Universe Patch Brainstorming: Incentives Against Turtling?

Reaction score
    I have done a variation of this to some success in the past by making public factories and refineries on my station.

I keep "the good ones" (the ones connected to my faction stores) upstairs where the public can't get to them, but I put duplicates of the 1x, 10x, and 100x factory lines and a 1,000x refinery out in the public areas with a permission block on them. That way people who don't have a station yet could come to mine, refine their mining materials, and do their crafting. It worked pretty well back in the old days when you could actually carry a bunch of raw materials in your personal inventory.

You could still do the storage space for people though even without docking a room. Build a bunch of rooms in, and use a logic locked rail door to prevent access to the chest inside.

Can even do a small storage area and a small set of factories in each room and make micro-bases. Long as you permission block everything and have a semi-decent door lock (which these days can just be display comparisons, with the "set the password" being a display block inside the room turned so you can't see the face in build mode) and it should be feasible.

Hmmm... you could even make basically an "apartment complex" or "motel" style wing to your base where each micro-base room has it's own docking rail.
    I made the same but only a 100 enhancer production line for public usage, and two docked cargo containers that they can claim for their own faction. I call it the "first aid room", with a undeathinator and some medical modules as well.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Got a BP of the logic for that and your door/chest password? I'd love to study that if only to see the theory in practice. I might not have the savvy to actually pull it off tbh. Even with it spelled out for me.
    No, but I've been doing some demo builds for the Logic forum. I'm currently working on a pure logic block based rail door combination lock, but I can put that aside to make something more immediately functional display based lock, and set up the vending machine counter if you like.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MossyStone48
    Reaction score
    I always wanted to see home bases wiped. They end up being more trouble as left over bases just sit there taking up valuable core system sectors. What I'd like instead is a baseline NPC alliance that fosters the players. You sign in to a new server and you get asked "What's your affiliation?" and you are given 5 choices: Merchant Guild, Outcast/Mercenary, Scavenger, Union Military and Raider. Then you get shipped off to that NPC faction's base. That's home. That's fall-back. You get assigned a room with storage, a re-freeable ship, some goodies and a hand full of busy work tasks you can ignore or exploit for more goodies. Form a faction if you like. Others assigned to the same NPC affiliation will be friendly even raiders. Your base get blown up. You run out of ships. Your faction falls apart and someone just New Vegas'd you in the head. You respawn at the affiliation base with a hand full of busy work tasks and pull yourself up by the boot straps. If you were smart you stashed some valuable stuff in your room storage system to speed up the process. Maybe even a filled out blueprint of your old base and a really nasty revenge ship >:3
    I love this idea! Basically every player begins the game already allied to an established power, therefor the work is redistributed into balancing these existing factions, arrangining their styles, resources, locations, and relationships. The question then becomes, how does a player contribute to her faction? And I think that question could be easily answered with a questing system. If this became reality, I would happily kiss the individual home base goodbye.

Reactions: MossyStone48

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Imagine if your tasks had a direct impact on the affiliated group. The more you 'do' the bigger the area of space they control. The more patrols are sent out. The better that group's negotiation posture would be. Which means access to other affiliation's higher tier goods. But there might be a breaking point. Encourage your affiliates to expand too much and, tho there are tons of patrols, no one ever shows up in time to defend your interests. Let's say that because your group is in so well with the Merchants that the Scavvers refuse to sell you anything besides food and water and even those at an ungodly markup.

Reactions: Tolnorus
    Reaction score
    Imagine if your tasks had a direct impact on the affiliated group. The more you 'do' the bigger the area of space they control. The more patrols are sent out. The better that group's negotiation posture would be. Which means access to other affiliation's higher tier goods. But there might be a breaking point. Encourage your affiliates to expand too much and, tho there are tons of patrols, no one ever shows up in time to defend your interests. Let's say that because your group is in so well with the Merchants that the Scavvers refuse to sell you anything besides food and water and even those at an ungodly markup.
    The Trading Guild could be a neutral faction that nobody can join, but are custodians and managers of the galactic market. Each period (perhaps a week), the other factions are ranked based on the progress their members have made by doing tasks for their factions. Rewards are calculated and assigned for the next period, then the ranks are reset to zero for a new period. Rewards could include:

- First access to trade goods
    - A better price for goods
    - Access to special goods only available through this system
    - Usage of a unique object (a special planet or station)
    - Respect of pirates (pirates flee from members of that faction)

Whatever the advantage of being higher rank, there must be a counterbalance. Task rewards could give Prestige in addition to whatever else they might entail, but the Prestige reward (and only the Prestige) is multiplied by a factor that scales inversely with rank, so doing tasks for your faction earns less Prestige at higher rank. Depending on how valuable being top rank is, maybe winning rank 1 disqualifies that faction to win rank 1 in the following period (or two or more periods).

Or maybe there's a mission players can do to spread their faction's influence in a particular system. Say there's a system that is adjacent to other systems already claimed by different factions. Players in all those factions can do an Influence Expansion mission (could be a variety of things), the reward for which is Influence Points assigned to that system for that faction. At the end of the ranking period, Influence Points for every contested system are compared and the winner claims the territory. With our new ranking system, the Leading Faction gets a smaller Influence Point reward per completed mission (some fraction, maybe fixed, or maybe scaled based on other factors) so they can still work to claim it, but it takes more work. The task should possibly have a cooldown for how often it can be performed, maybe allow multiple players perform it together so everyone gets credit from the same instance of the task, to prevent swarming.

Obviously, to prevent faction hopping, changing factions should have some kind of steep penalty, like losing half your Prestige and being forbidden to join a new faction for some period.

Ooh, and best of all, there could be PVP and PVE missions! PVP missions could include something like participating in randomly occurring combat between NPC fleets, that anyone from the fighting factions could join. But players that prefer PVE can still contribute to the faction in other ways, like doing missions involving mining, shipping goods, transporting passengers, cataloguing flora and fauna, scouting star systems, and plenty of tasks that would provide support for PVP efforts. This could be the perfect solution to getting PVPers and PVEers to play together. I'm sure there are players like myself that might like the occasional PVP experience but are not interested in being perpetually flagged.

The coming Universe update will hopefully make it possible for factions to have planets as home bases. The character of each faction could be further distinguished by whether it has a homeworld, how many planetary colonies it has, and what sort of resources exist on those planets.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    i'd like to see more of a hybrid pve/pvp warfare. have a mission sent to all factions disputing the sector that the NPC fleets are engaging one another and this is a chance to score some points. pvers can focus on landing on a bigger ship and taking a turret, boarding a hostile NPC asset or settle for reducing the size of hostile fighter screens. pvpers can focus on dogfighting one another. if they kill someone, vene by accident, who has not killed a player character then they don't get as much points as they would for an NPC. but let's say a capship with three PC crewman destroy another PC crewed ship then they all score those pvp points making them juicy targets for experienced pvpers. once they get killed enough times by another player the reward for killing them goes back down below the NPC reward making them less attractive.

the point is i want them to mix. i want pve players to at least try some pvp on even ground. maybe get a taste for it. but if they refuse to get in the saddle then the pvp players end up ignoring them because they don't affect their rank. the NPCs are more valuable so they can get more prestige to get better loot.