Thought these might be worth discussing?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm pretty sure this has been fixed because I tried it and it didn't work.

Reaction score
    I'm pretty sure this has been fixed because I tried it and it didn't work.
    i'm pretty sure that ther wasn't any patch that changed this.
    you just have to set the right angles on the reactor calibration to achive it. and it also works with only 6 groups instead of 8 when placed right.

Reactions: Dire Venom

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    i'm pretty sure that ther wasn't any patch that changed this.
    you just have to set the right angles on the reactor calibration to achive it. and it also works with only 6 groups instead of 8 when placed right.
    See if you can still get it to work. I’d kind of like to know.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    They were all built yesterday on v2.00.335....
    I was building with aprox 1:1 stabilizer:reactor ratio, taking reactor block count divided by 8 then inverse cube and get the nearest cuboid to those dimensions, rounding up to odd.
    Place your reactor, turn your y-axis angle to 45', set all your plains on, and place one group of stabilizers down so that the plains mirror all eight stabilizer groups with a gap of 3 between each group and at a distance from the reactor so as you have 100% stability. At that point it should be showing you 4/6 dimensions used.
    From there just remove/replace the stabilizer groups increasing one of the gaps between them by one each time. (Basically just moving the stabs out in one dimension by one block at a time.) Each time you do this shift the other reactor alignment sliders, one at a time to 45'. To start with this will result in your dimensions falling from 4/6 to 2/6 and getting worse overall stabilization. But keep doing it and there will come a point where the dimensions go from 4/6 to 6/6. The stabilization will be way over 100% so you can now move the stabilizer groups back toward the reactor to reduce the stabilizer buffer as desired.... and Bob's your uncle. You've (ab)used the reactor alignment mechanic to achieve a 6 dimensional reactor in a configuration that results in the smallest possible total dimensional volume of the power system... which happens to be a long rectangular box.

ps. I found the easiest reactor size to demonstrate /test this with was the 199 reactor. the stabilizers can be nice 3x3x3 blocks and you don't have to do much to get to the 6/6 break point. Ie: reactor 199 @ 5x5x8(-1) and 8x stabilizer groups of 3x3x3 for a ratio of 199:216

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    It looks like you just need to rotate two reactor axes to 45deg, then keep the angle of the stabilizer streams higher than 4 or 5 degrees in order to get the 6 side bonus.
    You can also get 100%(+1.8%) with a 50x7x7 box with 122 integrity, and save 1195 m^3.

I didn't have to do any strange fiddling; just set the axes, and place the stabilizers. I think it just checks the distance between groups, and their angle from the reactor center of mass.
    starmade-screenshot-0002.png
    *4 or 5 degrees is is just my best guess at the minimum given the 1m resolution of the cubes. I estimate my small ship was about 6.3deg, and your biggest ship looks to be about 4.25deg.

Reaction score
    You only need 6 stabilizer groups though, 3 in front and 3 back.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think the extra 2 groups just simplify making equal groups with symmetry. Other wise you'd need to arrange the groups into two triangular arrangements:

Code:
     S   RR  S S
    S S  RR   S

Reaction score
    I've noticed that multiple stabilizers in almost any form are more effective than a single big one. Even a several stab cubes back to back with no angular difference seem to be much more efficient than an single stab group.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Just one more major thing that needs to be fixed.

Reaction score
    At most you can maybe make your ship 1-3% more efficient by exploiting it. While it's definitely a bug it's not really game breaking compared to other issues.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I don't quite see how this is a bug or an exploit. Isn't this expected behavior?
    Would it improve things if there was a much smaller tolerance for the stabilizer groups to be non-orthogonal to one of the reactor planes?

Reactions: NuclearFun
    Reaction score
    Without the weapons update i am not going to fret too much about balance, right now it is bad though (just try charging a jump drive).
    In my eyes this "exploit" could be the first step into a learning curve for new players - like the dimensional power lines from the past.
    There are enough downsides (vulnerabilities) and i hope that it isn't going to be "fixed".

Reactions: Brokengauge
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    At most you can maybe make your ship 1-3% more efficient by exploiting it. While it's definitely a bug it's not really game breaking compared to other issues.

3.7% vs 32.3% stabilization buffer with a size 200 reactor and 8x 3^3 stabilizers all else being equal, (except for Y dimension which is 3 taller of course.)

starmade-screenshot-0024.png

EDIT:
    I don't quite see how this is a bug or an exploit. Isn't this expected behavior?
    Well it leads to a certain shape being considerably more powerful then other shapes... an issue the reactor dimensions patch was actually supposed to fix. So the dimensions patch has really only morphed the issue it was intended to resolve.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well it leads to a certain shape being considerably more powerful then other shapes... an issue the reactor dimensions patch was actually supposed to fix. So the dimensions patch has really only morphed the issue it was intended to resolve.
    This is precisely the problem.

Reactions: LoSboccacc
    Reaction score
    There will always be better things than others until schine stops to think that they can fine tune the fixed numbers that they give us instead of homogeneous formulas. Especially when talking about ship's shapes. And well, there will always be better shapes than others cuz, you know. The ability for the ship's shape to be able to take hits and move around matters a lot when engineering your and that can't be changed.

A vertical ship will always be thin while a horizontal one will be more bulky (compared to the vertical one) because they don't use the same basic idea to survive.

Reaction score
    what no one seems to see is that this still achives the goal to make any shape possible without the need do go extreem long in one singular direction.

you just found the new meta for placing reactor and stabilizer blocks... that does not neccisarily make any other placement less viable.

and you still have to place other systems in your ship...

another flaw of this placement is that the valuable parts of your ship are verry close together and thus easier to hit...