button does the same but then resets after 0.5 seconds. Either of those C->V to a rail basic block when activated will undock something docked there. So, what logic block will send out a signal when something undocks from or has left a particular rail basic block?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    An activation block next to a rail basic goes active when a rail docker is docked to that block or passes over it, the button does the same but then resets after 0.5 seconds. Either of those C->V to a rail basic block when activated will undock something docked there. So, what logic block will send out a signal when something undocks from or has left a particular rail basic block?
    It should be the activation module going inactive, I don't think it's added in yet though. I haven't been around too much to follow up on getting that added in but that method would make the most sense.

Reaction score
    Quick question... do you know if it will be possible to have a rail capture a rail docking block? Say I have a rail docking block that came undone due to my messing about. I want to remount it to the rail, but I can't physically move the ship out of position. It would be nice to have the activated rail capture a rail docker that is one block away.

It would also make it possible to transfer ships from one entity to another if you can release one rail and have another snatch it up.

Reactions: Lukwan

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It should be the activation module going inactive, I don't think it's added in yet though. I haven't been around too much to follow up on getting that added in but that method would make the most sense.
    Just a heads up. You might want to link your vids to the Steam Starmade forums. Many don't know this website exists.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    A bunch of new videos finally :