User-Named Star Systems and Sectors

Reaction score
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a hard time keeping track of (0, 1, 2), (2, 1, 0), (1, 0, 2) and so on, and I'd like the ability to rename systems and sectors. The coordinates would still show, along with a name. This would work best with an additional line on the navbar, changing from:

VoidSys (0, 0, 0), Sec (2, 2, 2)

to, for example:

Sargasso Field (2, 2, 2)
    Araeon System (0, 0, 0)

This could also be useful for navigation; coordinates can get inreasingly difficult to keep track of as you travel more and more, but named landmarks can help to orient yourself.

Some suggested options for limitations:

Name permission config:
    0: Freely-nameable - first come, first serve
    1: Only admins can name
    2: Factions that have settled in a system can name within that system, in addition to admins. (Permissions within the faction would be tied to the faction permissions system already in place)

Name overwriting permission config:
    0: Only admins can overwrite a name
    1: The owner of a station/planet in a sector can overwrite the name, system and uninhabited sector names are admin-only
    2: Freely-overwritable (mostly just useful for closed friends-only servers)

The faction permissions would probably take more work to implement, admittedly, but it's a logical perk for factions to have.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    This... This... This has never been suggested before? This has never been suggested before! Now this is why starmade always needs new members. +1!

Edit: This would be nice with the new faction systems (however they might work). We will need a better starmap though. Oh, and a directional (something?) in your hud to tell you if you are facing '+/-' 'x/y/x'.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    In actuality, this has been suggested a few times, just never got much attention ;)

I agree 100%, although there may be an issue with how starmade deals with systems.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    +1 !
    system name and small description under that :) i would love that,great idea

-you just entered "Sky federation" sector
    -it is highly advisable to leave this sector immediately ,under threat of destruction

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    i think is easier to put a file with random names and the game would do it by itself. but if we get anything, i will support it

Reaction score
    What about random names like dvc-1045 for lawless sectors?
    The two alphabets- dvc in this case, is unique for each solar system. the sector is a random number. Then for planets we can use our current IRL naming system: dvc-a, dvc-b, dvc-c for instance.
    Then, combining this with Skylord's suggestion, the sector/planets/stars can then be renamed to whatever.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What about random names like dvc-1045 for lawless sectors?
    The two alphabets- dvc in this case, is unique for each solar system. the sector is a random number. Then for planets we can use our current IRL naming system: dvc-a, dvc-b, dvc-c for instance.
    Then, combining this with Skylord's suggestion, the sector/planets/stars can then be renamed to whatever.
    Easy to confuse.

How about octree-based names? (not "home-based" stupid firebox dictionary - yes firebox not firefox :D)
    • +++ Alpha
    • 2++ 1-
      • -++ Beta
      • +-+ Kappa / Gamma
      • ++- Zeta / Delta
    • 1+ 2--
      • +-- Epsilon
      • -+- Ny
      • --+ Tau
    • --- Omikron
    I only used names which are write-able with English key-boards without second level keys.
    Then I only used names which have not the same starting letter.

Gamma, Delta are optional G/D are not the correct chars, but gamma and delta are well-known.​

We could just assign hexadecimal numbers for sectors inside a solar system as each has 16 sectors. EFA or 0EF

And give just sol systems a name (would be a lot less names).

Quadrant, Name / Sector - Planet# or Sun=0 => "Alpha EFA / 888-0"
    Once a player has named a system => "Alpha Centauri / 888-0"
    A player has named a sector => "Alpha Centauri / Bad News for you XD"
    A player has named another sector => "Alpha Centauri / Sun damage XXL"

But admins should be able to enter blacklists (=fuck, damn, ...) and whitelists (=choices) for names.
    1. Territories
      • Alpha/Beta/Gamma/Delta for Star-Trek-themed servers
      • Sith, Federation, ... for StarWars-themed servers
      • Eldar, Ork, ... for WH40K-themed servers
    2. Solar System Names
      • lock to default names by an empty whitelist?
      • Centauri, Prime, ...
    3. Sector Names
      • HQ, *_Outpost, ... ((Outpost has a wild-card!!!))
    All names which are not whitelisted require a review by an admin or another member and are report-able.

Maybe it is possible to whitelist names from a dictionary?

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hey, I was just discussing this in tester chat! I agree fully and would love to see this. But yeah, there should be a word blacklist, both for curse words and for things like "Sol system," "Orion Sector," and other things things that have no business being names for randomly-generated systems. Not sure if a whitelist makes sense, though. You wouldn't be able to whitelist every single made-up funky cool-sounding name, so any whitelist would just be limiting.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hey, I was just discussing this in tester chat! I agree fully and would love to see this. But yeah, there should be a word blacklist, both for curse words and for things like "Sol system," "Orion Sector," and other things things that have no business being names for randomly-generated systems. Not sure if a whitelist makes sense, though. You wouldn't be able to whitelist every single made-up funky cool-sounding name, so any whitelist would just be limiting.
    But sometimes somebody has a good reason to call a sector sector or a system system (maybe grey-list it? grey-lists will warn players that they need a good reason to have the name not reported)
    1. Borg System 8472 / Sector 1024 :D
    2. Dave's Sector
    3. Lost System
    4. Hive's Prime System / Sol Sector

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Damn, someone finally gets round to suggesting this!

This could end with some immature stuff going on though. I'll never forget landing on planet Dickbutt...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Damn, someone finally gets round to suggesting this!

This could end with some immature stuff going on though. I'll never forget landing on planet Dickbutt...
    Nor will I forget entering the Alpha Vagina system. But the benefits for the many outweigh the stupidity of the... er, many others.

Reaction score
    Nor will I forget entering the Alpha Vagina system. But the benefits for the many outweigh the stupidity of the... er, many others.
    C'mon it's all part of the fun. I remember seeing the trailer for Spore and thinking 'I'm making a dick'

(I made a dick that had wings and honked at everyone)

I'll look forward putting my space ship into the alpha vagina system ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(It could be stopped with a strict 'no 12 year olds or mental equivalent' rule)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'll look forward putting my space ship into the alpha vagina system ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    That's what I was saying, indirectly. :p
    But sometimes somebody has a good reason to call a sector sector or a system system (maybe grey-list it? grey-lists will warn players that they need a good reason to have the name not reported)
    1. Borg System 8472 / Sector 1024 :D
    2. Dave's Sector
    3. Lost System
    4. Hive's Prime System / Sol Sector
    No, not the words "system" or "sector." I mean things from real life, and things that are something else in a server's 'canon.' You don't want some random 12 year old who discovered Star Trek to go in and call a system 5000 km away from Borg space "xX_THEBORG_Xx."

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    (It could be stopped with a strict 'no 12 year olds or mental equivalent' rule)
    So basically every immature person that plays starmade. That would mean a lot of people won't be playing starmade anymore.

Please, when doing things like that, keep in mind that this isn't spore. Everyone playing spore should be old enough to know what it all means (they would already have had the chapter 'reproduction' with biology), but the people who play starmade will be quite a bit younger. So please, son't make those children have to listen to their parents talking about the 'birds and the bees' when they are just 8 years old. Be sensible and name your stations, ships, planets and asteroids normally. Cool names are encouraged, but don't have any references to that kind of stuff.

We have luckily not all been forced yet to look at pictures of you-know-what with biology, and I would like for it to stay that way.

Ps: you'd think people would get the idea after one time: I already had the chapter 'reproduction' two years ago, but now I need to go through it all again.
    And the pictures are horrible! (Holding my heart and praying it doesn't get smashed to bits in a few months time when I get to chapter 3 with biologie. Again!)

Edit: If I was a moderator, and had the power to ban ip addresses, I would ban anyone who condemned such use of language or objects in games. Luckily for you lot, I'm not.
    And this was kind of meant (as a threat? Nah, but I would watch out with future use of such words in the forum. Just because the moderators, too me at least, seem like reasonable people who will just delete things like that).

Reaction score
    Several of you seem to have missed the bit where I suggested configuration options that could limit renaming on a server to only admins. I'm well aware of how some people could abuse this feature.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    That option seems a bit too limiting. There should however be a 'blacklist' with words that aren't allowed to be used.

Reaction score
    So long as any such blacklist is configurable by server admins, I agree.

I say that because of a lot of experience with overzealous filters in other games.