Recognized User Programmable AI, via a grid system

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Minor correction- It's Lua, not LUA. I know it's trivial, but the official lua site specifically asks people not to spell it LUA.

Last edited:

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The problem I have with this is that I've never found a 2D system that ended up being easier to work with than normal programming. They all end up being convoluted and annoying to use. Additionally theres no need to exclude LUA from the game considering you are likely going to be making the grid system on top of LUA any way. If you spent the effort to learn the visual programming style you could have spent less time learning LUA.
    Thanks for the feed back. I totally agree. I'm pretty sure that :schema:said that there would be some form of script programming. I'm pretty sure he said it would be "Lua", but I can't find the quote. Anyways, I'm just hoping that we get some kind of visual programming method as well. :)

Reactions: Plazmatic

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I know I said that I'd only bump this once.... oops?

I thought I'd bump this again because, it seems that schema or Auburn may have started programming NPC and Bobby AI functions, and I wanted to make sure that they saw this thread before they got started. Hopefully they can find some inspiration here ;)

Also cleaned up the thread a bit.
    I removed allot of LONG posts by LupoCani, Monochroman45, and Plazmatic because they were arguing the merits of allowing script based programming in addition to Icon/Grid based programming. I love the enthusiasm and passion, but since schema has already said he is probably going to do this, the argument is moot, and it's detracting from the original post.
    [doublepost=1473912026,1473911560][/doublepost]Also it looks as if there has been an update to Carnage Heart and the programming capabilities have been upgraded as well.
    I wonder if the improvements in Carnage Heart could help with Bobby AI programming?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Also check up on the game Istrolid it wouldn't take much to expand that AI programming of theirs to 3D and is likely simpler at least for ship AI. :)

Reaction score
    Also check up on the game Istrolid it wouldn't take much to expand that AI programming of theirs to 3D and is likely simpler at least for ship AI. :)
    Ikr. I haven't really dived deep into it, but I've made my fleet almost entirely battery powered now.

expand that AI programming... ...to 3D
    Actually... Although you could just make the circles become spheres, there would be no "objectives" to go too. We should make a big library of all the suggested commands. Anyone who has questions about Istrolid AI: AI that's the wiki page. Or get the game on steam for free.

I don't have time to make big list for now though.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I thought I'd give this thread a bump as well since schema and Bench were asking for AI programming suggestions.
    I like this method over block based programming because it seems a bit more user friendly.
    This would work really well with Lukwan's Idea of a Cyber Space Virtual Enviornment that he posted in my other block based AI programming thread.
    This sounds like a great way to incorporate CyberSpace into SM. A non-physical reality that is, in this case, housed by a single physical block: AI programming block (or whatever). Within this virtual area you can lay out your block-based programming scheme where the blocks are holographic (exist in another dimension). The AI Cyberspace-block will work perfectly until it takes damage or is destroyed (small explosion?). To prevent abuse there can be block-limits, high power-consumption or catastrophic failure (like ship goes haywire for 30 seconds if block is destroyed).

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I thought I'd give this thread a bump as well since schema and Bench were asking for AI programming suggestions.
    I like this method over block based programming because it seems a bit more user friendly.
    This would work really well with Lukwan's Idea of a Cyber Space Virtual Enviornment that he posted in my other block based AI programming thread.
    Fantastic to hear that they are looking at more adaptive, programmable AI!