Tried to Upload Corrupted Skin File?

Reaction score
    • Tester
    So ... you did use the Starter Tool Modding -> Create Custom Skin and saved the new Skin and only said no to the default question ?
    You then did manualy edited the .skin file to match the path to the produced Skin or did you use Modding -> Load Skin ?

i tried those ways .. without success. Using Anna´s male Shepard.

was it the first upload of a skin to that particular Server when it worked ?

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    So ... you did use the Starter Tool Modding -> Create Custom Skin and saved the new Skin and only said no to the default question ?
    You then did manualy edited the .skin file to match the path to the produced Skin or did you use Modding -> Load Skin ?

i tried those ways .. without success. Using Anna´s male Shepard.

was it the first upload of a skin to that particular Server when it worked ?
    well the thing is once you say yes to set as default, you have to completely wipe the game off the harddrive and start fresh to fix the problem, also make sure the admin of the server gets rid of the folder you made with your faulty skin.

and I used modding load skin then wrote the path where i saved the .smskin

as far as a different server it's always been mine, err on mine. before one of the updates, he was fine, but then after an update we had to redo the skin path or maybe I redone the server, either way he had to remake the skin file and said yes to set as default, and noticed the error. We went through step by step on what we each did to make our skin and the only thing different was he said yes to set as default and i did not.

note: when removing you may want to check various places, ie: documents settings, appdata, etc

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    What ever magic you did.. its not working for me.
    Clean install, no appdata, manually put in the skin path Screenshot_3.jpg
    and the skin worked before, also it is shown for me in the game but not for others.
    Screenshot_4.jpg Yes .. that is me .. twice on the same server should be the same skins.

can you upload a log.txt.o from a successful skin upload start of the game ?

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    What ever magic you did.. its not working for me.
    Clean install, no appdata, manually put in the skin path View attachment 10165
    and the skin worked before, also it is shown for me in the game but not for others.
    View attachment 10166 Yes .. that is me .. twice on the same server should be the same skins.

can you upload a log.txt.o from a successful skin upload start of the game ?
    It's not magic, maybe you missed something? Did you have the admin (if the admin isnt you) of the server delete the info about your character that was uploaded to the server?? ie: character folder with skin files etc in it, because it does make that and all the .png's when those errors come up. And clean install....totally wiped from the system? cause some things go to low local or local folder as well. but either way could you let me know the steps you took to setup your skin and game ?

and yes can upload my logs for you....I will edit this when I am done work and supply the info.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    totaly admin ;) ... did run the server local for the test and it was the dedicated server of the same fresh install .. then conencted with two clients to that server to look at each other .

the skin is a working skin i did down load from the content page. (Dead Frank) and it loads fine for the client as always only gets rejected by the server.

to my knowledge SM saves only in its install directory and appdata/roaming/.starmade ... but i have already asked if that is correct. waiting for an answer there.

thanks for looking up that log file

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    totaly admin ;) ... did run the server local for the test and it was the dedicated server of the same fresh install .. then conencted with two clients to that server to look at each other .

the skin is a working skin i did down load from the content page. (Dead Frank) and it loads fine for the client as always only gets rejected by the server.

to my knowledge SM saves only in its install directory and appdata/roaming/.starmade ... but i have already asked if that is correct. waiting for an answer there.

thanks for looking up that log file
    np on the logs. I used CCleaner to make sure nothing is left behind when I removed starmade. I will pm you about the logs.

and yeah about location paths, lol I couldn't remember the exact spot in the appdata area.

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think i found something interesting:
    As you may already now: When you already had your .smskin on the server you won't have a problem with up- and downloading the skin for that player.
    The problem is how the game uploads a skin - at least that's how it looks like when i take a look at whats going on in the server-files...

I logged on a local sever with two accounts (my main and SkinTester0001)

See that?
    After i manually placed my .smskin inside server-skins the "Tried to Upload Corrupted Skin File" message never showed up again. But after logging in with SkinTester0001 (who had another skin selected - yes they were done the same way so there wasn't a technically difference) the error poped up saying that SkinTester tried to do so.

Looking at the log:
    [2015-03-18 20:51:47] [Server(0)][PlS[SkinTester0001 ; id(206)(2)f(0)]] FINISHED DOWNLOADING: C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\StarMade\StarMade\SkinTester0001_skin_upload_tmp.zip
    [2015-03-18 20:51:47] Extracting file: tmpUpload/SkinTester0001.smskin exists: true, is Dir: true. C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\StarMade\StarMade\.\tmpSkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] Extracting file: skin_helmet_diff.png exists: true, is Dir: true. C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] Extracting file: skin_helmet_em.png exists: true, is Dir: true. C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] Extracting file: skin_main_diff.png exists: true, is Dir: true. C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] Extracting file: skin_main_em.png exists: true, is Dir: true. C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_helmet_diff.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] RETRY STATUS: Retries: 11; waiting for pong true (1426708308718/1426708312459); ProcessorID: 1
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_helmet_em.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_main_diff.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_main_em.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by SkinTester0001 //as we already know this error is not valid. The textures are valid PNG files.
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SERVER][UPDATE] WARNING: object local update of PlS[SkinTester0001 ; id(206)(2)f(0)] took 1083
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SERVER][UPDATE] WARNING: object local update of 84 objects took 1094
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [UploadController] File SkinTester0001.smskin does not yet exist and has been defferred over 5 times. NOT Deferring download for obfuscated.y@3b4828a2 //the server fails to locate the .smskin because the files are stored in a PLAYERNAME folder not in a PLAYERNAME.smskin
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SEND][SERVERMESSAGE] [SERVERMSG (type 3): ADMIN WARNING
    Player SkinTester0001
    tried to upload corrupted
    skin file] to RegisteredClient
    : Sedr0 (1) connected: true //server tries to send the not found skin file to the client
    Player SkinTester0001
    skin file] to RegisteredClient: SkinTester0001 (2) connected: true

StarMade seems to extract your skin from the selected .smskin file and upload it to the server as a folder.
    Instead of converting the uploaded files back to .smskin the server now keeps the folder and looks for a PLAYERNAME.smskin
    Then it only finds the PLAYERNAME folder and tries to send the client the 'skin' as .smskin which doesn't work as it is a folder => Corrupted File.

The game uploads the skin inside a folder with the textures unpacked rather than inside a .smskin that includes the packed files.

Juding by that i quess that the games source misses a re-compiling method - or it doesn't call that method - after the server downloaded the textures ('Extracting file:').

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I think i found something interesting:
    As you may already now: When you already had your .smskin on the server you won't have a problem with up- and downloading the skin for that player.
    The problem is how the game uploads a skin - at least that's how it looks like when i take a look at whats going on in the server-files...

I logged on a local sever with two accounts (my main and SkinTester0001)

See that?
    After i manually placed my .smskin inside server-skins the "Tried to Upload Corrupted Skin File" message never showed up again. But after logging in with SkinTester0001 (who had another skin selected - yes they were done the same way so there wasn't a technically difference) the error poped up saying that SkinTester tried to do so.

Looking at the log:
    [2015-03-18 20:51:47] [Server(0)][PlS[SkinTester0001 ; id(206)(2)f(0)]] FINISHED DOWNLOADING: C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\StarMade\StarMade\SkinTester0001_skin_upload_tmp.zip
    [2015-03-18 20:51:47] Extracting file: tmpUpload/SkinTester0001.smskin exists: true, is Dir: true. C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\StarMade\StarMade\.\tmpSkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] Extracting file: skin_helmet_diff.png exists: true, is Dir: true. C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] Extracting file: skin_helmet_em.png exists: true, is Dir: true. C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] Extracting file: skin_main_diff.png exists: true, is Dir: true. C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] Extracting file: skin_main_em.png exists: true, is Dir: true. C:\Users\ME\AppData\Roaming\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_helmet_diff.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] RETRY STATUS: Retries: 11; waiting for pong true (1426708308718/1426708312459); ProcessorID: 1
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_helmet_em.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_main_diff.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by SkinTester0001
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_main_em.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by SkinTester0001 //as we already know this error is not valid. The textures are valid PNG files.
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SERVER][UPDATE] WARNING: object local update of PlS[SkinTester0001 ; id(206)(2)f(0)] took 1083
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [SERVER][UPDATE] WARNING: object local update of 84 objects took 1094
    [2015-03-18 20:51:48] [UploadController] File SkinTester0001.smskin does not yet exist and has been defferred over 5 times. NOT Deferring download for obfuscated.y@3b4828a2 //the server fails to locate the .smskin because the files are stored in a PLAYERNAME folder not in a PLAYERNAME.smskin
    Player SkinTester0001
    skin file] to RegisteredClient
    : Sedr0 (1) connected: true //server tries to send the not found skin file to the client
    Player SkinTester0001
    skin file] to RegisteredClient: SkinTester0001 (2) connected: true

StarMade seems to extract your skin from the selected .smskin file and upload it to the server as a folder.
    Instead of converting the uploaded files back to .smskin the server now keeps the folder and looks for a PLAYERNAME.smskin
    Then it only finds the PLAYERNAME folder and tries to send the client the 'skin' as .smskin which doesn't work as it is a folder => Corrupted File.

The game uploads the skin inside a folder with the textures unpacked rather than inside a .smskin that includes the packed files.

Juding by that i quess that the games source misses a re-compiling method - or it doesn't call that method - after the server downloaded the textures ('Extracting file:').
    awesome, thank you for that, I guess I was a bit off then on my assumption/reasoning on what it was, lol, but really the only thing that was different was the whole set as default question when a friend and I were going over it. haha, figures that had to just happen right when this problem cropped up.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    It is fixed in the latest Hotfix build of the game ... i did nothing ;) ... maybe you did with that report that i did copy to the bug report about this problem. So thanks for that :)