Recognized Turrets system with Pictures - [ Poll]

This?

• Yes, this

• No, not this

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    Sorry four double posting, but I used my amazing paint skills (huehuehue) in order to illustrate what I am trying to say.

Grey line: Hullsurface of mothership.
    Orange box: Powerhouse of turret ( Shares stats with turret, but NOT with the mothership, does not move at all, just supplies turret with effect stats, shields, etc etc etc)
    Green box: Body of turret, rotates horizontally.
    Black line: Barrel, rotates vertical (Like in the original suggestion of this thread)

Turret suggestion.png

This way the turret's body is small (Looks better in my opinion and the possibility of having effective small turret bodies allows customization) but the turret itself can still be powerful. As mentioned in my above post is that the turret's base consumes space that would otherwise be used to furtherly stuff the mothership with shields or guns or other blocks and the base is still limited to the thickness of the ship. So really powerful turrets can exist only where the ship is thick and/or has a lot of surface space for a big turret.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Sorry four double posting, but I used my amazing paint skills (huehuehue) in order to illustrate what I am trying to say.

Grey line: Hullsurface of mothership.
    Orange box: Powerhouse of turret ( Shares stats with turret, but NOT with the mothership, does not move at all, just supplies turret with effect stats, shields, etc etc etc)
    Green box: Body of turret, rotates horizontally.
    Black line: Barrel, rotates vertical (Like in the original suggestion of this thread)

View attachment 9892

This way the turret's body is small (Looks better in my opinion and the possibility of having effective small turret bodies allows customization) but the turret itself can still be powerful. As mentioned in my above post is that the turret's base consumes space that would otherwise be used to furtherly stuff the mothership with shields or guns or other blocks and the base is still limited to the thickness of the ship. So really powerful turrets can exist only where the ship is thick and/or has a lot of surface space for a big turret.
    How would the main ship and the turret base be differentiated? And do you really lose anything with that design by just having the majority of the turret below the armor of the ship, out of sight?

It might make things more complicated than they need to be with this new system.

Reaction score
    By being a whole new entity? The base is part of the turret entity, not the ship entity. And yeah, you lose blocks that you could use for the host ship instead. You sacrfice your main ship's strenght in order to make the turrets stronger.

It's also not that complicated, at all.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I wonder if this will become possible with the Rail System update...
    I'm pretty sure this is planned to be part of the DOCKING update, which will include the rail system, said turret system, and being able to signify which direction things should dock on a docking module.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm pretty sure this is planned to be part of the DOCKING update, which will include the rail system, said turret system, and being able to signify which direction things should dock on a docking module.
    I really hope you're right, I'm waiting for better docking for quite a while now.

Reaction score
    Well, anything that a person has taken so much time in explaining and making pictures for it deserves support. So yeah I definitely like it.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    As the title says, this has already been suggested, but I think not a lot of people understand the concept, so I'm going to explain the whole thing with a picture. I like pictures.

Here are some examples!
    Suggestion 1: Also, please fix turrets firing sideways. Just make the turrets right click instead of left click, please. :D
    Hell yes! This has my support! :)

Reaction score
    The thing with "select barrel hinge block, then connect barrel blocks to it" is great. Technically we could do that for the whole turret, too. "turret body hinge block" select that, then the turret blocks. Of course that would be quite annoying to work with, so it should be possible to not only select every block by itself, but also set 'corner blocks' and every block inbetween those corner blocks is selected, for quicker selection.

Reactions: ltmauve
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Turrets again I'm not sure I can answer much of this until the design of the new turret system is finalised. We also haven't considered the way the Bobby AI will treat rails, this obviously will be part of the development.
    Interesting development: A lack of development.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Seeing as something very much like this system is now clearly in development, should this not be taagged accordingly?

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How about the turret still uses the same base, but has the same turret docking system for the guns? That would allow it to work much better with whats already in the game, however the change to all docking modules (checking if there is a collision, instead of if it fits in side the docking area) would be an amazing change and make docking significantly easier.

Reaction score
    The new update changes the turret system! It enables us to make a turret made out of a base that turns horizontal and a barrel that turns vertical, but I -think- (I've yet to test the update) that the two (barrel and body) would be considered seperate entities and that would be bad, since then you would have a barrel without shielding and a turret without a strong gun. :D We are getting closer to this suggestion, but I don't think we are there yet.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The new update changes the turret system! It enables us to make a turret made out of a base that turns horizontal and a barrel that turns vertical, but I -think- (I've yet to test the update) that the two (barrel and body) would be considered seperate entities and that would be bad, since then you would have a barrel without shielding and a turret without a strong gun. :D We are getting closer to this suggestion, but I don't think we are there yet.
    If the turret base or the host ship have >50% shields the barrel is also shielded.

Reaction score
    Is that how the rail system works, really? But isn't the barrel still considered "not part of the turret" so it would not be controlled by the Buddy AI?

And what if only the host ship has shields but the turret does not? Then the barrel is not shielded, is it?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Is that how the rail system works, really? But isn't the barrel still considered "not part of the turret" so it would not be controlled by the Buddy AI?
    Bobby AI has to be part of the barrel.

And what if only the host ship has shields but the turret does not? Then the barrel is not shielded, is it?
    No, it is. Shielding (if shields >50%) goes down the whole docking chain.

Reaction score
    But if you make the bobby AI the barrel, then it moves up and down, butdoesn't track targets side-ways. Or do you need two AIs? One for the barrel and one for the body?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431313474,1431313230][/DOUBLEPOST]... I'm sorry for asking all those questions. I thought the News Article on this update ends at the bug fixes and did not scroll past it to read the explanation.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    But if you make the bobby AI the barrel, then it moves up and down, butdoesn't track targets side-ways. Or do you need two AIs? One for the barrel and one for the body?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431313474,1431313230][/DOUBLEPOST]... I'm sorry for asking all those questions. I thought the News Article on this update ends at the bug fixes and did not scroll past it to read the explanation.

Just put the Bobby AI on the barrel and it'll both go up and down *and* side to side, I believe.

Reaction score
    Yeah, as I added, sorry for asking the question to begin with. I didn't see the explanation in the News post. <.<