This game needs a concept similar to REDSTONE. User made contraptions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Couldn\'t help but laugh at lights being underpowered. Are they supposed to blind the enemy to death heh. In all seriousness I\'ve been wanting something redstone\'ish for lights so I could design flashing lights for a runway. Whether they are programmed by something like redstone or something completely different I think it would be a cool feature, yet something for future gameplay.

Also no one needs redstone for doors..... Simply have plex doors that cover your required area, in one corner have a 1x1 line of them going to your system core so you can open close from there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just have a line of 1x1 plex doors running from your control room directly to the corresponding docks. It\'s what I have planned for my ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yus! I forgot about making pasword protected things.

I think though it could be more like the mincraft method though, where switches need to be activated in a certain order to activate a door. If we make terminals where you can enter paswords and such, it takes the fun out of building elaborate systems that other players can try and figure out. The more switches and connections you make to the main terminal, the more complex the lock would be.

I just thought up a cool trap: Trap Ships. These are ships that are equipped with a sensor that triggers when someone enters the ship core. This activates the Master Computer command that sends an output to some hidden disintigrator blocks. It could even be like a failsafe, so that only people of your faction could fly your ship, but if another faction tries to enter it, KABOOM.

Works great for \"magnetic\" proximity mines. Sensor on one side of a cluster of disitegrator blocks, computer output to some engines. Sensor sees a ship entering the sector and targets it. Computer program says to activate engines when targeted. Engines fire and because the ship is targeted, follows the ships course exactly. Ship slows down, even just a little, and the mine catches up, blasting a gaping hole in the Hull!

All of this depends on this programable computer system, but i really hope it gets implemented!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think that mines could be an extention of the BobbyAI, if armed with disintergrator blocks it can be set to just fly towards the nearest enemy ship and explode. I really like that idea, it\'d let factions have an extra layer of defenses at their homebase.

Reaction score
    I don\'t know if anybody has suggested this yet, but we could use something like Notch was planning to have in 0x10c, a \"controller block\" which would open an interface where you could script your input/output based on inputs & outputs of other blocks connected to the controller block

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Eeh. I kind of think that Starmade\'s got a different schtick going on, that means circuitry and logic gates on that level kind of seem silly with the block scales we have, as gigantic cables that take up an entire block in space seem ridiculous considering we have computers in our ships that take up a block and by their very nature have multiple subsystems and have more than just one wire in them.

Honestly, the only way I could see a more intricate logic gate circuit system working for mechanisms is if maybe there was another computer-type block that when entered, pops up a UI where circuits can be drawn out of different colours (wire resistances and types, with various blobs representing certain premade components). This can then cause a specific effect when you click a button on that block when not inside the block, for example remote activation of the plexidoors, suitable for cargo ships.

However, my gut feeling with my own counter-suggestion is that it\'s adding a minigame we don\'t need for minimal actual result.

Ox10^c\'s idea of having a programmeable command interface in its space-adventure-buildy-explory-game (SABEG, as I dub them nowadays) kinda works as a cool idea due to the flexibility available as one is actually writing real programs for an operating system, but it might be a bit too far out of the way for Starmade to do the same.

Honestly, I think the circuitry idea\'s just uncessary, adding complexity for little payoff. Unless we have a good reason to want logic gates and such circuitry in the game, there\'s no point really worrying about its absence.

I\'d wait until the game\'s in a later stage of release. If enough people want it, someone will figure out a mod to put it in, which will give the devs free testing of ideas before they\'ve even started to code or draw.

Reaction score
    To open hangar doors: The docking beam activates plexdoors. Unless you have BOBBY fighters, you\'ll be fine.

Reaction score
    \"To open hangar doors: The docking beam activates plexdoors. Unless you have BOBBY fighters, you\'ll be fine.\"

yeah there\'s that but to think of it, your target is to open the doors and to accomplish that you need to use a docking beam, when you could just remotely open the doors with some kind of computer in your bridge or whatever..

also, circuitry might seem unnecessary at the beginning of the game, but if you want to build complex facilities/ ships/ bases, circuitry is a must

that\'s my opinion

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If circuitry (logic) is ever added, I really hope they make it far, far more compact than redstone. It would be a nice thing to include, but there would also be few things more frustrating that needing an 4x6x6 volume in addition to a 3x3 door space in order to make a simple sliding door open on command.

However, this kind of in-game logic would have some pretty stark benefits. Somebody mentioned above that simple block-block linking would solve the problem, but such a system would be far less flexible. After all, if this was done, there would have to be a separate command/designation as to whether linking a door to a trigger block would a) lock the door, b) unlock the door, c) open the door, d) close the door. It would be much easier for schema to maintain in-game logic than to maintain every possible thing that anyone might want to do with starmade modules.

So, for there to be a strong appeal to add a sort of in-game logic, I feel like there would need to be a stronger need for it. Right now, other than triggering lights, doors (and combination locks), and gravity, I don\'t feel like there is much else that can be done...yet. Later, when the game becomes more complex, I could see a more urgent need for logic. For instance, if some sort of power transfer module becomes necessary, so that you can divert dedicated weapon/engine/shield power arrays towards a single subsystem. In this case you could use logic gates to control which power conduits are active/inactive.

Reaction score
    If you ask me we don\'t need to add new content into the game before it is more stablized, anyway for for wires and such that really should be given at some point in the future, also you could have just said wiring instead of REDSTONE we would have still understood the point,although Redstone is something that most of us know anyway.

Reaction score
    although i dont think this should be priority. i do support the idea of haveing a logic system that allows players to make contractions in StarMade. one idea would be to make Circut Boards on a soldering table. you could make placeable circit boards by interacting with the table. a GUI would come out that would look like a large rectagle with many dots on it in a grid fasion. you could link dots together with wire or place companits, like resisters on the dots. of corse it would have to be simplified from REAL circut makeing. but it think it would make a very inticate way of createing complex contraptions to do virtrally anything.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I must second Fireside here.

I don\'t think something like restone/wiring/tubing is neccessary right now.

And an additional reason for this? There\'s already a bit of a system already present. Just look at how you connect cannon blocks to a computer. You already have a connection system in the game, and it doesn\'t need the players to lay track of connector wires.

The only limitations is that it hasn\'t been adapted for other uses, but it would be very easy to tweak it(I think) to run stuff like \"door computers\" and a plethora of other such systems in a wireless/connector-less fashion by associating systems with the proper computer(or \"switch\").

In other words, this suggesting is one I feel as needless only purely because a system to do a lot of what it would asks for is, well, already there.

Reaction score
    Well the basic idea is great, but its a Space Station or a ship. Ther will be Circuitry on it. So i think its not neccesary to put wires or energy tubes in it. But the functions, connected and on by the good ol C n V buttons.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like it, Fireside. If the it was a logic system instead of a command system, it would allow for some pretty interesting contraptions to be built, and let the player feel very accomplished when he/she FINALLY figures out how to wire something up.

WHOA... I had an interesting thought... What if the wiring could be manipulated in EVERY hull block? naaah... way to complex. Best just to put in a new block called a circuit block. You would interface with a circuit block the same way you do with a computer, by pressing R, which would bring up a UI allowing manipulation of circuits. Circuit blocks would have wiring on all 6 sides, and the wires, when connected to an edge, would either connect down the next side, or to the next connected circuit block. Each one would have to be manipulated seperately, but would be able to have up to 8 seperate circuits running through them. I will make a quick image to show what i mean!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So here is what I was thinking for the circuit blocks. Within the interface, there would be options to place down wiring as pixels on a 16x16 grid. Because the circuits cannot touch eachother, the maximum number on a sigle block would be 8. There would also be objects like switches, repeaters, clocks or other such things. Or maybe the challenge would be to make these things using only the redstone system of O/I with \"torches\" (circuit nodes?) inverting the signal.

On the diagram above, the red and the green circuits would appear as sigle pixels in the aliging spaces on the neighboring sides, or on the block next door. The blue block doesn\'t break the outer edge of the block, therfore leads to nothing. The thing in the middle is a... thing.

Okay quick someone who knows more about wiring and electicity please take over. I know seriously next to nothing, just how the idea might work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    If some kind of redstone logic would be implemented it this game will have boost of players and servers.

Like i couldnt imagen minecraft without redstone.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    That\'s just peachy.

Too bad this isn\'t minecraft. Starmade and minecraft are two completely different games. Stop trying to make them the same thing.

Reaction score
    If you have to add these in fighters, they\'ll be the size of frigates or cruisers.

Who needs wires when we have WIRELESS?

All that needs to be said.