Vehicles, Drop Ships, and Infantry Combat.

Reaction score
    So I have been doing a lot, and I mean a lot of research on the Idea of boarding, and planetary combat. I think I finally have the perfect solution for both. Lets start with the one that interest me the most planetary combat, first off schema plans to make planets bigger, and flatter in the new universe redesign. okay so vehicles can now be used on planets. That being said the reason you would want to have several tall towers across a planet Orbital turrets, the closer a turret is to a target the more accurate it will be so thus it should be built on a tower of course, most likely people will make them on towers and then fill the towers with energy. to make it like a tall building, thus imitating a city.
    Now the one thing that I couldn't get over was a giant ship just flying in and leveling it with like a hundred missals or something stupid, then it hit me. Make it so weapons can't shoot into an orbit of a planet kind of like a bubble shield from halo, except however make it so turrets and stuff can shoot out. Big ships now can't help the people down on the planet without crashing onto the planet, and getting there ship possibly permanently stuck. Then the reason vehicles would need to be used Infantry wouldn't be targeted by the turrets only ships would be the best way to do this, then the reason you would want tanks now are to take out the enemy infantry from destroying your turrets, because with limited cover most of the time tank beats Infantry. so then you could make it so ships could dock tanks, and other land vehicles you might use, and you attach them to smaller ships (drop ships if you would) to carry an npc squad along with you in the ship, and then deploy the tank, so you can be driving the tank, being followed by your squad of infantry to take out the turrets attacking your ships up above orbit. Thus you have full on ground combat.
    So that way your ships up in orbit can be sending down tanks and troops to your location on ground, to help you take out or even take control of the turrets, turning them against the enemy your facing helping your team up in space so now you can have two wars going on at once, because most flag ship to flag ship combat is usually sitting still from what I have experienced so far.
    So now for docking, you can make it so hand held weapons are immune to shields so that you can fight your way through a ship and use your weapons to be able to blast through doors with the new rocket launchers and stuff, eventually taking out the core of the ship from the inside, and then having someone get in the core after you take it out with your hand held weapons, and turning the ship against the other team if your in a large space battle, or if it's just a single space battle it would be in your best interest because flag ship, to flag ship combat can take hours with the recent updates, but if within 5 minutes you can overrun the ship you just got another ship for your fleet, that's a flag ship class like the one it was battling.
    However if your a smaller ship you can send all the ruminants of your crew over abandoning that ship entirely, and taking over the enemy ship you not only get a win of the battle you just got a ship ten times better then the ship you were flying. So these are my thought if you would like to correct me on anything, or tell me why something wouldn't work I would love to hear it so I can fine tune this idea, and hopefully bring it to the creators of StarMade's attention!​

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Okay okay okay. I get it. Extremely good ideas, don't get me wrong.

But please use paragraphs for people who don't have the patience to read a bundle of words. Possible color coding, too.

I for one would like planetary shielding. They had better be so strong titans cannot get through them, because 60% of all ships ever made by anyone in this game is a titan class.
    Perhaps make gravity so strong that ships cannot easily escape and will crash and destroy itself if it gets pulled in. That combined with planetary "bubble" shielding makes land vehicles a necessity in order to conquer a planet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So ur suggesting we develop the need to bring small ships into a planets orbit while having unlimited sized turrets laying flak on them. Also what stops those "Orbital defense guns" from just angling down wards to pulverize the itty bitty tanks and poor troops with said 10k block weapon system.

I also disagree on putting big ships out of the equation. Instead of having 100% damage neglecting "bubble shields" why not just reduce the damage projectiles deal when entering orbit to about 5% of their initial damage. That would allow for at least some sort of close orbit fire support for ground units that I know some of us like, or even some less destructive orbital bombardment.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    one thing I completely disagree with is a little tiny hand held weapon bullets being able to pass a shield that can hold a doom missile, it is impossible and I don't want the little hand held weapon to be op, also if a hand held weapon fire is immune to shields it will be extremely easy to steal someone's titan. summary I say no and no again to hand held weapons being able to pass through shields and I'm sure anyone that isn't a troll would want that too

Reaction score
    I do agree with the weapons being op, so maybe for ship boarding a hacking device that lets you open doors, and take control of the core of the ship that the shields can still be there, and the ship can't be mortally wounded from the laser weapons, and maybe have something that makes it so if an enemy is on board you can't place blocks so you can't just build a wall around the core, also in the last few updates to the ones asking about the drop ships getting blown to bits by the turrets on the planet, in the last update with how slow firing stuff is now I have found it very easy for a fighter to evade turrets.
    Then with the turrets just blowing the tanks to smithereens, make it so ship turrets only focus on ships, and they could also have another kind of turret that's smaller, that would focus on ground units, but that would be for later. For the people that don't want boarding to be possible they could always make it able to be turned off in the server.cfg.​

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I do agree with the weapons being op, so maybe for ship boarding a hacking device that lets you open doors, and take control of the core of the ship that the shields can still be there, and the ship can't be mortally wounded from the laser weapons, and maybe have something that makes it so if an enemy is on board you can't place blocks so you can't just build a wall around the core, also in the last few updates to the ones asking about the drop ships getting blown to bits by the turrets on the planet, in the last update with how slow firing stuff is now I have found it very easy for a fighter to evade turrets. Then with the turrets just blowing the tanks to smithereens, make it so ship turrets only focus on ships, and they could also have another kind of turret that's smaller, that would focus on ground units, but that would be for later. For the people that don't want boarding to be possible they could always make it able to be turned off in the server.cfg.
    why don't you come back in a couple of months after you have played the game for some time and make a really good suggestion with less flaws, you only joined today, there are people called active members, I come on every day and I have only had 1 of my Ideas implemented into the game out of 20.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So ur suggesting we develop the need to bring small ships into a planets orbit while having unlimited sized turrets laying flak on them. Also what stops those "Orbital defense guns" from just angling down wards to pulverize the itty bitty tanks and poor troops with said 10k block weapon system.

I also disagree on putting big ships out of the equation. Instead of having 100% damage neglecting "bubble shields" why not just reduce the damage projectiles deal when entering orbit to about 5% of their initial damage. That would allow for at least some sort of close orbit fire support for ground units that I know some of us like, or even some less destructive orbital bombardment.
    I don't think missiles should be able to enter the atmosphere at all. Realistically, they'd burn up unless they were shielded, and if they're mainly for space battles no one wants the extra mass of that heat shield slowing missiles down. Gameplay wise, their radius makes them too destructive even if it's cut down to about 5%.
    Even cannon rounds might burn up entering the atmosphere.
    Beams hitting the surface make sense, although their damage and precision would be vastly mitigated by the atmosphere.

The anti-space guns shooting land vehicles might not be as much of an issue as you'd think. For one thing, the AI could be programmed so that it can only shoot either space or land vehicles, but not both. At the very least this would require someone at the turret to change the setting manually, which takes time.

Secondly, add multiple categories of weapons to balance atmospheric, surface to space and space to surface combat. There could be a new effect or something similar to keep from using up too many block IDs.

Space weapons: Default, like what we have now.
    - Nerfed when firing into atmosphere, but slightly less if the entire ship itself is in the atmosphere (star fighter enters the atmosphere to fire at the surface)
    - Normal damage and range when no atmosphere is involved.

Surface to space weapons: Used by planetary defenses
    - Require atmosphere (presumably oxygen or some other reactant) around them to fire
    - Shots are severely nerfed if they hit something inside the atmosphere
    - Shots have normal damage when hitting something outside the atmosphere

Atmospheric weapons: Used by ground vehicles, ground defenses, and atmospheric air vehicles.
    - Higher damage to size ratio. Ground combat would be fast-paced and deadly. This also gives the needed advantage over large anti-capitol defense turrets which would be powerful even with atmospheric interference.
    - Require atmosphere (presumably oxygen or some other reactant) around them to fire
    - Shots dissipate mostly or entirely when they leave the atmosphere

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    I don't think missiles should be able to enter the atmosphere at all. Realistically, they'd burn up unless they were shielded, and if they're mainly for space battles no one wants the extra mass of that heat shield slowing missiles down. Gameplay wise, their radius makes them too destructive even if it's cut down to about 5%.
    Even cannon rounds might burn up entering the atmosphere.
    Beams hitting the surface make sense, although their damage and precision would be vastly mitigated by the atmosphere.

The anti-space guns shooting land vehicles might not be as much of an issue as you'd think. For one thing, the AI could be programmed so that it can only shoot either space or land vehicles, but not both. At the very least this would require someone at the turret to change the setting manually, which takes time.

Secondly, add multiple categories of weapons to balance atmospheric, surface to space and space to surface combat. There could be a new effect or something similar to keep from using up too many block IDs.

Space weapons: Default, like what we have now.
    - Nerfed when firing into atmosphere, but slightly less if the entire ship itself is in the atmosphere (star fighter enters the atmosphere to fire at the surface)
    - Normal damage and range when no atmosphere is involved.

Surface to space weapons: Used by planetary defenses
    - Shots are severely nerfed if they hit something inside the atmosphere
    - Shots have normal damage when hitting something outside the atmosphere

Atmospheric weapons: Used by ground vehicles, ground defenses, and atmospheric air vehicles.
    - Higher damage to size ratio. Ground combat would be fast-paced and deadly. This also gives the needed advantage over large anti-capitol defense turrets which would be powerful even with atmospheric interference.
    - Shots dissipate mostly or entirely when they leave the atmosphere
    I agree with two niner

Reaction score
    why don't you come back in a couple of months after you have played the game for some time and make a really good suggestion with less flaws, you only joined today, there are people called active members, I come on every day and I have only had 1 of my Ideas implemented into the game out of 20.
    Ouch. That is not nice.
    1 out of 20 is already very nice, just look at the thread I poured my sweat and blood into, ignored by the devs.

Reaction score
    Ouch. That is not nice.
    1 out of 20 is already very nice, just look at the thread I poured my sweat and blood into, ignored by the devs.
    Lol little goes he know that my first account was hacked, and I've been playing StarMade, and using the forums for several months xD

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    *Is not even going to bother reading Text Wall*

Reaction score
    I honestly have no idea how to insert those spoiler tags, so...

BEGIN RANT HERE

still several months....
    Says the person that's also only been around for several months.

Seriously, though, was any of that really necessary? Whether or not someone has been around for a few days or been around for a few years, their opinion still has merit, and they may have insights that you don't. For all you know, the person on the other side that's only joined today could be a game developer. Which could possibly mean that he has more experience with these things than you. Am I saying he is? Am I saying he does? No, I'm merely saying that he COULD.

Furthermore, think about what you're doing. This person has, to the best of your knowledge, just started playing today. If that's the way we treat people just because they're new, then what chances do you think there are of new people joining the game and giving constructive input? For that matter, do you really think that reflects well on our community to invoke new people buying the game? The people playing the game could very easily turn a great game into a failure because no one WANTS to play.

So please, think about how you're treating people before you post. Thank you.

END RANT HERE

As for the suggestion itself, I actually do like it with the addition of the space - space, surface to space, and surface to surface weapons. I do think that it does need some variety of space to surface weapons, though, as, realistically speaking, people are going to make some kind of weapon for bombarding planets. That way, not only can you remove the ability for space - space weapons to be able to affect a planet (potentially other than the planetary shields, because with the amount of space on a planet, those can get excessive), but also, the ability to bombard planets would require separate weapon systems, and therefore, separate infrastructure.

That said, I would say that having space - space weapons still work if the start firing in the atmosphere is reasonable. That way, you can have things like shuttles and starfighters that fly into the atmosphere and use their weapons on strafing runs. Alternatively, having surface to surface weapons work in space as well, and just outfit your starfighters with those or something, if you want to have that capacity.

Reactions: Loadout

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ok, so I totally agree with a lot of this, but I have a few suggestions/ideas

Planet atmospheres are going to need to be a LOT bigger

I agree with two niner as well, large ships should be able to go inside planet atmospheres, but with a space gun nerf, this brings me to a new concept, space to surface guns

I think there should only be 2 types, missiles and rail guns

Missiles, there should be a new handheld weapon that shows a target for a capital in orbit to fire upon with space to planet missiles

Rail guns, large extremely fast, bullet, like an amc but with a longer pulse than an amc, it should be able to cut through anything but extremely narrow

I probably could be more in-depth but I'm very tired

Again this concept is great and I hope it gets implemented

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    I honestly have no idea how to insert those spoiler tags, so...

BEGIN RANT HERE

Says the person that's also only been around for several months.

Seriously, though, was any of that really necessary? Whether or not someone has been around for a few days or been around for a few years, their opinion still has merit, and they may have insights that you don't. For all you know, the person on the other side that's only joined today could be a game developer. Which could possibly mean that he has more experience with these things than you. Am I saying he is? Am I saying he does? No, I'm merely saying that he COULD.

Furthermore, think about what you're doing. This person has, to the best of your knowledge, just started playing today. If that's the way we treat people just because they're new, then what chances do you think there are of new people joining the game and giving constructive input? For that matter, do you really think that reflects well on our community to invoke new people buying the game? The people playing the game could very easily turn a great game into a failure because no one WANTS to play.

So please, think about how you're treating people before you post. Thank you.

END RANT HERE

As for the suggestion itself, I actually do like it with the addition of the space - space, surface to space, and surface to surface weapons. I do think that it does need some variety of space to surface weapons, though, as, realistically speaking, people are going to make some kind of weapon for bombarding planets. That way, not only can you remove the ability for space - space weapons to be able to affect a planet (potentially other than the planetary shields, because with the amount of space on a planet, those can get excessive), but also, the ability to bombard planets would require separate weapon systems, and therefore, separate infrastructure.

That said, I would say that having space - space weapons still work if the start firing in the atmosphere is reasonable. That way, you can have things like shuttles and starfighters that fly into the atmosphere and use their weapons on strafing runs. Alternatively, having surface to surface weapons work in space as well, and just outfit your starfighters with those or something, if you want to have that capacity.
    hmmmm.... that is because of the new website, i was ere when beetlebear joined, pre-yogscast.

Reaction score
    What about just adding an effect block.

x% of weapon damage ignores atmosphere (normal weapon does 0 damage when hitting things in atmosphere, even if in atmosphere itself), but damage against targets in space is reduced by x% as well. So you create dedicated bombing/surface weapons but ships utilizing them are severely weakened in normal space fights. Surface Turrets and vehicles have the same trade off to make, surface/space to surface weapons would automatically be smaller, while surface to space weapons have the same damage as usual, putting planetar defenses at an advantage.

Basically, a planetary invasion needs either careful planning and information gathering on the enemy setup or the usage of vastly superior forces storming in taking heavy losses (due to not having enough or having too many dedicated anti-surface weapons or not knowing about the atmosphere/space fighters the enemy has stationed in that underground hangar)

Also, please use paragraphs. It really helps make your suggestion look better and doesnt tire the eyes of the reader so much (scientific fact, dont argue about it)

Reactions: jayman38

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

That said, I would say that having space-space weapons still work if the start firing in the atmosphere is reasonable. That way, you can have things like shuttles and starfighters that fly into the atmosphere and use their weapons on strafing runs. Alternatively, having surface to surface weapons work in space as well, and just outfit your starfighters with those or something, if you want to have that capacity.
    What I was trying to do with the different weapon categories I suggested is to give planet and surface weapons (not space stations, mind you!) a significant advantage against ships in space. I don't think space missiles should be able to reach the surface. Other space weapons should be heavily nerfed when doing so. I did suggest that space weapons still work when firing within an atmosphere, only with a bit of a nerf because they are optimized to fire in vacuum and are hindered by the ambient dense gas of an atmosphere.

I suggested making surface-to-surface weapons only work in atmosphere because I also want them to be more powerful and efficient relative to their size, increasing ground vehicles' advantage against spacecraft. If they could fire in space, they would have to be nerfed like crazy, at least as badly as a beam hitting the surface if not worse. Otherwise, a titan would load up with surface weapons to hit a planet surface and there would be no reason whatsoever for ground attack. In order to motivate ground attacks in-game, there must be an advantage over orbital bombardment.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Combining the planet bubble idea with an orbital bombardment effect module could potentially solve problems. So basically, the effect would make weapons able to pierce through the planet protection/atmosphere bubble and deal 100% damage to planetary installations while at the same time reducing the damage they can do against normal ships to 0 (or close).

It would basically mean that people are required to use specialized orbital bombardment ships which would be very vulnerable to enemy ships/turrets (if the turret is docked to the planet then it should be damageable by the weapon).

So, people could still glass planets with titans but it would come at the cost of very high specialization and risk. It would also make it impossible for anybody to do it with their normal ships.