Tried to Upload Corrupted Skin File?

Reaction score
    Whenever I try to join my server it says I tried to upload a corrupted skin file. What's up with that? I'm using Anna's Female Engineer skin.

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Noticed that, too. I quess that this is very likely a bug.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    Hmmm... I tend to give the raw png files not packaged into an .smskin so people can get it as a .smskin on their own computer, to avoid possible bugs for newbies trying out skins, and then to also put those images out in the open as I like to encourage people to make their own variations to suit their own needs.

My guess is there is a bug if this is in your singleplayer game, though I haven't run into the problem myself with any skin, so it's a possible recent bug.

Reaction score
    Hi Anna, I can confirm the girl engineer skin does have some sort of bug but then a LOT of skins apparently do on our multi-player server so i don't think it's yours only. Something in the last update was changed to prevent customized 'invisible' skins by Star-Made is what my server's owner/admin told us as there were several of us (all w/ diff skins) who were getting corrupted errors when logging on.

Hopefully you can get it sorted out with Star-Made and other great skin creators here will know about it so going forward skins can be re-uploaded to work again.

Thanks for your cool girl skins!

Reaction score
    Darn. Still no news on this? Can anyone get their skins to work? If so is it a skin you made or one you downloaded?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reaction score
    I tried multiple things... Nothing worked.
    My friend scanned the forums when I told him about this, I think he said the devs know about it and are gonna fix it after Christmas?

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    Hi Anna, I can confirm the girl engineer skin does have some sort of bug but then a LOT of skins apparently do on our multi-player server so i don't think it's yours only. Something in the last update was changed to prevent customized 'invisible' skins by Star-Made is what my server's owner/admin told us as there were several of us (all w/ diff skins) who were getting corrupted errors when logging on.

Hopefully you can get it sorted out with Star-Made and other great skin creators here will know about it so going forward skins can be re-uploaded to work again.

Could I get the name of the server you play on so I could test skins there and see what happens? Anyone else having problems on their servers and would like to share the name, let me know! It would be good to know if it's one server, all servers, a couple servers, only multiplayer or not, etc. As those things will help narrow down what the specific problem is. ^_^
    [DOUBLEPOST=1419798534,1419795412][/DOUBLEPOST]

I've been trying a few different multiplayer servers with that Engineer girl skin and others, without problems. The only thing I can think "invisible skins" might refer to are skins that use any transparency. But, even the default skin uses transparency, which is why I feel that idea is too odd to be likely. From what I can tell, this is a multiplayer-only bug that doesn't effect all servers. So far I've only tested the Official test server, Mushroom Fleet, and RedShift and had no problems. So next I'd like to find out if the problem lies in specific servers or computers, or settings on either of those. (tested in v0.1867 on all servers except Test server which was v0.1869)

Master1398

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I tried to look for closer details within the log files.
    What i found is that the game fails to recognize PNG files.
    Code:
    [2014-12-28 17:44:20] Extracting file: tmpUpload/Master1398.smskin exists: true, is Dir: true. (...)\StarMade\StarMade\.\tmpMaster1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] Extracting file: skin_helmet_diff.png exists: true, is Dir: true. (...)\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] Extracting file: skin_helmet_em.png exists: true, is Dir: true. (...)\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] Extracting file: skin_main_diff.png exists: true, is Dir: true. (...)\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] Extracting file: skin_main_em.png exists: true, is Dir: true. (...)\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_helmet_diff.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_helmet_em.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_main_diff.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_main_em.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SERVER][UPDATE] WARNING: object local update of PlS[Master1398 ; id(9)(1)f(0)] took 392
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SERVER][UPDATE] WARNING: object local update of 10 objects took 394
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SEND][SERVERMESSAGE] [SERVERMSG (type 3): ADMIN WARNING
    Player Master1398
    tried to upload corrupted
    skin file] to RegisteredClient: Master1398 (1) connected: true
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [CLIENT][POPUP] ERROR: [SERVER]: ADMIN WARNING
    Player Master1398
    skin file

Reactions: AnnaShade017
    Reaction score
    I tried to look for closer details within the log files.
    What i found is that the game fails to recognize PNG files.
    Code:
    [2014-12-28 17:44:20] Extracting file: tmpUpload/Master1398.smskin exists: true, is Dir: true. (...)\StarMade\StarMade\.\tmpMaster1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] Extracting file: skin_helmet_diff.png exists: true, is Dir: true. (...)\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] Extracting file: skin_helmet_em.png exists: true, is Dir: true. (...)\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] Extracting file: skin_main_diff.png exists: true, is Dir: true. (...)\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] Extracting file: skin_main_em.png exists: true, is Dir: true. (...)\StarMade\StarMade\.\server-skins\Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_helmet_diff.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_helmet_em.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_main_diff.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SERVER][SKIN] file skin_main_em.png is not a valid PNG file! Uploaded by Master1398
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SERVER][UPDATE] WARNING: object local update of PlS[Master1398 ; id(9)(1)f(0)] took 392
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SERVER][UPDATE] WARNING: object local update of 10 objects took 394
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [SEND][SERVERMESSAGE] [SERVERMSG (type 3): ADMIN WARNING
    Player Master1398
    skin file] to RegisteredClient: Master1398 (1) connected: true
    [2014-12-28 17:44:21] [CLIENT][POPUP] ERROR: [SERVER]: ADMIN WARNING
    Player Master1398
    skin file
    >".png is not a valid PNG file!"

What.

Reaction score
    I've been trying a few different multiplayer servers with that Engineer girl skin and others, without problems. The only thing I can think "invisible skins" might refer to are skins that use any transparency. But, even the default skin uses transparency, which is why I feel that idea is too odd to be likely. From what I can tell, this is a multiplayer-only bug that doesn't effect all servers. So far I've only tested the Official test server, Mushroom Fleet, and RedShift and had no problems. So next I'd like to find out if the problem lies in specific servers or computers, or settings on either of those. (tested in v0.1867 on all servers except Test server which was v0.1869)
    Thanks for your effort on this. Our server is a white-list private server but if you'd still like to join I can direct you to it, send me a private message. They do have a lot of custom settings so perhaps that's something causing it.

I am able to log on with the skin on, doesn't crash or anything, but the admins say there's error messages with the skins on their end saying the file is corrupted. Again, your skin wasn't the only one, several others by other creators did the same.

Have not tried it again in the past week or so.

Reactions: AnnaShade017
    Reaction score
    For reference and testing purposes if you wish, our server is at the IP "ifmrgaming.com:4242". Server is a default public setup but has not been advertised, so for now there are few players online. Any custom skins are currently returning errors to myself and the other Administrators that they are "corrupted" via in-game notifications. My personal efforts to edit the skin in an attempt to get it to work - such as removing transparencies - have failed, as I stated before.

Master1398

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    No idea if this will help, but I was trying to test a skin I've been working on in my single-player world. It gave me the corrupted skin message, but it still rendered the skin... well, mostly. It also started doing weird things with the colors in a few spots. It still happened when I took off the transparency on the visor, which a few friends said might be causing it.
    After looking online for a fix, I came across this site: http://starmadedock.net/threads/tried-to-upload-corrupted-skin-file.4793/
    No idea if this would help anyone trying to fix it, but I also added some pictures of the blurred spots on my incomplete skin.
    I started my skin by copying the default png files and then editing them with Gimp 2.8, so I'm pretty sure it's not from an improper format.

View attachment 8885
    View attachment 8886
    These were supposed to look like colored grenades, which they did in the picture, but they didn't when I loaded them into the game.
    To th problem with you skin:
    In the launcher(the connection setup and stuff) 'Settings' > 'Show Advanced Settings'
    Now you scroll down and set the options to the following:

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    To th problem with you skin:
    In the launcher(the connection setup and stuff) 'Settings' > 'Show Advanced Settings'
    Now you scroll down and set the options to the following:
    Just did that. Still getting a color bleed in one spot and the corrupted skin message, but otherwise fixed. Thanks.

Reaction score
    Having same problem on home LAN server.

All machines using Win7-64bit.

Tried using several different downloaded skins, skins made using SMSG, and some made using windows paint, same error for all.

Both client and server admin get message about corrupted skin upload. ( admin not restricted, so I guess everyone logging in is admin)

Custom skin not shown for other players but visible to client.

Found that if I manually copied the skin into the server skin folder using same file name for the attempted skin upload everyone could see the correct skin even though we all still get same error message.

No idea if this work-around is already known or if this info will help find fix for the issue, but I haven't found this information in any posts about the problem.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    if there is no admin entered into the admin.txt file on the server than indeed everyone is admin !

and yes a skin already stored on the server will be shown to all other players correctly.
    we sort of did know that. (tested that with my existing skin on the tesserver. it wasnt the default and i could not change its look for everyone else) but good non the less that you talked about that finding of yours. thank you :)
    problem is that the feature for a player to set his skin new is broken for every skin right now.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    actually i figured out that when using the skin or .smskin creator if you say yes when it asks " do you want this skin set as default?" or something to that effect, That is what causes the error. I tested this multiple times. when asked if you want to set it as default select no and go find where it saved your skin then select a skin as normal, you may have to type in the path to your .smskin file though, as I had to and I don't have any errors, but a friend of mine that is using the same skin files as me has this issue you are having and he said yes when asked to set it as default.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    are you sure you have been admin on the server when you did test that ?
    did you actualy used a different skin than before the test?

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    are you sure you have been admin on the server when you did test that ?
    did you actualy used a different skin than before the test?
    Yes, its my server, and yes i had my own skin till i used another (male shepard) for me it works fine since i did not say yes to the set as default when it asked, however my friend used the same skin but said yes and his comes up invalid.