User-Named Star Systems and Sectors

Reaction score
    Eeeew, blacklisting words. This is a sandbox game. Blacklisting words would just be awful.
    And it does provide some fun going into zones with weird names. Just remember that time in tf2 there you got killed by a sniper with "the penetrator".

EDIT: People don't seem to get what I'm saying. I'm not saying I'm against a serverside blacklist, I'm saying I'm against a universal blacklist, like the word "fuck" being hardcoded in the game to be unavailable.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    No, not the words "system" or "sector." I mean things from real life, and things that are something else in a server's 'canon.' You don't want some random 12 year old who discovered Star Trek to go in and call a system 5000 km away from Borg space "xX_THEBORG_Xx."
    Maybe for some names you have requirements:
    Requirement "Borg" : 1. Be a Borg member. 2. Only near borg space...
    Names System, Sector : requires "Borg"​

But that would exceed a simple white/black/grey-list :)

Maybe you could auto-whitelist (for this system) words used in sectors in x+-3.2 sun systems radius but the name as a whole has to be unique.
    Then factions need to spread out, not just jump into a new space and settle a Teladi or Alliance sector there.

And it does provide some fun going into zones with weird names. Just remember that time in tf2 there you got killed by a sniper with "the penetrator".
    While true, travelling through "fuck you", "mother-fucker" or "stupid whore" outweighs the funny stuff by far - at least on certain servers.
    Probably the game should have a warning point system and be able to remove custom names from one login/IP at once + review all these names in one window.

I don't think white-listed RP servers will have a blacklist (rather they will use white-lists). It would be up to admins to enable or clear it's content.

Reaction score
    Well. Okay. I guess I'm misunderstood.
    A blacklist config is fine by me. I'm only against a hardcoded blacklisted word in the coding.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think people need to relax about "children being exposed" to things. This is the internet, where, regrettably, people can say anything. If you don't want a child to see the word "penis," you shouldn't let them play an online game where that can happen.

I would still like to see an optional blacklist that is editable by server owners. Also, factions needing to control a sector to rename it (which I imagine will be the most commonly selected option, and hopefully the default) would cut down on trolls naming a sector to random obscenities.

I think renaming a star system should require owning a certain percentage (maybe above 50%) of a system to do so (assuming "faction only renaming" is enabled)

Reactions: Ithirahad

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think renaming a star system should require owning a certain percentage (maybe above 50%) of a system to do so (assuming "faction only renaming" is enabled)
    of all planets?
    having to own 16^3=4096 sectors will be a nightmare :)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    of all planets?
    having to own 16^3=4096 sectors will be a nightmare :)
    Ok, I might have underestimated the number of sectors in each system. How about a system is able to be renamed just by whoever owns the most territory in it?

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ok, I might have underestimated the number of sectors in each system. How about a system is able to be renamed just by whoever owns the most territory in it?
    But you should own >50% of alive planets and >3 sectors. else everybody with a faction module can name a system.

@AsherMaximum I don't understand you. what cursing? what is ITT?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    ITT: In This Thread

It was a joke, people gave examples of curse words that should/shouldn't be blacklisted, and you don't normally see any cursing at all on these forums.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    But you should own >50% of alive planets and >3 sectors. else everybody with a faction module can name a planet.

@AsherMaximum I don't understand you. what cursing? what is ITT?
    That's a massive amount of planets. Might be less with the universe restructure (hopefully solar systems that are more realistic and not planets everywhere) but it's still quite a lot. Having the most control over a system to rename it sounds fair to me.

Also, everybody with a faction module already CAN name a planet.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Lolz. I meant a system, not a planet :oops:
    Gotta fix this, else others might not get the point aswell. ;)
    What's wrong with that? If you've got such an issue with someone using a single faction module to rename a system, just go claim some things for your own and over power their naming ability.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Welcome to Thread "Thexare's Suggestion" / Post "Neon's quick response."

What's wrong with that?
    Trollish mean-word spam.

Bad enough if a sector or planet name gets trolled, but a whole system? that should be some investment in time.

Also: The fewer systems you can name, the more time you have to think about a good name. Sectors can have abundant available names. With whole systems this is more annoying

Or do you want:
    Borg System 8274 / Borg Sector 128
    Borg System 8275 / Borg Sector 256
    Borg System 8276 / Borg Sector 64
    Borg System 8277 / BorgSector 2048​
    IT WILL HAPPEN !!!

Now search for sector 2048 (may be a faction module on a sun-station in a void sector near to the next sol system, a faction module on an asteroid or digged 100m into the ground of ANY planet). Good luck searching :p