"Unfriendly" rating

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Since there is a friendly rating, it is only logical that there is an unfriendly rating to. Especially since there are many unfriendly people out there.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    We used to have 'inflammatory' as well as a few other ones I can't remember, but they were quickly removed.

People seemingly use 'optimistic' as an unfriendly rating, as it is counted as a neutral (negative) rating. I hate it, why is being optimistic counted as negative?

How about we use this thread as a general rating request thread? I hereby suggest 'TL DR'. Though I might get that an awful lot...

This is how I see the 'optimistic' rating:

Pholopalus

あなたは笑う、あなたは失う
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Negative ratings typically cause more issues than they solve.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    What's that old human adage? "If you are unable to vocalize anything nice about an individual, then remain in a state of silence"

Reactions: CyberTao
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Since there is a friendly rating, it is only logical that there is an unfriendly rating to. Especially since there are many unfriendly people out there.
    I claim credit for this :P

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    The "Optimistic" rating is actually my favorite rating

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Optimistic means different things to different people. It's weird. I consider it neutral, but I know some people take it differently.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Negative ratings typically cause more issues than they solve.
    Not necessarily. It lets us know who is disliked in the community and who people don't get along with. I think that is an important thing to have on any forum.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Not necessarily. It lets us know who is disliked in the community and who people don't get along with. I think that is an important thing to have on any forum.
    While containing some truth, an 'unfriendly' or any other ratings put into place which mark aggressiveness against another member would require some way of automatically tracking both the sender and receiver. That's due to negative ratings being used often by unfriendly and competitively disagreeable folks. Often time they use it more often than or more often against 'friendly' users due to their aggressiveness. In a way it is more of a 'conflict tracker' than a rating. Considering we already have quite a few ways to track where conflicts happen and between who, I'm not sure if that specific purpose would fit it much. Maybe, though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    While containing some truth, an 'unfriendly' or any other ratings put into place which mark aggressiveness against another member would require some way of automatically tracking both the sender and receiver. That's due to negative ratings being used often by unfriendly and competitively disagreeable folks. Often time they use it more often than or more often against 'friendly' users due to their aggressiveness. In a way it is more of a 'conflict tracker' than a rating. Considering we already have quite a few ways to track where conflicts happen and between who, I'm not sure if that specific purpose would fit it much. Maybe, though.
    "Automatically tracking"? What the heck dude, this is an internet forum, not a daycare center, and the mods are there to resolve situations when they become a real problem, not to act as a "big brother" HUAC-type organization that "tracks and monitors" specific forum users they consider "inflammatory". That goes into the realm of corruption and spying, and nobody likes that. You're not actually condoning this kind of malicious behavior, are you?
    We have a report button for a reason. If users feel there is a problem, they can easily just report a post to an admin. That way the admin knows what's actually causing problems and what's not, rather than simply relying on their own personal perception.
    I have seen and personally been in several situations on this forum where the admins waved the banhammer to me as a threat just because they didn't like what I posted, even though other users were not complaining and enjoying it (i namely bring to mind the "Scary Things Megathread"). I know that the admins on this forum each have their own personal biases and beliefs about what's okay and what's not (and that alone is just fine), but problems arise when they choose to do what they want rather than getting an objective view from the community members (obviously, in the form of multiple post reports).

People here deserve to be able to voice their opinions about other users, as long as they aren't deliberately calling them a bunch of hurtful names or outright humiliating/mocking them. That's not aggression, that's called voicing opinions in a respectful manner. If people don't like a person's post, they should be able to vote it with a negative rating like "preposterous" or the former one of "insane!".
    If certain users have a habitual history of actually flaming people or trolling, that obviously does merit moderation. But everyday users simply disliking each other's posts and speaking negatively of each other is a totally different thing. You appear to have confused the two as one.
    The disagree rating is the closest thing we have now to a "dislike" or "thumbs-down" rating, so I prefer to use that sometimes when I simply don't like something a person says, or because I just don't like that person.

On that note, I also do believe that the incident with Ceron from several months ago downvoting hundreds of posts on the forum for no reason does classify as deliberate abuse of the rating system, and I 100% agreed with him being banned for that. But your post, in my opinion, appears to be implying that users should be allowed to voice their dislike for other users on a regular basis when they encounter the other person just from normal non-predatory foruming (and by non-predatory i mean they are not following that other person around the forum downvoting everything they say, which is something ceron did).

Last edited:

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. What I meant to get at is that 'unfriendly' or other negative ratings don't help members identify friendly people or unfriendly people, simply people in conflict... And it's usually very easy to tell that without a rating specifically for it. I didn't mean to imply using it would somehow control or 'babysit' members.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. What I meant to get at is that 'unfriendly' or other negative ratings don't help members identify friendly people or unfriendly people, simply people in conflict... And it's usually very easy to tell that without a rating specifically for it. I didn't mean to imply using it would somehow control or 'babysit' members.
    Ok, but I was moreso addressing the issue of inappropriate and sometimes overbearing forum moderator behavior and forum overmoderation in general. We really aren't that bad a community. The level of "monitoring" I see around here would have been much more appropriate for dangerously hostile forums like the Blockland Forums. Here being a moderator is quite a cakewalk in comparison, in terms of what you have to worry about. Our community is rather well-behaved.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Ok, but I was moreso addressing the issue of inappropriate and sometimes overbearing forum moderator behavior and forum overmoderation in general. We really aren't that bad a community. The level of "monitoring" I see around here would have been much more appropriate for dangerously hostile forums like the Blockland Forums. Here being a moderator is quite a cakewalk in comparison, in terms of what you have to worry about. Our community is rather well-behaved.
    Stand down dude, Furb is like the last person to be bitching about that sort of behavior to.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Stand down dude, Furb is like the last person to be bitching about that sort of behavior to.
    Since he is one of the least biased and most objective + friendly moderators on this forum, what better mod to talk to about this than him? I have never personally had an issue with furb and I doubt I ever will, because he does well at what he does here.

Reaction score
    full disclosure if I rate something optimistic I'm calling you a faggot (because rainbows)
    That would be so fab, my girlfriend who is female and has a vagina and loves my penis would find that funny. Because I'm straight, see. Boobs, cars y'know? TRUCKS and BEER but also FOOTBALL and BIRDS and that.

Also I knew we'd get optimistic ratings from you, you cheeky scrublord.

Looks like you kicked up a shitstorm too, did you get b&? Might read the storm later.