Trivial but effective boosts to station survivability

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It would be a good start to just remove the in-combat shield regen reduction from non-ship entities (station, planet, asteroid).
    Eh, I guess this would be a good way to encourage boarding/landing instead of just blowing the stuff up from space. On the other hand, it'd make ground and station turrets a bit OP...

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    On the other hand, it'd make ground and station turrets a bit OP
    The main problem I see with this is anti-personnel turrets being overpowered. The thing is, they are anyway. If you build them very big, they're impossible to destroy without a ship. That is a problem in itself which needs a separate solution. Focusing purely on ships, making ground/station turrets OP is part of the point.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The main problem I see with this is anti-personnel turrets being overpowered. The thing is, they are anyway. If you build them very big, they're impossible to destroy without a ship. That is a problem in itself which needs a separate solution. Focusing purely on ships, making ground/station turrets OP is part of the point.
    Turrets in ground/station combat can be countered with some kind of hand-held only EMP device that could disable BOBBY AI (or screw up its targeting, making turret fire chaoticaly 360deg round) or blocking turret axis, or disabling (overheating) turret's weapons for, say, 10 seconds. That would be enough to make Man-vs-Machine a little bit (un)fair.
    This handheld weapon should fire large (0.5 meters diameter) slow moving sparking projectiles which should be destroyable with handheld laser/sniper rifle.
    EDIT: forgot to mention it shall only work on entities docked to turretaxis; this will block the use of it on ships.
    [doublepost=1483787013,1483785958][/doublepost]I think boarding will be encouraged if the suggestion with cheap but powerful and super-heavy blocks is implemented, assuming blow torches would still take a minute and not a millenia for each block.
    I agree with the idea of buffing stations, but i think that we should avoid adding hard-coded restrictions to blocks, and focus on tuning the properties of each block in such way, that pros&cons for each block to be placed on station or ship would determine the most appropriate place for that block.
    In other words, one should want placing factory on station/planet not because he can't place it on a ship, but because said factory requires such amounts of power and space and weights such a lot that this factory is very inconvinient to have on a ship.
    So, weight seems to be a fair counterpart. The other counterpart i imagine (mostly for shipyards, factories, spawners etc.) is negative armorhp or shiphp (or both) buff. Say you get -33% to armorhp just because you have a shipyard, eh? That would give a point to consider when designing a carrier.