Universe Patch Brainstorming: Incentives Against Turtling?

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've done something similar to this before. Spawned a single station block as close to a stick shop as I could, then built my station entirely around the shop.
    JinM was rather talking about doing that, BUT also docking a core to one of the rails of the advanced stick shop and enveloping the station built around the shop in an invincible layer (since the shop invincibility transfers to docked) built onto that docked shell.

Reactions: JinM
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    invulnerability is, for the most part, fine, and very important to prevent domination by established factions and random griefers.
    See... I always feel like theoretically that makes sense, but that in practice invulnerable is what makes trolling in Starmade sooo bad. No matter how anti-social someone gets, you just can't touch them. There are no repercussions except to turn to the admins, and that then quickly becomes the way to deal every problem. It's part of why every single attack is often regarded as some kind of rules violation: because there is absolutely no way to retaliate other than to convince admins that the other person broke a rule. It becomes Lawyermade and it seems like politicking with admins often takes precedent in MP.

In most games there is a conflict, contest, or competition. Resolving that competition within the game's rule set is literally what it is all about. If the rule set of a game is rigged to prohibit in-game resolution of the conflict that constitutes its own primary premise, then the game can only be won by clever manipulation (anyone notice an abundance of clever manipulators around?).

So yes... this is a sandbox. It is also a shooter. It bills itself as a "sandbox space shooter."

I enjoy socializing and sharing creations, and would never wish for there not to be options and settings that cater to peaceful play, but... in a shooter, you can't eliminate shooting as a path to success, which is exactly what invulneravility does. It's a rule that contradicts the basic premise. I have always felt that it is choking the game.

It's convenient, but because it's the default it undermines any sense of dynamism, thrill or excitement - replacing those with frustration. Frustration because instead of the racing thrill of "OMG will I even survive this madness?!" It becomes no question of any chance for game over, instead every loss amounts to a "setback." More work. It ends up feeling a bit Chutes and Ladders - it's no challenge to build up to some high level of development. It is pretty much assured of you perservere long enough.

I think HB protection should be a server option, but I think that servers with vulnerable HBs and rather invulnerable regions of space (that come with tradeoffs) will be far more exciting and compelling in most circumstances.

I enjoy playing anyway. Compensations would help, costs and penalties and limitations. It's a shooter though, not just a sandbox, yet if you shoot too many people instead of a shootout, it turns into political wrangling and angry chat windows. Because that is the only effective response to aggression as long as your HB is invulnerable. Admin power. I hate that... it's why the community is so full of discontent; we wage war on-server by smearing each other. That is bad and cannot lead to a happy community.

I just wanna play; you aggress me, I come after you. You got too many friends, I start quietly building a coalition. I love games like that. I played years of Starcraft and Lord of Ultima and other very aggressive MP games and they all would have been boring as hell if there were 1. No chance for failure and 2. No chance for success.

Players often cite other games where HBs are not invulnerable and the game suffers, but there are dozens of examples of games that do expose players to the chance of failure and they are/have been wildly popular.

Sure, it's a sandbox, I love that, but let's not prevent it from being an honest shooter as well. One where people lose. A sandbox, not a padded playpen.

It's a majorly divisive issue. I can turn off HB protection, but the game isn't balanced to handle that. I wish it were balanced for fair play without HB protection, then turning protection on wouldn't hurt play.... and neither would turning it off.

Reaction score
    I have not read every post in this thread, so I apologize for any duplicate ideas. I have played many survival games, including Minecraft and Ark. I also have been in the games industry for many, many years and have perspective that perhaps younger gamers have not yet been exposed to.

1) First and foremost, the HB invulnerability is a great feature. And to provide greater flexibility to server admins, should be able to be toggled off and on like other config settings. This could provide a multitude of games options:
    a) Either PVP with protected HBs or hardcore PVP with no protections.
    b) A time limit for a safe building period before PVP starts, like a lot of Minecraft games. (Some servers are turned over every month)
    c) PVP 'weekends' where anything goes. etc.

2) Protected sectors, (probably near or within a radius of the Galactic Core: 2,2,2)

3) PVP sectors could have additional resource-rich areas or asteroids or artifacts or blueprints or recipes or other reward caches.

4) Limit the size of the protection, much like the shields. An 'invulnerability block' would only provide a certain (fairly small) radius, for smaller ships and power and factories. The 'invulnerability block' would create a shield, like the current shield regen blocks which would only provide protection to those assets within. Once players grew powerful, they would have the means to protect larger ships and assets. This radius could also be set within the config.

5) If you eliminate the invulnerability of the Home Base, you should have the ability to 'hide' your home base from everything except visual id.

Those are some options off the top of my head.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    Making home bases vulnerable does nothing more than encourage people to stay at their home base so they can help defend it if it's attacked. It's not a solution to anything.

What this game needs is reason/s for larger factions to build outposts.

For example, what if there was food (needed to attract/keep AI crew) and fuel (needed to power larger ships); where you can only get food from planets and where you can only get fuel from stars. In this case a larger faction could put a home base near a planet (and be forced to build an outpost near a star to refine/obtain fuel); or they could put a home base near a star (and be forced to build an outpost near a planet to process/obtain food). Now add a third type of outpost - possibly a special high-end metal (titanium maybe?) that you can only get from certain asteroid fields where (if you want strong armour?) you need an asteroid mining outpost. Then think of a vaguely plausible reason for a fourth kind of outpost, and a fifth, and...

Of course once factions start building outposts (to become larger/stronger), they need to defend the outposts, and they need to transport the resources back to their home base, and they'd hopefully use AI fleets for this. Now you've got outposts (that can be attacked), and players (that can be attacked) travelling between outposts and home base, and AI fighter fleets (that can be attacked) defending outposts, and AI transport ships (that can be attacked) taking resources back to home base.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Making home bases vulnerable does nothing more than encourage people to stay at their home base so they can help defend it if it's attacked. It's not a solution to anything.

What this game needs is reason/s for larger factions to build outposts.

For example, what if there was food (needed to attract/keep AI crew) and fuel (needed to power larger ships); where you can only get food from planets and where you can only get fuel from stars. In this case a larger faction could put a home base near a planet (and be forced to build an outpost near a star to refine/obtain fuel); or they could put a home base near a star (and be forced to build an outpost near a planet to process/obtain food). Now add a third type of outpost - possibly a special high-end metal (titanium maybe?) that you can only get from certain asteroid fields where (if you want strong armour?) you need an asteroid mining outpost. Then think of a vaguely plausible reason for a fourth kind of outpost, and a fifth, and...

Of course once factions start building outposts (to become larger/stronger), they need to defend the outposts, and they need to transport the resources back to their home base, and they'd hopefully use AI fleets for this. Now you've got outposts (that can be attacked), and players (that can be attacked) travelling between outposts and home base, and AI fighter fleets (that can be attacked) defending outposts, and AI transport ships (that can be attacked) taking resources back to home base.
    Always comes back around to requiring vulnerable infrastructure. In terms of just 'turtling' that would be the biggest relief of it - you can only field so much mass or power without setting up vulnerable stations and planetary bases which you then have to defend with fleets as well as their own defenses.

Reaction score
    Here is an argument for removing home base immunity.

Completely do away with Home Base Immunity, not a toggle, not an option that is set in the config, remove it completely. Once removed it will force the server community to deal with those factions or players who are causing issues for other players/faction.
    • Either the Dominate faction/factions will wipe out all other lesser factions, reducing the total player population (By causing players to leave the server) or possibly bolstering their ranks (By players joining their faction for protection), leading to massive faction wars for those that have survived.
    • Or the Dominate Faction wipes out all non-faction players and effectively has the server to themselves (Which then becomes co-op survival).
    • The third option is all the lesser factions band together in a coalition and wipe out or keep in check the other major factions.
    In the end, servers will be know by their communities, either they are friendly co-op servers were everyone looks after everyone else's stuff, and the community polices it self, or they they will hostile servers were you play at your own risk, hoping that when you log back on your stuff will still be there, where the only rule is might makes right. Communities that cater to griefing will attract more players that follow that mind set, whereas communities that cater to co-op play will attract players of that mind set. So remove Home Base Immunity (While it might suck a little for single player/survival there is no risk of stuff being attacked while offline), to force the server communities either encourage growth or retard it.

Reaction score
    I think this discussion pretty much failed, its mostly about bouncing back and forth invulnerability opinions. xD

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    See... I always feel like theoretically that makes sense, but that in practice invulnerable is what makes trolling in Starmade sooo bad. No matter how anti-social someone gets, you just can't touch them. There are no repercussions except to turn to the admins, and that then quickly becomes the way to deal every problem. It's part of why every single attack is often regarded as some kind of rules violation: because there is absolutely no way to retaliate other than to convince admins that the other person broke a rule. It becomes Lawyermade and it seems like politicking with admins often takes precedent in MP.
    I just wanna play; you aggress me, I come after you.
    This really sounds like advocating a wild west approach to justice. And let's not forget, the main problem HBI addresses is protection from griefers and other ne'er-do-wells who could care less about retaliation.

I think HB protection should be a server option, but I think that servers with vulnerable HBs and rather invulnerable regions of space (that come with tradeoffs) will be far more exciting and compelling in most circumstances.
    This can already be easily achieved on servers by setting protected mode on sectors. But what's to stop players from popping in and out of protected zones as part of their "tactics". There also needs to be a large neutral zone around the starting sectors that is a no-build no-fire zone where violators have their ships impounded by the Galactic Space Patrol.

So yes... this is a sandbox. It is also a shooter. It bills itself as a "sandbox space shooter."
    Sure, it's a sandbox, I love that, but let's not prevent it from being an honest shooter as well. One where people lose. A sandbox, not a padded playpen.
    Shooter doesn't mean that you must engage in PvP. The game is simply not developed enough to have a satisfactory shooter-experience with random encounters on public servers. As bad as the NPC AI is, at least you can depend on them to not troll your base when you're offline. (and if they do, it's probably because some jerk exploited their ignorance, and manipulated them into blasting you.)

It's a majorly divisive issue. I can turn off HB protection, but the game isn't balanced to handle that. I wish it were balanced for fair play without HB protection, then turning protection on wouldn't hurt play.... and neither would turning it off.
    All of this discussion leads to the point I was trying to make earlier, which is that "turtling" is not a problem. The problem is two-sided. From the turtler's perspective, they either don't want to engage in conflicts with others, or don't find any compelling reason to want to leave their base. From the aggressors perspective, (and let's be clear, those people wanting others to come out and "play" aren't asking for afternoon tea), the problem is that the player base is just way too small. On any given server, there's only a handful of players. If one of the three people on the server just want's to build, that leaves you with one other "target".

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think this discussion pretty much failed, its mostly about bouncing back and forth invulnerability opinions. xD
    Dude, nobody is in here screaming, calling anyone names, or demanding that they be given the right to snipe somebody 3 seconds after they log into a server for the first time.

This thread has remained civil and has had some good discussion.

This thing was a success in my book, even if we haven't solved one of the hardest to even define hurdles in the gameplay right now. :)

Reaction score
    This thing was a success in my book, even if we haven't solved one of the hardest to even define hurdles in the gameplay right now. :)
    I wouldn't say this thread was pointless. There has been some good discussion. But has it solved the issue at it was originally stated, Incentives Against Turtling? Well, it has given people a chance to state their opinions and present some ideas.

I reiterate: this problem is not unique to StarMade; other sandbox games have already faced this; no solution has been reached previously.

The only disappointment for me is the people who suggest that server options be eliminated so that all servers must play by the same rules with zero flexibility. (I'm not referring to the people I quoted, or anyone in particular. The posts speak for themselves.) Do you folks not understand that this is a sandbox game? The whole point is to make it flexible. Yes, every server is going to have its own style based on the people who play there and the choices that the admins make with the server settings. And inevitably, some servers are not going to be PVP. Feel free to play on your PVP servers, but please don't demand that my server also has to be PVP. If you want something brutal, maybe a different game will fit you better.

Long ago, I concluded that this discussion mostly does not affect me because I have no desire to play on a PVP server, as I find sandbox PVP to be broken and utterly intolerable. But really, it affects the game's design, and I'm generally interested in trying to solve problems, and I like helping if I think I can, so I'm staying involved because I want to help. Also, I want to make sure that any effort to fix this doesn't break the game in other ways.

Conflict of any kind is only exciting when there is balance or near-balance, when two belligerents take turns attacking and defending, when strategy and tactics can outmaneuver overwhelming forces, when scarce resources influence behavior, and when a little bit of luck can change the tide. I believe that all of these things can be in StarMade if we want them to be. A little study of game theory demonstrates how important balance is in order to make a game fun for all players. The essence of this problem is, how do we ensure that both the attacker and defender are having fun so that both keep playing? Because if you do win so hard that your opponent chooses not to play any more, then the game is over, and your reward for victory is that you will never play again.

In summary, I think we have at least concluded that we, as a community, want home base invulnerability to be optional. Maybe we also want options for invulnerability at the sector and system levels. We want players to be able to choose to flag and unflag for PVP at the player, structure, and faction levels. We also need resource scarcity in order to motivate players to explore and take risks. And (except maybe for resource scarcity) we want all of these things to be server options so that each server can be fine tuned. We want the game to be flexible, and if we want the community to grow, then we need to make it appealing to new players, and that means offering them time to learn how to play. That's my take-away after reading all the posts here over the last couple of weeks.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    PvP in persistant world sandbox is something no game (maybe other than EVE Online, but again, that can't fully compare to Starmade as they have a whole lot bigger community and prefabricated ships with defined stats that can be rigged to create uber-powerful NPC enforcers with AI almost as smart as your best players in HiSec) came close to fully solve.
    There have been attempts, but even other space building sandboxes like Empyrion have to rely on the admins' discretion in addition to the limited measures (like an offline protection module that can cover an area and make it invulnerable while no member of the faction is online, to prevent at least offline raiding, or that the weapon types for stations have better ranges than ship-mounted counterparts) the game itself offers. Other sandboxes like ARK or Rust simply let the strongest dog f***. ARK in particular has it so bad on their official PvP servers, that most of them (more than 90%) are ruled by a single tribe (we call them "alpha tribes") or alliance, and they simply kill anyone not from that tribe/alliance who even tries as much as build a thatch hut on "their server".

Homebase protection therefore has to stay in some shape or form, whether it is just to grant a "fallback point" or "emergency vault" to prevent a bigger faction or a griefer from simply fully wiping everything you owned off the galaxy, or with all its current features to offer PvE players a safe experience. If anything, it should be an "opt-out" thing, for those who don't mind a high risk, high reward PvP playstyle and want to pursue it. (like the PvP galaxy GenX had, or the faction roles settings I proposed)

Letting the players govern themselves does not work, and relying solely on the community self-policing, is a bad call, and as much as I'd like to believe it is possible, experience points to the opposite. Especially after playing such an anarchy sim in the form of ARK.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I always wanted to see home bases wiped. They end up being more trouble as left over bases just sit there taking up valuable core system sectors. What I'd like instead is a baseline NPC alliance that fosters the players. You sign in to a new server and you get asked "What's your affiliation?" and you are given 5 choices: Merchant Guild, Outcast/Mercenary, Scavenger, Union Military and Raider. Then you get shipped off to that NPC faction's base. That's home. That's fall-back. You get assigned a room with storage, a re-freeable ship, some goodies and a hand full of busy work tasks you can ignore or exploit for more goodies. Form a faction if you like. Others assigned to the same NPC affiliation will be friendly even raiders. Your base get blown up. You run out of ships. Your faction falls apart and someone just New Vegas'd you in the head. You respawn at the affiliation base with a hand full of busy work tasks and pull yourself up by the boot straps. If you were smart you stashed some valuable stuff in your room storage system to speed up the process. Maybe even a filled out blueprint of your old base and a really nasty revenge ship >:3

Reaction score
    You get assigned a room with storage, a re-freeable ship, some goodies and a hand full of busy work tasks you can ignore or exploit for more goodies. Form a faction if you like. Others assigned to the same NPC affiliation will be friendly even raiders.
    I allways wanted to incorporate this into my faction: A little docked room where new faction members or non faction members can store some stuff in and start their adventure.

Sadly people don't care at all for such stuff. They know its way easier to mine 20 minutes and then spawn in their own station where they have all rights and don't have to fear any limitations to creativity and preffered production setup.

To get this working at least my factory setup would have been very elaborated - and thus too complicated for non faction members to use coz of "what button do i have to press i dont understand i dont even understand starmade how am i supposed this special factions unique logic setup?"

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I think they'd be willing to use a room while they mine if there's something to actually DO on the affiliated base. That's an over all problem in SM tho. I've managed to pull some friends in but only if I give them tasks. I don't mind being a quest giver but gotta be online and not everyone plays at the same time :|

Reaction score
    quest giver but gotta be online
    Basically impossible imo to maintain a little bit more gameplay than the vanilla one to faction members, this planning takes so much time. And even if you do most players do preffer unique tasks and want attention. Can't even write it at some taskboard so players search tasks themself, as there is no reward bseides the attention that you can give them.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I did experiment with having a batch of tasks pre-written on displays and logic switch between them with a button press. It kept breaking. I did toss it out because there was no way to acknowledge the user completing the task or swapping tasks when one was fulfilled.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I allways wanted to incorporate this into my faction: A little docked room where new faction members or non faction members can store some stuff in and start their adventure.
    I have done a variation of this to some success in the past by making public factories and refineries on my station.

I keep "the good ones" (the ones connected to my faction stores) upstairs where the public can't get to them, but I put duplicates of the 1x, 10x, and 100x factory lines and a 1,000x refinery out in the public areas with a permission block on them. That way people who don't have a station yet could come to mine, refine their mining materials, and do their crafting. It worked pretty well back in the old days when you could actually carry a bunch of raw materials in your personal inventory.

You could still do the storage space for people though even without docking a room. Build a bunch of rooms in, and use a logic locked rail door to prevent access to the chest inside.

Can even do a small storage area and a small set of factories in each room and make micro-bases. Long as you permission block everything and have a semi-decent door lock (which these days can just be display comparisons, with the "set the password" being a display block inside the room turned so you can't see the face in build mode) and it should be feasible.

Hmmm... you could even make basically an "apartment complex" or "motel" style wing to your base where each micro-base room has it's own docking rail.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I have done a variation of this to some success in the past by making public factories and refineries on my station.

I keep "the good ones" (the ones connected to my faction stores) upstairs where the public can't get to them, but I put duplicates of the 1x, 10x, and 100x factory lines and a 1,000x refinery out in the public areas with a permission block on them. That way people who don't have a station yet could come to mine, refine their mining materials, and do their crafting. It worked pretty well back in the old days when you could actually carry a bunch of raw materials in your personal inventory.

You could still do the storage space for people though even without docking a room. Build a bunch of rooms in, and use a logic locked rail door to prevent access to the chest inside.

Can even do a small storage area and a small set of factories in each room and make micro-bases. Long as you permission block everything and have a semi-decent door lock (which these days can just be display comparisons, with the "set the password" being a display block inside the room turned so you can't see the face in build mode) and it should be feasible.

Hmmm... you could even make basically an "apartment complex" or "motel" style wing to your base where each micro-base room has it's own docking rail.
    I'd love to see that in-game !

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I did experiment with having a batch of tasks pre-written on displays and logic switch between them with a button press. It kept breaking. I did toss it out because there was no way to acknowledge the user completing the task or swapping tasks when one was fulfilled.
    There is one way.

If you set up a standard fetch quest, you can have them put the number of items you asked for in a chest.
    Behind that is another chest set to pull 1 of the desired items per tick, and use a sensor to know when an item is in it. Hook the sensor into a binary counter. Each tick you pull one item over, increment the counter, and take it back out of the chest. When the counter hits the required amount, have it activate the pull on a reward chest for one tick and move the reward into the front chest.

Its a little cumbersome to set up, and it is pretty slow, but it can be made to sort of work.

Reactions: MossyStone48

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Its a little cumbersome to set up, and it is pretty slow, but it can be made to sort of work.
    Got a BP of the logic for that and your door/chest password? I'd love to study that if only to see the theory in practice. I might not have the savvy to actually pull it off tbh. Even with it spelled out for me.